Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

A very worn out pair of brown Doc Martens boots. Newer laces, of course.

20140108_194445_resized.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Just took delivery of these Alden Shell #8 x Pebble Grain Saddles from Leffot. Here are two piccies:

d5fb7fa0_shell_01.jpeg

3a3025c0_shell_02.jpeg

They reminded me a bit of these vintage Alden's:
http://www.classicshoesformen.com/s...saddle-oxford-special-order-circa-197043-435c

Leffot has some really nice shoes for sale. These saddle shoes are very attractive, nice shape and the color and material combination fantastic! Now that you have these fine shoes, condition, condition, and shoe trees! Shell leather has an overall tendency to get those rolling deep creases in the leather, once there they are next to near impossible to "pull" them back out even with some "tight as all get out" shoe trees inserted.

If those shoes were here, I would probably use a full bottle of Cadillac on them over a few days time period, soaking both insides and outside of the entire shoe. Then give them a few days rest for the Cadillac to dry then stuff some crunched newspaper inside to help with any excess conditioner, let it sit that way overnight and wipe the inside with a cloth, and do the same to the outside then do some gentle buffing. You would not really need to worry about any polish but a coat of it would not hurt. My Husband has had a bunch of shell leather shoes, he learned the hard way, it takes a lot of conditioner for the shell leather and if you do not soak the inside of the shoe, it will take a long long time for the leather to soak up any conditioner. Shell is a "tuff" almost sealed leather surface, due to the tight pores it has.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Most excellent. Great support. I use them for everything. The UK made ones are more expensive, but they are the best. The Chinese made Docs are worthless.

I can take your word on that, not all products from China are worthless, but the majority of the shoes products from China only make really nice targets for shot gun practice or...for tossing at unwelcome guests!

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I would guess 1950's and maybe perhaps early 1960? The logo in the shoe. Mid to late 1960's they started to attach a label made of material and like a banner sewn or glued that said Florsheim where you have just the company logo stamped in gold ink. Some of the more educated than me may have something further to add.

Your shoes should be fairly comfortable if they are a correct size fit. Nice roomy shape on the toe box.
Take care,

Cindy

Thanks for the info! :D

mattface

Practically Family
I'm really enjoying contemplating my own feet at the moment as my Wolverine 1000 Mile seconds came today. I've been coveting these for some time, and I have to say they were worth the wait. Most beautiful boots I have ever owned, and comfortable too!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I would guess 1950's and maybe perhaps early 1960? The logo in the shoe. Mid to late 1960's they started to attach a label made of material and like a banner sewn or glued that said Florsheim where you have just the company logo stamped in gold ink. Some of the more educated than me may have something further to add.

Your shoes should be fairly comfortable if they are a correct size fit. Nice roomy shape on the toe box.
Take care,

Cindy

70's or later. Absolutely not 50's.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
This stylish guy looks like a double of Eddy Murphy but what interests me is his shoes which look more 1980s/90s than 40s.

Photo%20Aug%2005%2C%2010%2008%2051%20PM.jpg

April 1943. Baltimore, Maryland. "Workers hurrying to catch a conveyance for their jobs at 7 a.m." Style notes include the brooch and hat. Medium format nitrate negative by Marjory Collins for the Office of War Information.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
This stylish guy looks like a double of Eddy Murphy but what interests me is his shoes which look more 1980s/90s than 40s.

Those shoes this man is wearing look like a pair of Alden or Allen Edmond what is called I think the style of a split toe shoe. He does have that Eddy Murphy look in his face. Time travel? lol!

Also note the electric powered bus, and to the far left of this picture a convertible car.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Those shoes this man is wearing look like a pair of Alden or Allen Edmond what is called I think the style of a split toe shoe. He does have that Eddy Murphy look in his face. Time travel? lol!

Also note the electric powered bus, and to the far left of this picture a convertible car.

A Norwegian style shoe. Alden now calls their model the "NST" or "Norwegian Stitched Toe". Nettleton called theirs the Algonquin. Gained popularity thru the early part of the 1930's to become a "staple shoe" by the mid part of that decade in the U.S.

breezer

Practically Family
First post - vintage horse hair Hawkins Astronauts - very unusual and great looking ankle boots with DM style air sole. But I know little else about these boots. !960's?

11926167735_2fd2b1785b_z.jpg

Last edited:

breezer

Practically Family
Did I mention they have fleecy / sheering lining? Hawkins were a UK shoe manufacturer - they made a line of boots that were near identical to Doc Marten's famous boot - both Hawkins and Dm's were ( and still are ) popular with skinheads and other youth movements. But the shoes shown above are a real mystery - and even more frustrating is the chap that sold me them never divulges where he sources his stuff! Anyway I love and treasure them - they look great with any outfit.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
A Norwegian style shoe. Alden now calls their model the "NST" or "Norwegian Stitched Toe". Nettleton called theirs the Algonquin. Gained popularity thru the early part of the 1930's to become a "staple shoe" by the mid part of that decade in the U.S.

Definitely. The popularity of Norwegian toe bluchers carried on right through the 1940s, '50s and '60s. Two-toned versions like the pair below are almost the ubiquitous shoe of the rockabilly revival scene.

mTrbsP1R5W1cl_v8CgkJNkg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo