Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Cricket

Practically Family
I adore those pixie cuts! I have curly/wavy hair, and I just don't think it would look right on me. Plus, I don't think I have the guts to chop it all off :)
But it is looking wonderful on you!

balgal

New in Town
Originally posted by crazydaisy:
Recently I've been told the best perm rods are the ones with holes and a whole separate section that covers the base once the hair is rolled. I am still to try those. I don't know if they come in plastic or metal.

The perm rods you are talking about are plastic. As wirth foam curlers perm rods come in different sizes. And they work great for well defined curls. Depending on what kind of wrap you do.

Also ladies,
I graduate from cosmetology school on April 15!! I am so glad my hard work has paid off!!

Inky

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
Thanks, ladies! For daily wear I either wear modern clothing, or I do a 50s housewife type look, like what I'm wearing in the photo I posted. I think the hair works fine for that... but I also have a lot of 1940s clothing and I know the hair then was definitely not short and sleek! The front is definitely not long enough to do rolls. I *might* be able to curl it, but I'm honestly not sure it is even long enough for that! Quite literally my bangs are maybe 1" long. For the event in April I'll be in a WWII uniform so a snood or a turban (although I LOVE that idea and may use it for civvy dresses) won't work, but I am thinking of getting a hairpiece and perhaps rolling it to keep it off the shoulders. Do you think that would work, or will it be obvious I'm wearing fake hair?

Does your uniform have a cap/hat? I think if you got a good hairpiece it could work. You might also check out this blog, she posts great hair magazine scans and has some for short hair as well

http://beautyisathingofthepast.blogspot.com/search/label/1940's

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Wow, thanks ladies! I am seriously loving it - I've worn short hair for years but this is the shortest I've been in a while. Part of it was due to damage I'd created by coloring and daily heat styling (wore the chin-length bob for a while and flat ironed my naturally wavy hair into oblivion - daily).

Cricket - My hair is extremely thick and coarse, and it is also quite wavy. I also have a few random cowlicks. I am surprised at how well the pixie works for me - I just wash it, throw in a dab of product and comb it how I want, and let it dry while I apply my makeup and get dressed. I usually take just a second to "fluff" it a bit with my fingers before I walk out the door. It lays really nicely, probably because I "mold" it into place while it is wet and it just dries that way. I am surprised, it is much easier to deal with at this length, I was expecting to have random spikes and things going on.

Inky - Yes, it has a visor cap (the least flattering of all, IMHO). The top of a hairpiece would be covered under the cap... so I'm actually thinking that if I loosely rolled the back up, it MIGHT work. I used to have a hairpiece when I danced competitively but sadly I parted with it a couple of years ago. I will definitely check out that link you posted.

Cricket

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
Wow, thanks ladies! I am seriously loving it - I've worn short hair for years but this is the shortest I've been in a while. Part of it was due to damage I'd created by coloring and daily heat styling (wore the chin-length bob for a while and flat ironed my naturally wavy hair into oblivion - daily).

It sounds so easy to do too. I honestly have to spend about 30 minutes to get my hair to do right. And that is rushing through. If I would quit being so lazy and set my hair the night before, I would have something to be proud of ;)

Your hair sounds so simple to fix yet it looks so great.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Cricket, I know exactly what you are talking about. When my hair was chin-length, it took me 30-45 minutes to style it. I would blowdry it straight, then flat iron the entire thing. I finally realized that I was spending so much time *fighting* my hair that it was time to give up and find a new style that works with what I have naturally. Nevermind all the damage I was causing by that! I actually took a couple of photos of Audrey Tatou with me to the stylist, because I love her cut and was expecting my hair to be much curlier. I was surprised when it laid so nicely! I think a pixie can look very cute even if your hair isn't bone straight.

http://www.elleuk.com/var/elleuk/st...-Chanel-No.5-film-revealed_imagesNewsHome.jpg

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
Well here's my new cut (please excuse scrunched concentration face!)

24pi807.jpg

I absolutely LOVE it, but I'm not sure how well it works with vintage, even though I know pixie cuts were worn in the 50s and 60s. What do you girls think?

We have a 1940s event coming up in April and I'm so not sure what I'm going to do for that (hairpiece? LOL)

LOVE IT! (Yes,I know I'm yelling!:eek: )

Lillemor

One Too Many
rubyredlocks said:
LOVE IT! (Yes,I know I'm yelling!:eek: )

fortworthgal, I think your whole outfit and hairstyle looks gorgeous!

