Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
CrazyDaisy... What do you use to set your hair? Your hair looks extremely thick like mine and I SWEAR by plastic perming rods. I cold set them and sleep with them in my hair overnight. I have a tough head and I am a heavy sleeper so I have no problem with the rollers in my hair when sleeping. It appears as though you want longer softer waves versus curly curls so I would use the bigger rods. Preferably the green ones. They may come out tighter than you would like, but keep brushing out your hair and you should achieve the effect you want.

I apologize if you already know all this. I haven't read back to see what you posted prior you posting these last photos of your hair.

deco_darling

One of the Regulars
DSCN0867.jpg

Here's another recent picture done in pin curls.

Smuterella said:
I am so jealous of your frankly perfect hair. what is your secret? Have you ever done any tutorials?

I don't know if I have a secret I just practice and with the help of my boyfriend who assists me on the back of my hair. I do most of the styling myself on what I think looks best on me. I haven't done any tutorials. I do read some books on vintage hair styles and get a few ideas of my own to create what I think looks good.

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Yes, and what's the length uncurled?

I'm about to go chop my hair off, it's gotten long and un-pretty.

My hair is above shoulder length and layered. I have thick hair with lots of volume so I get most of it thinned out. I would say a good layering is the secret, not to thinned out but enough to make pin curling easy and still have volume.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
CrazyDaisy... What do you use to set your hair? Your hair looks extremely thick like mine and I SWEAR by plastic perming rods. I cold set them and sleep with them in my hair overnight. I have a tough head and I am a heavy sleeper so I have no problem with the rollers in my hair when sleeping. It appears as though you want longer softer waves versus curly curls so I would use the bigger rods. Preferably the green ones. They may come out tighter than you would like, but keep brushing out your hair and you should achieve the effect you want.

I apologize if you already know all this. I haven't read back to see what you posted prior you posting these last photos of your hair.

Err, I do use the plastic perming rods and sleep in them sleepless nights lol , but maybe we are not talking about the same variety, and while they were the biggest in their category, I could definitely do with bigger ones. Mine have a plastic body and a rubber thingy that comes across from one end to the other and keeps it put. :eek: Sorry, when it comes to explaining things like this my English comes short.:(
Recently I've been told the best perm rods are the ones with holes and a whole separate section that covers the base once the hair is rolled. I am still to try those. I don't know if they come in plastic or metal.
And the type of curl I want is not soft (I would call soft the result I got in those pictures, or maybe it's just messy?! lol ), but big and perfectly formed, nice and glossy with all the hairs in place. I probably want the impossible, such as a hot iron curl obtained without the heat. Ha! So far I stood away from hot irons, as I don't know how to use them and the practice I would have to undertake would surely damage my hair.:(

Deco_darling, I have to say you look very sophisticated!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Interesting, the perming rods you described are exactly the ones I swear by! I like to use the smaller ones myself, but I wonder why your hair doesn't want to take as nicely as you would like it to. Don't get me wrong, I think your hair looks gorgeous, but I think you are looking for something a bit more refined. Well, darn. Now I don't know what to suggest. [huh]

crazydaisy said:
Err, I do use the plastic perming rods and sleep in them sleepless nights lol , but maybe we are not talking about the same variety, and while they were the biggest in their category, I could definitely do with bigger ones. Mine have a plastic body and a rubber thingy that comes across from one end to the other and keeps it put. :eek: Sorry, when it comes to explaining things like this my English comes short.:(
Recently I've been told the best perm rods are the ones with holes and a whole separate section that covers the base once the hair is rolled. I am still to try those. I don't know if they come in plastic or metal.
And the type of curl I want is not soft (I would call soft the result I got in those pictures, or maybe it's just messy?! lol ), but big and perfectly formed, nice and glossy with all the hairs in place. I probably want the impossible, such as a hot iron curl obtained without the heat. Ha! So far I stood away from hot irons, as I don't know how to use them and the practice I would have to undertake would surely damage my hair.:(

Deco_darling, I have to say you look very sophisticated!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic!

I have my hair all one length, but now you have me wanting to add layers! :D Unfortunately due to my hair's texture, it wouldn't lay as nice and as smooth as yours does. That is the downfall of platinum hair... it tends to be terribly dry and cotton candy like. It doesn't help that I have natural kink along the hairline that is stubborn and does not want to straighten itself, even with assistance. :mad:

deco_darling said:
DSCN0867.jpg

Here's another recent picture done in pin curls.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Kadri, you did well, though! Maybe slick the left side totally back?

Marlene_Dietrich+2.jpg

MarleneDietrich.jpg

deco_darling, your hair looks lovely and smooth. No frizz what so ever! How do you do it? Love the revamp blouse, too!

Smuterella

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
deco_darling, your hair looks lovely and smooth. No frizz what so ever! How do you do it? Love the revamp blouse, too!

yes, thats what I want to know, I get such frizz myself!

deco_darling

One of the Regulars
Laura Chase said:
MarleneDietrich.jpg

I love Marlene Dietrich. I take great inspiration from her. My hair is frizzy at times. Pomade and a little hair spray and good conditioner seems to do the trick.

And... THANK YOU everyone for the compliments!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well here's my new cut (please excuse scrunched concentration face!)

24pi807.jpg

I absolutely LOVE it, but I'm not sure how well it works with vintage, even though I know pixie cuts were worn in the 50s and 60s. What do you girls think?

We have a 1940s event coming up in April and I'm so not sure what I'm going to do for that (hairpiece? LOL)

crazydaisy

Practically Family
You ought to love because it suits you beautifully!

Can see it working with an Audrey Hepburn style, don't know about an earlier era though. But it's lovely!

Inky

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
Well here's my new cut (please excuse scrunched concentration face!)

24pi807.jpg

I absolutely LOVE it, but I'm not sure how well it works with vintage, even though I know pixie cuts were worn in the 50s and 60s. What do you girls think?

We have a 1940s event coming up in April and I'm so not sure what I'm going to do for that (hairpiece? LOL)

I think it looks great on you!

As for a 40's do - could you use a hair piece and a snood? Then make some small rolls or curls in the front?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, ladies! For daily wear I either wear modern clothing, or I do a 50s housewife type look, like what I'm wearing in the photo I posted. I think the hair works fine for that... but I also have a lot of 1940s clothing and I know the hair then was definitely not short and sleek! The front is definitely not long enough to do rolls. I *might* be able to curl it, but I'm honestly not sure it is even long enough for that! Quite literally my bangs are maybe 1" long. For the event in April I'll be in a WWII uniform so a snood or a turban (although I LOVE that idea and may use it for civvy dresses) won't work, but I am thinking of getting a hairpiece and perhaps rolling it to keep it off the shoulders. Do you think that would work, or will it be obvious I'm wearing fake hair?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran