Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
~Psycho Sue~ said:
I saw this photo of this hair style, I CANT find it again.....and tried a recreation...what do you think?

I think it's an early 1900s style.
20sboabest-1.jpg

I used a waving iron to make the waves...I think it's cute! :p

Looks earlier 1920s! When they were transitioning from ringlets to bobs.

And everyone else -- FABULOUS!!!

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Thanks ladies for the kind words!

Psycho Sue, I'm sporting some Betty Grable bangs today. I think your pics must've sumbliminally influenced me!

HannahJane, my bangs used to look like I had messy poddle hair as well...which I guess is it's own look...but C-dot's tutorial on her blog was very helpful. After releasing the curls, rather than brushing them out, I just pick them apart and arrange them randomly with my fingers. It works perfectly with my very dry hair.

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
PsychoSue, that hairstyle is so cute on you! I tried something like that once, and it was not successful, but on you it looks fabulous. The way you pulled it back at the back compliments the Betty Grable bangs perfectly.

And Inky, I just have to say, you always just look fantastic. I think part of it is that your hair colour just looks like it's exactly right for you, both aesthetically and personality-wise. :eusa_clap The side wave looks gorgeous in that photo, by the way!

mentha

Familiar Face
Still not very talented when it comes to curling, but I tried hotcurlers today on my new, 6 inches shorter hair:

Photo%20on%202010-02-14%20at%2014.57%20%232.jpg

The left side is just how I planned, but the right side (except for the former bangs) decided to annoy me by curling outwards instead of in... And I rolled both sides the same way! Weird...

mentha

Familiar Face
Wow, thank you for my first celebrity comparison! I'm both flattered and honoured to be compared to such a beautiful lady! And a bit shy as well ;)

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Bought a set of hot rollers at goodwill (in addition to a Pendelton plaid skirt suit!) and tried to set my hair for the first time. Unfortunately, the hair supply store downstairs didn't open until after I gave it a try.

Iphone001-1.jpg

Phone pic, so, I'm sorry about the grainy quality.

I've got naturally wavy hair, so I can't say it's a huge difference, but I don't think I put the rollers in very well either. Practice makes perfect? (though I will guess a clue would help a bit.)[huh]

Vintage Vi

New in Town
I'm back!!!

Hello Ladies!!
I'm back on FL!! I was under the name of Violeta before, but I got a new email account which I submitted to this site (forgetting yahoo is not a valid email for FL :eusa_doh: ) but I'm happy to say I'm back! So now it's back to square one and post new pics....By the way, what wonderful hairstyles you lovley ladies have!!

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
Mentha DOES look like Joan!!! Wow!

Sugar KItten you look adorable too!

Hi Vintage Vi!!!

Here is a pic of my victory rolls last weekend...the rolls have been my nemesis, and I suck at them! But....for months I have been saving my hair and made a HAIR RAT! (with my dyed red hair a regular rat is not an option). So LOOK! They work like a charm! Sorry I am excited, hehe. Perfect profile finally! And when my hubs came into the BR and saw these 2 big freakin balls of red hair on the sink....he totally freaked out and gave me the most horrified look EVER! LOL, he was like what the hell is THAT!? I had to explain, and he still cant believe that women have done this for centuries!

19540_1278684340433_1629776159_7016.jpg

1266410452.jpg

BoPeep

Practically Family
LOL! lol Husbands do get grossed out by these things . . . had to convince mine that there were such things as hair receivers that women had on their dresser tops as part of their formal dresser set. Never tried rats myself, but can definitely see the need. Seems a better option then teasing.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Psycho Sue, you should have told him they were hairballs! I'm growing hair out so not too many cuts for me in the future. I did google how to make a rat though. Did you bind yours in a hairnet or something similar?

So, progress:
hairset2.jpg

Set #2 this time using Lottabody. I can't judge how much to brush out the curls, and there's nothing very vintage about the shape (the goal was just to curl it all, not just the front/sides), but it did really curl this time! Tips? Tricks? Suggestions?

Lenore, "Tonight I make a rat" sounds like it like it belongs in a gangster flick.

PS - I really need to put makeup on before I take hair pics. Too bad I only think of it when I post them.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
How do you ladies make your own rats? Obviously you use your own hair, but what do you stuff it into? A nylon? I've probably read it somewhere, I just can't remember the details... In the future I plan on making a form of a rat for a beehive. Any tips are welcome!

Inky

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
How do you ladies make your own rats? Obviously you use your own hair, but what do you stuff it into? A nylon? I've probably read it somewhere, I just can't remember the details... In the future I plan on making a form of a rat for a beehive. Any tips are welcome!

when I made my own bright red rat for faux bangs I ratted up colored hair extensions into roughly the cigar shape I wanted, then covered it in a invisble hair net like this type:

http://www.cachebeauty.com/Nets/jac-o-net_regular_lightbrown_elastic.htm

I took a bit of thread (red i my case) and stitched the hairnet into place as needed and also every now and then I spray my rat with some hair spray to keep it smooth. so far i've used it dozens and dozens of time and it's works like a charm.

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
Bo Peep
LOL! Husbands do get grossed out by these things . . . had to convince mine that there were such things as hair receivers that women had on their dresser tops as part of their formal dresser set. Never tried rats myself, but can definitely see the need. Seems a better option then teasing.

omg yes! I have mine in a pretty silver box with a red velvet lining! He has not even know I have been doing this cuz he never opens the boxes on my dresser, hehe. :p

Sugar Kitten
Psycho Sue, you should have told him they were hairballs!
Ha ha, he would believe this considering I suck at housekeeping too! HA! BTW, your hair looks lovely! The setting lotion worked nicely! and you have a nice 50s look going!

Cherry lips
How do you ladies make your own rats?

Inky has the perfect way to do it! I am not as disciplined as she is and I just have mine in a very tightly wound bundle and it stays together pretty well. I can reshape it anyways I like it. For example, a u shape for the front bangs or a tube shape for the side rolls. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112