I don't know how close extras in 1940s-50s films were supposed to resemble how normal people looked, but I've seen at least one film I don't remember the title of from the 1940s where I noticed a woman with a short, straight hairstyle and there was something so 1960s over her whole style that I couldn't stop starring. It looked good but I just didn't think that hairstyle appeared that early unless she was wearing the same style as she'd worn since the late 1920s? She appeared to be in her 30s.

I watched a movie from the 1950s yesterday and another 50s movie a few days ago. In both films there were extras with straight hair. Never hanging down but either short or really tidy, tight updos and they weren't especially young or very old either. I did however notice that the ones with straighter hairstyles often had frillier and brighter colored clothes or were extremely elegant and polished in the rest of their appearance so maybe the straighter hairstyles were preferred to balance the whole look?

Esme

One of the Regulars
Well, I dress 40's/50's a lot and I just got my hair cut in a stacked bob, which also wasn't in style at that point.
For my two cents worth, I am not a re-creationist, I just like a vintage touch, so I don't care if my hair is modern or my makeup. One or two touches of "today" at least, make you look interesting instead of like you just came time traveling, which is a look I can't pull off with my walking aides anyway. (I am not making do with antiquated canes and walkers for fashion's sake! LOL)
If that IS the look you are going for, you could try a more pronounced part and maybe sweep it back. I HAVE seen short do's from that time period. Do some google searches - images - 1940s short hair, etc and see what you can approximate.
I think it is really cute, FWIW.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
MadelienneBlack said:
Here's a question: (I hope this makes sense...)

How do you girls get your victory rolls to stay so circular without hair rats? Everytime I try, no matter how perfect the roll looks on my finger, when I go to secure it I end up with flattend ovals smooshed again my head. Maybe I'm pinning it wrong? Is there a trick to keeping your roll perfect and circular, or is a hidden rat my only option?
Hi MadelienneBlack,
It looks like you have fine straight hair like me. I usually start with a 1 inch curling iron and spray the section with hairspray before curling. That gives structure to the roll. I often just pin it like that (which does leave the hollow center, a faux pais I know) but what has worked best for me is hot sticks. I use the same technique and curl the roll with the hot stick, but it ends up fluffy and full of body and is a cinch to roll. Good luck :)

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
My isn't really a 'do but it's to show my new blonde color. I went from red to blonde last weekend.

Here it is now:
1243236.JPG

This was taken in the car, so excuse the quality

Here is what it was:

n1677603203_3000.jpg

I'm excited to be blonde again! Now I have to find the perfect red lippie!

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
I chopped off some more hair about a month or so ago. It resembles the Katie Holmes bob when the bangs aren't pinned back. Since it's so short, I'm wondering how much curl I can get into it without looking like I got electrocuted.

(yuck no makeup)
img0349d.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
This was my hair today... Unfortunately I stayed in all day today so my hair didn't get to see the outside world! :( lol

Dirty mirror and I look like poop... Stress will do that to you. LOL
P1160972b.jpg

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the comment on my last do's...I'm terrible at remembering to look back at threads!

Here was my hair from last weekend. I didn't have much time, so I had to use a curling iron (I usually do barrel curls when my hair is wet and then let them air dry, but that takes a very long time.)

Saturday:
3-30015.jpg

Church dinner dance. This was after, so my hair is very frizzy (I was running around all night because I was helping my parents with silent auction and other set up stuff).

Sunday (on the left):
3-30021.jpg

Sorry this pic is from so far away...but basically I just tamed the curls from Saturday and pinned one side back. This was at my little sister's confirmation party...I was her sponsor....though you probably can't tell who is older...she just had to get almost as tall as I am. lol

Smuterella

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
This was my hair today... Unfortunately I stayed in all day today so my hair didn't get to see the outside world! :( lol

you do not look like a poop! Gorgeous hair, gorgeous girl.

Lillemor

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:

QUOTE]

You look just fine. I've been trying to achieve something similar but it's not happening. I just need to curls to start below my cheekbones.

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Lau Mo said:
Thanks for all the comment on my last do's...I'm terrible at remembering to look back at threads!

Here was my hair from last weekend. I didn't have much time, so I had to use a curling iron (I usually do barrel curls when my hair is wet and then let them air dry, but that takes a very long time.)

Saturday:
3-30015.jpg

Church dinner dance. This was after, so my hair is very frizzy (I was running around all night because I was helping my parents with silent auction and other set up stuff).

Sunday (on the left):
3-30021.jpg

Sorry this pic is from so far away...but basically I just tamed the curls from Saturday and pinned one side back. This was at my little sister's confirmation party...I was her sponsor....though you probably can't tell who is older...she just had to get almost as tall as I am. lol

Love it!
BTW, I bought that skirt at Target! Too cute! But had to return it because I wasn't comfy showing knee. Stupid me. : {

xoxo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot