Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Not a new hairdo, but I've been letting my perm grow out and my hair grow longer ever since I joined FL in early March'09.

Here's how it looked when I joined, easy care for my busy lifestyle but AWFUL for vintage:
358982573.jpg
359851297.jpg
Here's the length now, I can pull the sides up or not- a much softer and prettier look for me:
372674064.jpg
374295872.jpg

Christy

One of the Regulars
A little delayed...

I took two pictures of my hair last week, but I haven't had a chance to post them yet. It's also the debut of my my darker hair! It's darker than I had wanted (I wanted a chocolate shade, it's more of a black), but I love it.

In this photo I attempted Lolita Haze's tutorial for her Bonita Granville look. Needless to say it didn't come out like hers, that happens whenever I follow tutorials, but I still liked it. I think it didn't come out because it's the first time I've used perming rods (they were a challenge lol ) and my hair was mostly dry when I set it. Also, I tried more of a '40's look regarding my eye makeup, by just using a little bit of brown eyeliner instead of my usual black winged liner. I think I also need to get a new eye brow pencil...
09-2.jpg

In this second photo, I just dry set my hair in sponge curlers and slept in them. My fella was gone so I had to resort to taking the picture myself in the bathroom mirror.
09-3.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
I think your hair turned out lovely in both pictures! I'm dying to try Lolita's tutorial too - waiting on my hairdryer - I am not sleeping in perm rods ;) Mine never quite turns out like the tutorials either, but I'm usually satisfied!

:eek:fftopic: I like your eyebrow shape very much, but at least in the picture I think you need a darker brow - they seem too light, but that could just be my monitor. I just picked up Illamasqua's brow cake in Vehement (soft black) and love it - it's very dark and I just used it without water or the sealing gel, but you can use it with either. They sell it at Sephora (mostly online, not all stores carry that line).

picture here of my eyebrows in case you want to see: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2476/3983999360_aa9d8115d5.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You look great, Christy! I will be trying out Lolita's tutorial soon too - I hope it looks as nice as yours does.

Since I usually do my sets in sponge rollers too, can you tell us how you set your hair in the second photo? I have a party to go to soon, and I'd love to do that style.

Christy

One of the Regulars
Inky, I agree on the eyebrows. When I do them they look dark to me but as soon as I get in my car or take a picture they look way too light. Thank you for the brow powder you suggested, I've been looking for something new and your brows look excellent! My eyebrows are my problem child, they never seem to be a shape I like, they can be different shapes, and they can be too light. Oh, I didn't sleep on the perm rods, that sounds painful!

C-dot, when I set my hair for that style I actually used the same pattern as Lolita in the tutorial. I just set my hair dry and then gently brushed it when I took the curlers out. My hair holds curl pretty well. I'm going to set my hair tonight so I can take a picture if you'd like.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Christy said:
Inky, I agree on the eyebrows. When I do them they look dark to me but as soon as I get in my car or take a picture they look way too light. Thank you for the brow powder you suggested, I've been looking for something new and your brows look excellent! My eyebrows are my problem child, they never seem to be a shape I like, they can be different shapes, and they can be too light. Oh, I didn't sleep on the perm rods, that sounds painful!

C-dot, when I set my hair for that style I actually used the same pattern as Lolita in the tutorial. I just set my hair dry and then gently brushed it when I took the curlers out. My hair holds curl pretty well. I'm going to set my hair tonight so I can take a picture if you'd like.

When you say "set my hair dry," do you mean just damp, or do you mean fully dry?

Christy

One of the Regulars
My hair was fully dry. I usually set it damp, but I was being lazy. I think one of the reasons it curled well was because I had a little bit of curl in my hair from the perm rods earlier that day and I had hairspray in my hair.

I set my hair dry last night and I didn't get nearly as good of results this morning, but I think that is because I didn't have any hairspray and the curlers weren't in as long. Also when I set my hair with the perm rods, my hair was mostly dry. I used a little amount of setting lotion solution, but by the time I got the perm rod in my hair was basically dry. I only had the perm rods in for a few hours.

Antje

One Too Many
Great styles everyone.
I did a style today with 2 of the hairstyles combined from Lauren's book.

I had the back ot the tiki lounge and the front inspired at the betty bangs look #2.

:eek:fftopic: but I have stil problems with my camera threading so no pics Sorry:(

karlie

New in Town
Inky said:
thanks all for the feedback - at first i looked pretty much like Gary Oldman's Dracula, but instead of opting for symmetry, I went with 4 random rolls. I like the height, but I admit it felt odd. Just takes some getting used to I guess.

lol That's exactly how I feel when I do rolls too. even if they aren't symetric! I'll have to try and get over that though!

sunsetblvd

New in Town
MissHannah said:
My first decent set in a long while - I've been wearing it up every day for ages as it's down to my shoulders now and I struggle to get good curls when it's this long. I think I probably should have brushed the back for a little longer as it still looks quite fluffy.

220909B.jpg
220909C.jpg
220909A.jpg

Miss Hannah, I was immediately struck by how much you resemble a mixture of Joan Crawford and Joan Allen - the two beautiful Joans!

zombi

A-List Customer
Well, I'm still learning to set my hair [huh] I don't know what happened this time but the majority of it... didn't turn out so great. I ended up putting most of it in a bun, ha.

but the front/sides looked fingerwave-y, though I did a pincurl set. So here it is:
3990844162_ce7fc473fd.jpg

it is just kind of stuffed up in the back.

(please ignore how sickly I look -- I've not been feeling too well the past few months!)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Not bad for a novice, zombi! I seldom can achieve a finger-waved look, especially using pin curls. It looks very 30's. :)

Christy, thanks for 'splaining. When I set my hair dry, it combs out smoother, too.

Antje

One Too Many
zombi said:
Well, I'm still learning to set my hair [huh] I don't know what happened this time but the majority of it... didn't turn out so great. I ended up putting most of it in a bun, ha.

but the front/sides looked fingerwave-y, though I did a pincurl set. So here it is:
3990844162_ce7fc473fd.jpg

it is just kind of stuffed up in the back.

(please ignore how sickly I look -- I've not been feeling too well the past few months!)

Well done, the wave looks nicely

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925