Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
Hoping you ladies can help - I have dead straight hair. So if I want to do a Betty Page/Bernie Dexter I am fine. But if I want to do 1940s, I start running into trouble.

To add to my woes - I ride (pushbike) to work four days a week, and shower when I get to work. So I am not really in a position to have curlers, or spend a lot of time in the morning doing complicated rolls etc. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do? I saw a fantastic tutorial on YouTube about making victory rolls in five minutes, I just have to find hair sponges (hair rats?) to help me put it together. But any other ideas from you clever gals would be most appreciated!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
MegamiOrchard said:
Hoping you ladies can help - I have dead straight hair. So if I want to do a Betty Page/Bernie Dexter I am fine. But if I want to do 1940s, I start running into trouble.

To add to my woes - I ride (pushbike) to work four days a week, and shower when I get to work. So I am not really in a position to have curlers, or spend a lot of time in the morning doing complicated rolls etc. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do? I saw a fantastic tutorial on YouTube about making victory rolls in five minutes, I just have to find hair sponges (hair rats?) to help me put it together. But any other ideas from you clever gals would be most appreciated!

I saw a style in the 1940's hairstyle book that would work great with pants and more casual dresses/skirts. You part your hair down the center, then braid a long scarf into two plaits on either side. You then tie the scarf in a knot in the back. I have tried this but my hair is not quite long enough. I don't have the book anymore or I'd scan the page. Maybe someone here can explain it better than I though.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
MegamiOrchard said:

My hair is arrow straight as well. I've found that if I sleep in hard plastic rollers my curls last all day. If you did that all you'd have to do is take them out.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Lilredrooster said:
OH MY!!! you are SO cute!!! i have to know how did you get the wave in the front like that? also how long is your hair when it's not curled? do you have bangs or is your hair all one length?
i would love to see a before, during and then after pic if you could.....may be one with you hair al la natural' then one with it all pinned up so we can see the way you pin and curl it and then one when it's done.
this is the look i have been trying to get and you pull it off so well and make it look so easy!

Thank you!!!!

Ok...well, I have some tricks... I may at some point do a tutorial on how I do it since a few people have asked.

For the front, I usually part it to the side out of habit to do rolls because I do like more height on one side. For a waved pomp, I actually part it into thirds. The middle is the most crucial. I have my wet just washed hair and I comb the section. I hold it by the ends upright and gently sort of 'pool' it into ripples, if that makes sense. Once I have it in position like that I take long metal wave clips which you can find at a drugstore and clip it through the deepest part of the wave...then I clip it on the next ripple. The aim is to make the part rippling out crisper by waving the inward ripples more deeply with the clips. That is the hardest part. The sides I pin on top of my head leaving the part near the temples a bit looser. I put a wave clip on each side. I will use some setting spray and once it dries like this, the set will last until washed. Now...sometimes things shirt around while sleeping, so an easy way to touch it up...or to deepen the waves is your curling iron. Use it backwards with the barrel on top of your hair and the thin clip behind.

For the rolls, I cheat. I made rats from hair from my hairbrush (which is why I pin the sides up instead of rolling). I do not have bangs anymore and my hair has a SLIGHT wave that helps things, and it is a little past my shoulders straight. My hair is layered. I am at the end of a laborious process of growing out a short layered haircut. I do plan to get a neater trim up following a period hair chart.

I also cheat to make the pin curls. I roll them all clockwise and I use a MAC Lipglass tube to roll it. :)

I posted this pic elsewhere on the thread, but here is an alternate view of the waves. They were the only thing that survived the 90 degree weather in Philly this summer.
DSCN0261.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
NoirDame said:
Ok...well, I have some tricks... I may at some point do a tutorial on how I do it since a few people have asked.

DSCN0261.jpg

Please, please post a tutorial! I adore that front pomp--I'm going to try your 3 section trick the next time I set my hair.

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
NoirDame said:
I posted this pic elsewhere on the thread, but here is an alternate view of the waves. They were the only thing that survived the 90 degree weather in Philly this summer.
DSCN0261.jpg

Your hair looks fantastic! I'd love to see a tutorial too.

Antje

One Too Many
Oh Noirdame,

faboulus, I love the wave in the front, I also want to know how you did it,
I hope to get my hair set tomorow,
I just saw the movie blackbook (zwartboek) and I got really inspired by the hair of Carice van Houten

I hope to post a Pic soon

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
You part your hair down the center, then braid a long scarf into two plaits on either side.

So by this do you mean include the scarf as one of the strands in the plait? I guess that could work. If you ever get a chance to scan a picture I would be very grateful.

PinkDahlia - I get what you are saying, and it is what I will probably do on non-riding days. But since I am riding, I perspire, and have to shower and wash my hair, which would wash out the curls. Oh, the dilemmas!:eusa_doh:

NoirDame - wow, your wave is fabulous!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
an exciting day

I was thrilled to have a really good hair day for our Seattle get together. I even wore it to work this day and all were amazed so that was fun! I have my usual flyaways and stuck my curls in a net, which I had never tried before.

IMG_4548-1.jpg

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Looks great Barbi! I would like to find a snood myself for days when I don't feel like rolling a set back up for sleeping.

Adele

One of the Regulars
A big thank you to Emmababy, imoldfashioned, Miss Brill, pennyseranade (which by the way, you literally made me laugh out loud with the camera comment, hahah), Audrey Horne, goldwyn girl, and deadpandiva.

I'd love it if you would do a tutorial or something!

I am going to try to hopefully make one by this week. I'm not the best at explaining, so I hope it's understandable (I'll try to make it as photo explanatory as I can, rather than just all verbal - if I make any sense).

Lastly, my compliments to NoirDame and Barbigirl.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
^ I love your roles. Everyones hair is amazing as always.
Here's my less curly look. I think it's more glamour girl and less house wife. It takes less time too.
Picture947.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24