Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Just fine with Excedrin PM.
Oooooh. Because of my fibromyalgia, I can't afford to have poor sleep. So, I guess I'll stick with the Hot Sticks for now, especially since I'm getting my hairstyle down...hey, if it isn't broke, why fix it? Maybe someday I can wear curlers to bed and sleep like a baby!

Rafter

Suspended
Pink Dahlia said:
On the advice of Lolita Haze ( maybe you're heard of her ;) ) I slept in hard rollers last night.]

Pink, You slept in hard rollers last night, and you've never looked better.

FYI- Pink brings out the best in you.
Ya look like a candly cane sundae, good enough to eat!

21985000_l.jpg

Girl Friday

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
I wear about 24 hard rods in my hair when I sleep... am I the only one who finds it comfortable and not a pain at all? [huh]
Yowza! That sounds mighty painful. But I have curly hair so I am not qualified to answer your question... :p

I do have some sponge rollers that aren't too bad to sleep in, but holy Moses my hair is big when I do that!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
I wear about 24 hard rods in my hair when I sleep... am I the only one who finds it comfortable and not a pain at all? [huh]

Nah, I have a pretty hard head and don't find them uncomfy at all. Unfortunately I have no idea what I have done with my curlers and it is driving me nuts!

roots66

One of the Regulars
Heating up your Hot Sticks

So I just got a set at Sally's and yippee do they work well! One question though--the little red indicator, which is supposed to turn black when the sticks are at optimal heat, doesn't seem to do so. I mean, I had the darn thing on for about 10-15 minutes, and while the sticks felt pretty darn hot to me and gave a heckuva good curl, the indicator didn't really change. How long do you gals normally wait to heat 'em up?

Also--is it kosher to use end papers with hot rollers?

BonnieJean

Practically Family
roots,
I don't pay much attention to that indicator button. I usually plug mine in while I put my make-up on--usually its about 10 minutes or so. Once I plugged them in earlier and the indicator button was definitely black, but the sticks were extremely hot! My hair curls easy enough, so I don't need the sticks to be that hot. Just go ahead and set your hair as you've done and ignore the indicator light. I have used end papers with the hot sticks and other curlers and they do help to keep smooth ends on the curls. But most days I don't mess with them.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I just got a set of Hot Sticks and over here, we have double the voltage (or wattage, or whatever it is) and they still take 10 minutes for the dot to go black. When I used them in America I swear the dot was still orange after about 20!

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
I just got a set of Hot Sticks and over here, we have double the voltage (or wattage, or whatever it is) and they still take 10 minutes for the dot to go black. When I used them in America I swear the dot was still orange after about 20!

do they actually sell hot sticks over here fleur?
or anything remotely like them?

SarahLouise

Practically Family
sophia la shok said:

They have similar ones which you can buy in Argos/Boots etc such as these or these but I don't know if they work as well as the Hot Sticks available in the US. My hair doesn't curl well at all using heated methods so I'm not going to try them but let us know how you get on!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
sophia la shok said:

They certainly do! Mine are Babyliss, exactly the same as my american set, except different colours. There were a few sets on eBay when I bought mine, a couple of "travel sets" and a regular one, which I won. They cost over £40 new!! I got mine for £5.51 and they'd been used once!

Here's a link to a new set - http://www.ukhairdressers.com/store/details.asp?ID=BAB3019Uhotsticks

Annoyingly, there don't seem to be any Babyliss ones on Ebay right now, but there are two sets of Toni And Guy Hot Sticks which appear to be identical only they have 4 fewer sticks and higher starting prices.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
They certainly do! Mine are Babyliss, exactly the same as my american set, except different colours. There were a few sets on eBay when I bought mine, a couple of "travel sets" and a regular one, which I won. They cost over £40 new!! I got mine for £5.51 and they'd been used once!

Here's a link to a new set - http://www.ukhairdressers.com/store/details.asp?ID=BAB3019Uhotsticks

Annoyingly, there don't seem to be any Babyliss ones on Ebay right now, but there are two sets of Toni And Guy Hot Sticks which appear to be identical only they have 4 fewer sticks and higher starting prices.

Do you get long lasting results with these Fleur? Sometimes you just don't have time to set your hair overnight and these would be great if they worked well. Hot rollers do not work in my hair (the curls drop out after 20 minutes) so I have the feeling that these would do the same. Does your hair react well to heat? Any info would be great, thanks!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
SarahB said:
Do you get long lasting results with these Fleur? Sometimes you just don't have time to set your hair overnight and these would be great if they worked well. Hot rollers do not work in my hair (the curls drop out after 20 minutes) so I have the feeling that these would do the same. Does your hair react well to heat? Any info would be great, thanks!

I'd say they don't last nearly as well as an overnight set, but if you don't go in the wind they do a very fair job! My hair doesn't react *that* well to heat, but usually the curls stay in longer than 20 minutes. Using them in freshly washed hair for me is the least effective. But still better than having uncurled hair! I used them for the first time on Saturday at about 11 and my hair was still looking nice at 6, but no walking involved. However yesterday after I walked to work from the tube (10 minutes in windy Canary Wharf!) the front had gone all limp. I think they work best after a set the first day, then using them to spruce up the second day. But ultimately wind is my enemy, even if I've done a wet set.

Perhaps worth investing if you see a bargain?

texasgirl

One Too Many
Pink Dahlia said:
On the advice of a one Lolita Haze ( maybe you're heard of her ;) ) I slept in hard rollers last night.

21985000_l.jpg

Pink, I finally figured out who you remind me of, Ginnifer Goodwin! So cute!

ScreenHunter_01Jun-1.jpg

Here she is in vintage, in Mona Lisa Smile
ScreenHunter_03Jun.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
40's Glamour hair

Last week I had a performance. I was a bit worried about what I should do with my hair since I had to shower that day. I can't blow dry my hair and it is really thick and long and takes 2 days to dry. Amy Jeanne posted some great photos of lesser stars of the 30's and 40's and I found a gal who's hair was my inspiration.

The inspiration and what I came up with.
003hair000.jpg
003hair001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass