Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Last_Chael said:
Bahahah I always loved Olivia Newton John's character! But maybe that because I'm also an Aussie and I thought it would be so cool to move to the U and go to school there *sigh* :p Grease is one of the reasons I LOVE vintage!

I've not seen Dirty Dancing, but I did catch the sequel (which is actually a prequel) as the midday movie. It's set in the 50's and boy were there some GORGEOUS dresses in it! It's the main reason I kept it on (oh and the dancing, I LOVE to dance!).

Hmmm must try to remember to post photos of my new hairdo!

I haven't seen DD2, but I did not hear good things. The original DD is definitely the one to see.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I need urgent hair help. I'm going to a vaguely 60's style wedding this weekend and need advice on hair. I'd like a beehive type arrangement but can't seem to find any instructions that make sense on the internet. I know its out of this sites area of expertise but can anyone help me?

eek!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
I need urgent hair help. I'm going to a vaguely 60's style wedding this weekend and need advice on hair. I'd like a beehive type arrangement but can't seem to find any instructions that make sense on the internet. I know its out of this sites area of expertise but can anyone help me?

eek!

Beehive:

http://www.hairarchives.com/private/archive2/beehive/beehive.htm

A few other unsolicited suggestions:) :

http://www.hairarchives.com/private/archive2/flip/flip.htm

http://www.hairarchives.com/private/archive2/hairstyle3/early60slook.htm

texasgirl

One Too Many
I am currently getting a little obsessed with Mad Men. Here are some photos of their hair- more on the website :) I think one of the key 60s traits is height in the crown area

Betty2C20Joan2C20Peggy.jpg

Joan.jpg

Ep9_07_MadMenep109_MG_5065.jpg

Ep9_04_MadMenep109_MG_4218.jpg

Ep105_02_MadMenep105_MG_2879.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
I'm still stuck in the experimenting stage and I still haven't found a set pattern I'm completely happy with. It's so quick to roll my hair now that I'm seriously considering having the hairdresser adjust the sides so I don't have to tuck them behind my ears because fullness at the sides doesn't flatter me.

:eek:fftopic: I don't have hair rats or even hair pins but I experimented with victory rolls today using my curlers to see if it's really as easy to do as people (on youtube) say it is and it really is that easy:) There are still things in my wardrobe that look 40s more than 50s so on busy days, I'll no longer have any excuse to go unstyled! I just need to pop down to the local supermarket and buy some hairpins and super strong hold hairspray!

Immediately after I pulled the curlers out, just finger adjusted but not brushed yet:

Excuse fusiness. Over caffeinated self-photographerlol

I don't know what I can do to make the surface look more polished. But I've just inherited a few old family photos and I can see that aside from one formal occasion, their hair 1940s-50s had stray strands going here and there and I think I detect a frizzier texture than I "suffer" from in some of those old blury photos. I haven't had time to scan them in yet.

Lillemor

One Too Many
texasgirl, those are great! I've never heard of Mad Men. I like the hair on the one in the middle wearing green in the top shot and red in the middle solo shot.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
texasgirl said:
I am currently getting a little obsessed with Mad Men. Here are some photos of their hair- more on the website :) I think one of the key 60s traits is height in the crown area

those 'dos are gorgeous. how does one achieve that much height without looking 80s?? huge rollers?

Lillemor

One Too Many
sixsexsix said:
those 'dos are gorgeous. how does one achieve that much height without looking 80s?? huge rollers?

A combination of huge rollers, teasing/back combing and/or rats and clever hiding under top hair?

The Shirt

Practically Family
This is my go to early 60s hair. I tease the heck out of the whole thing. Seriously - it's standing out in every direction. Then I carefully comb straight only the top most layer that will show. I put into a pony tail at the base of my neck. Half the tail goes up in a roll (smooth the end out) and the other half goes down in a roll. Then I secure a ribbon around the whole thin and poof out the top as much as I can stand.

DSC00620.jpg

I think I have that green dress (in pink) from that photo!

oooo I LOVE that blue dress in the top mad men pic!!

Anyway, beehive, my tip; backcomb backcomb backcomb. If you backcomb the hair from underneath, you get the height without making the top of the hair look all messy (does that make sense??!!) the smooth hair hides the big bit & makes it look all neat & pretty!

Please post pics of the finished do Smuterella! xxx

I'm so going to have to watch this madmed!

ShortClara

One Too Many
texasgirl said:

:eek:fftopic: I am so crazy about the gorgeous redhead - I love that she has an actual shape and doesn't look like she's about to die of malnutrition. And she is so friggin' sexy!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
texasgirl said:

I am MENTAL about Joan too, I love everything that she wears. I can't believe that I could ever wear anything as high waisted as she does though as she has an uber short waist. What a terrific shape......proper girl in my book!

alexandra

Practically Family
AllaboutEve said:
Wonderful hair alexandra, that has to be one of my favourite ever posts on this thread, you look amazing!!

Haha thank you. I haven't beehived it since like...last year but I'm still a fan of the hairstyle.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
We have mad men over here? Never 'erd of it [huh]

I think it's due to re-run later this year before they show series 2. It's the only drama series that I've watched for years, the costumes alone are worth a gander.

Keep an eye out for the trailers would be my advice, or you could try and borrow it on DVD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925