Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

visforvictoryrolls

New in Town
ce90e26c455911e381d622000a1f975c_8.jpg

This was from November. I haven't had a good hair day is such a long time and it's bringing me down. But then again, I think it has to do less with my hair and more of the weather and winter time and just feeling so cooped up in beauty school all day. Sigh.

Edit to add: I know I'm in the unpopular opinion group here, but when I got a middy cut I HATED it so much! I'm glad I finally gave it up and cut it all one length, my hair behaves so much more now. It pains me to think that so many people think it's a miracle cut, that as soon as you get it all your hair woes will disappear. Not to say that this does't happen to people, but there are other ways to cut your hair or style your hair to help get more of an authentic look.

Last edited:

itsalovelyday

New in Town
Thank you for your kind words, ladies! I'd be all too happy to share my setting pattern. Would it be alright to post in this thread? If so I'll follow up on Friday with pictures or diagrams. :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
VisforVictoryRolls... When I started really getting into vintage styling, I had my hair all one length and it was great even though I was still practicing and learning. I finally took the plunge and had it cut into a middy (by a stylist). I too hated it and couldn't work with it and it was impossible so I let it grow back to one length. I kept it one length for years after that. I then cut my hair so that my bangs were shorter than the rest of my hair, but not by much. It wasn't a middy, just a different length. This helped my styling immensely. Generally I would do this. Recently, however, I tried to cut my hair in many layers (still not a middy) and now my hair is crap. *Let this be a lesson to everyone -- no emotional hair cutting* Once this disaster grows out a bit, I think I will try the repost of C-Dots self cutting middy and see if I can't get my hair back to it's old self but alter it to my lengths and not the standard suggested length cuts. So I understand your dislike of the middy, but I still like to use it as a rough guideline for a good shape.

wahine

Practically Family
Here's my setting pattern! Let's just say I'm not an art student, but I did try to be clear. :)

jj4G3We.jpg

That's great, thank you so very much for your effort! :)
Apart from the direction, I do it pretty much the same (I set them in alternating directions, one row to the left, one to the right), but my results aren't half as nice.I did try it with all in the same direction, too, but that wasn't any better (on the contrary). So it must be some other reason why yours looks so much better. Do you set flat pin curls or standing? I set them flat. Or maybe it's the hair cut...

itsalovelyday

New in Town
I've been setting regularly for about 3 years, so maybe it's just learning your hair type? I read somewhere else on this forum, and it was the turning-point in my pincurling, to keep some tension while you're rolling. I set everything but the top 6 curls flat with bobby pins and Motions foaming wrap lotion (a great product), then sit under the dryer for at least half an hour before bed (I've been having a lot more consistent results since starting this even though I can't explain why).

wahine

Practically Family
tvwell, I don't usually set my hair more than twice a week, but for about three years now. I don't have the time/nerve to use a dryer, plus I'm afraid that ruins my (very fine) hair. I'll try the tension thing,thanks for this hint. At the moment, I'm not using any setting lotion, because all the products I tried gave no good results and were messy too use. I'm not sure if Motions products are being sold over here in Germany.
Guess I'm probably making mistakes in my brushing out, there I'll definitely need more practise (and patience!) ;-)

Last edited:

vintageTink

One Too Many
Thank you for the set pattern!

My hair, as I've said before, is fine and a major pain. I had a vintage bonnet dryer that the bonnet itself pooped out on me (used it with regular rollers) and pin curls frizz my hair badly.
I'd like to find another bonnet dryer or a replacement bonnet.

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
tvwell, I don't usually set my hair more than twice a week, but for about three years now. I don't have the time/nerve to use a dryer, plus I'm afraid that ruins my (very fine) hair. I'll try the tension thing,thanks for this hint. At the moment, I'm not using any setting lotion, because all the products I tried gave no good results and were messy too use. I'm not sure if Motions products are being sold over here in Germany.
Guess I'm probably making mistakes in my brushing out, there I'll definitely need more practise (and patience!) ;-)

Dunno about Motions, but did you try Lottabody? It's available here: http://www.afro-cosmetic-shop.de/Firmen-A-Z/Lottabody
I love that stuff. I have fine hair as well. I use very little, undiluted, working it with my hands through all of my towel dried hair, comb through and set.

Lenore

Practically Family
And TODAY, I like my streak... Ignore my not yet done eyebrows and my messy bathroom... Also... these pictures showed up much bigger than anticipated even though I adjusted the sizes on photo bucket...

97925BAD-A677-49CF-A0BF-9AA21D104B50_zps4ejyx6el.jpg

26136780-9575-489E-BC7E-3652DAF6AD3B_zpskhxmpyya.jpg

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
Lenore-your hair looks superb! Love the streak!

I followed itsalovelyday's tutorial night before last. It turned out fairly nice yesterday (not as lovely as itsalovelydays though!). No pictures as I didn't even think about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana