Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Hair Set and Results

Lady Naiad

New in Town
This was one of my first tries with hot rollers. I was mostly just playing around to see what would happen. I was rather pleasantly surprised (despite my complete lack of rolling knowledge).

In this one you can sort of see both the front and the back. (I really made quite a horrid mess of my hair.)
P1110754.JPG

This was after I took it down and brushed it.
P1110779.JPG

And this was the final result.
P1110807.JPG

I plan to try some of the other things that I'm finding on this site, but for now this has been my first and only attempt at vintage inspired hair.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Lady Naiad, I think I want to borrow my mother's hot rollers next time I'm at hers. There's hope even for me. That doesn't look too complicated and you're using larger and fewer rollers than I do with velcro or foam rollers.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I remembered to take some of my hair the way I did it for Thanksgiving :)
Kind of messy in the set pics cause that was after sleeping on it and sitting under the dryer for a long while.

hairset1.jpg

hairset2.jpg

hairset3.jpg

hairset4.jpg

make some popcorn - lots of pictures...

Well, I am experimenting with my set, and here are some pictures. this is the set from last night with small hollywod metal rollwers in front and nape of neck with the front sections rolled back and the rest rolled under on brush/spring rollers with brushes removed:

100_1471.jpg

100_1474.jpg

Ready for bed :)

100_1479.jpg

Next Morning - Rollers removed:

100_1480.jpg

100_1484.jpg

Post-brushing:

100_1487.jpg

100_1488.jpg

The back didn't come out like I had hoped. My hair is pretty stubborn about taking a curl, and I had to put part of it in hot sticks after the brush-out because the larger rollers just didn't do the trick. I wanted to try it though because when I set my hair completely in small rollers here is what I ended up with:

1124091413.jpg

1124091414.jpg

Now the above two photos are like, day 2 or three of that set - curls held alright!! I got a cross between Myrna Loy and Wire-haired Terrier! I just about couldn't brush through it!

I'm hoping I can find a happy medium next time - I plan to try small curlers but more hair on each one...

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I put sponge rollers in my hair the other night and slept on them. In the morning they looked like little frizz-lets and no amount of brushing was taming them! So I washed it out :( I'm super jealous of your gals who have mastered the roller! Guess I'll stick to pincurls for now....

Lillemor

One Too Many
Lauren that's fabulous. Hamilton_Honey, I'm glad to see others using that set. I'll try that set again but with fewer rollers just like your set.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
I love that set Hamilton_honey - well done!
I have made a discovery.. using a dishcloth as a rag roller made tight curls.
Does anyone else use rag rollers??

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Oh my goodness! you ALL look gorgeous! and I LOVE your styles! wish we could get together for an ole fashion PJ party and do hair :)

Although I physically cannot put rollers in my hair, or do much else with it.
would like some ideas on curlers / rollers to purchase? modern or vinti's.
I despise curling irons lol and could mabe have my dd set my hair for me.

I recall my mother who is almost 80 yrs old useing these yellow hard plastic rollers that had some some grip on them and a snap on cover. they hurt like heck to sleep in them. Her sis used pink sponge rollers.
also, my mom used to get something called a cold wave periodically from the salon... to me that sounds like some sort of perm? all I remember is it took long and stunk real badlol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
shopgirl61 said:
I recall my mother who is almost 80 yrs old useing these yellow hard plastic rollers that had some some grip on them and a snap on cover. they hurt like heck to sleep in them. Her sis used pink sponge rollers.
also, my mom used to get something called a cold wave periodically from the salon... to me that sounds like some sort of perm? all I remember is it took long and stunk real badlol

Your mother used perm rods - Lolita Haze has done some great tutorials with them. Cold waves are exactly the same as perms - Arnold F. Willatt invented the process in 1938. He used ammonium thioglycolate, the same reducing solution used today.

Hamilton Honey, thats a great set! Thanks for the pictures - You look lovely :)

Thanks, all you sweet gals :)

Claireg: I tried rag rollers in the past and personally I had a hard time rolling them consistently and often ended up with tangles taking them out, so I am more comfortable with rollers.

Lillemor: don't give up - I think we each have to go through a "process of elimination" to find what works for our particular head of hair.

I am really enjoying this thread too and I've been learning more than I knew as well as just plain encouraged by you all, which is especially nice when I live in the middle of Almost Nowhere :) Maybe we can't do the PJ party, but this is the next best thing!

Thank you all for being so lovely and fun!

Hestia

Familiar Face
Claireg said:
I love that set Hamilton_honey - well done!
I have made a discovery.. using a dishcloth as a rag roller made tight curls.
Does anyone else use rag rollers??

I did a rag-curl set a while back and posted it on the hair-do thread, let's see... here it is. (scroll down just a tad)
I had good luck with it; it's a good way to deal with longer hair, and it was very comfortable to sleep on.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Thanks heaps Hestia
That looks like an awesome set - just what i have been looking for!
I am finding that a combo of rags and sponge curlers works best at night for me - for comfort anyway.
I found that article really useful - specially about the tightness of the curl being dependant upon the amount of hair put in a roller.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
Your mother used perm rods - Lolita Haze has done some great tutorials with them. Cold waves are exactly the same as perms - Arnold F. Willatt invented the process in 1938. He used ammonium thioglycolate, the same reducing solution used today.

Hamilton Honey, thats a great set! Thanks for the pictures - You look lovely :)

no, my mom never used perm rods unless she was getting her cold wave at the salon.
these are very close to what she used at home:
378809285.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
Do you mean the hard plastic "magnetic" rollers?! I had those. They were easy to use and had someone told me how to correctly use setting lotion, I might've not have to rely on self-delussion to think my results looked great.:eek:

http://www.cachebeauty.com/Diane/rods-rollers/D4717.jpg

It never occured to me to try to sleep in them. I rarely had them in more than a couple of hours. So I'd be out the door with wet, limp "mermaid/princess";) waves.lol

*Picture retro/Bollywood/mermaid/princess that could rival any Christmas tree!*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24