Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

swinggal

One Too Many
I did my hair in waves for two events that I ran last week. I was going through my box of 30s and 40s hair wavers and clips and came across my 'Water Wavers' and finally find some info on how to use them - after 8 years of having them! I used Lottabody setting lotion on dry hair, but in the wavers and curled the back into sausage rolls which i later pinned up at the back when dry. I actually sed a hair dryer to dry the waves off so the whole thing only took we about an hour to do.

The wavers push the hair upwards and the next one hold the previous one in and I used some bobby pins to hold them in better.

Saturday night

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Sunday night

IMG_0008.jpg

Idledame

Practically Family
Marymary, I'm quite sure they added clip-in hair pieces to fill out a lot of the styles we see in the movies and can't copy. Plus "rats" for extra fullness and height. Heck, some do's we admire might be only 10-20% of an actress's real hair!

FaintlyMacabre

SayCici said:
faintly macabre, super cute hair and are you a teacher (looking at the maps on the wall)?

No, and yes. I'm not really a teacher but I am homeschooling my little ones. We haven't "officially" started yet. But, of course, we really have because they learn something new every day - that's for sure!

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
FaintlyMacabre said:
P4300083.jpg

P4300093.jpg

Kinda messy but not bad for next-day hair, I thought. I am so open to any suggestions for photo-ing one's own head.

You're hair looks lovely Faintly Macabre. Wish my hair looked that good the next day!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Just a quick update for those curious about the Mervin wave clips. The set did not survive to day 3 at all. I think in the future, I'll be using them for special occasions only. They give a really nice style that looks better than manual fingerwaves, but manual fingerwaves last much longer.

swinggal

One Too Many
Idledame said:
Marymary, I'm quite sure they added clip-in hair pieces to fill out a lot of the styles we see in the movies and can't copy. Plus "rats" for extra fullness and height. Heck, some do's we admire might be only 10-20% of an actress's real hair!

You are right Idledame. I have lots of rats made out of my own hair for when I do 40s styles. Makes a huge difference and lifts the hair much higher off the head. My grandmother told me hat she used to use them a lot in the 40s and showed me how to make them before she passed away. She was 97 when she died so was in her 20s in the 1930s and 30s in the 40s so she remembered many of the things she did.

Antje

One Too Many
crwritt said:
Thank you, Lillemore. You are very sweet. Antje, did you use those ryler wave rollers?

Nope, actually I used a regular curling iron, an old one not those nice ceramic things, and only with a on/of switch.
But it works, I bought it, when I went to beautyschool, but it still works

Mrs Beattie

New in Town
I am loving the 'do's'. I wondered what you ladies thought was an ideal hair length? My hair is a few inches past my shoulders, but I think its too long for a lot of styles because it is poker straight and very thick. I have struggled with tying to curl it for years. The weight just seems to pull the curles out.

By the way, I dont have any photos but a cheap and cheerful way to get curled hair is to use pipe cleaners. I couldnt purchase them in tobacco shops the last time, but I did get them in the childrens section in a craft shop. You can achieve mad mad curly frizz by using loads of them.

FaintlyMacabre

Where do I start....

@Antje - With a regular curling iron? Wow....so beautiful. I'm a curling iron dork so its really unbelievable to me.

@Swinggal - When you say "water wavers"...is that different than the wave clamps and mervin clamps we'd just been talking about?

swinggal

One Too Many
FaintlyMacabre said:
@Antje - With a regular curling iron? Wow....so beautiful. I'm a curling iron dork so its really unbelievable to me.

@Swinggal - When you say "water wavers"...is that different than the wave clamps and mervin clamps we'd just been talking about?

Yeah, they are like big combs that you use to push the hair into waves. I could never find anything online about them so never knew how to use them! They are about 15cm long and curved to match the head with very thin teeth
http://www.revampvintage.com/30swaterwaves.html

I did't use this elaborate proces to achieve mine but there is a pic of the comb the show you.

FaintlyMacabre

swinggal said:
Yeah, they are like big combs that you use to push the hair into waves. I could never find anything online about them so never knew how to use them! They are about 15cm long and curved to match the head with very thin teeth
http://www.revampvintage.com/30swaterwaves.html

I did't use this elaborate proces to achieve mine but there is a pic of the comb the show you.
OK, I totally didn't understand those instructions. And that pic with all the hair pins sticking out...really? wow. When I was surfing the net looking for mervin clamps I saw some "bendable metal hair combs" And they came in different sizes. I think they may have been Japanese? I wonder if they would do the same job. Tomorrow I'll try to find them again and post a link for you to look at.
I so want to try waves, so I am really into finding anything that would make it easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy