Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/darkchocolate_zps92049dca.jpg.html] [/URL][URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/spadesole_zps139ad0f5.jpg.html] [/URL][URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/camerapictures012-7_zpse4848d15.jpg.html] [/URL]

These NOS spade sole J&M Italian Hot Rods showed up today, the dark chocolate brown color is hard to catch with my cell phone, I was happy to see the overall color of them, the white leather is blemish free, and I have a love for soles that have that vintage finish a color all their own sort of a waxy tan.
I get to thank my Wife for finding these for me, I am still waiting for my Barkers to arrive from England, and the real wait is for the Vass.....(o.k. Cookie, burn them candles...but wait till you see what your postman brings ya)! lol!

Last edited:
just bought a rather shabby pair of oxbloods on ebay. Good clean re polish and new laces Nice !! and only £8
DSC_0047-1_zpsdd09946a.jpg

VM

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Wow, you did good, they look really nice now! Looks like they are not too worn either! When ever I obtain a shoe that has any creasing in them, I condition them like crazy and put my shoe trees in them adjusted up to where they pull the shoe so tight, you can about "hear" the shoe cry in pain! lol! Then I just keep using the conditioner for a few days in a row, keeping the leather as tight as I can get it, you could do that with those shoes and they would look almost brand spanking new! I like the color you have there.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
These are on my feet today, a big heavy pair of Loakes.. not really a dress shoe but look nice with jeans.. When I can afford it I really want a nice pair of spectators.. Loake Brogues.jpg loake 3.jpg Loake 4.jpg Loake 2.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The loakes are nice, I have not yet owned a pair but I find them a very attractive wing tip and they appear to be made the way a shoe should be made!

Wow, you did good, they look really nice now! Looks like they are not too worn either! When ever I obtain a shoe that has any creasing in them, I condition them like crazy and put my shoe trees in them adjusted up to where they pull the shoe so tight, you can about "hear" the shoe cry in pain! lol! Then I just keep using the conditioner for a few days in a row, keeping the leather as tight as I can get it, you could do that with those shoes and they would look almost brand spanking new! I like the color you have there.
Im right on it !!
VM

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Im right on it !!
VM

Honestly those wingtips are very nice looking shoes, they look nice as they are now, but if you can pull some of the ceasing out they would look newer! If I had them I would condition them until the leather was "sponged" from all the leather conditioner, then I would grab a old towel, spray bottle of distilled water, soak them even more with the water, put in my wooden shoe trees, pull them tight as ever, and iron the creases out of the leather. But it takes some practice to iron a shoe, I tell people if they do that, grab some junk shoes to learn on first. As you have to keep a towel between the shoe leather and iron and the leather has to be wet as all hell and well conditioned before hand and I would not use a good new clean iron either, as you will find out this will ruin a iron for doing clothing with it after doing shoes (unless you are great at cleaning the surface of an iron off). I say all this as when I look at those wingtips they just seem to be so nice, I am sure they are a high end brand of shoe and just trying to figure out the make of them?

Honestly those wingtips are very nice looking shoes, they look nice as they are now, but if you can pull some of the ceasing out they would look newer! If I had them I would condition them until the leather was "sponged" from all the leather conditioner, then I would grab a old towel, spray bottle of distilled water, soak them even more with the water, put in my wooden shoe trees, pull them tight as ever, and iron the creases out of the leather. But it takes some practice to iron a shoe, I tell people if they do that, grab some junk shoes to learn on first. As you have to keep a towel between the shoe leather and iron and the leather has to be wet as all hell and well conditioned before hand and I would not use a good new clean iron either, as you will find out this will ruin a iron for doing clothing with it after doing shoes (unless you are great at cleaning the surface of an iron off). I say all this as when I look at those wingtips they just seem to be so nice, I am sure they are a high end brand of shoe and just trying to figure out the make of them?
hi there LMH2 there are an old pair of Clarks, they dont do them any more though
thanks for the tips
VM

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
Picked these up from a local thrift shop for a couple of bucks. A little creased and scuffed from storage (still need a clean and polish), but otherwise in unworn condition. Can anyone take a guess as to the vintage of these shoes? I'm not too knowledgeable on shoes, but I'm guessing they're quite old.

They are very well made, and a good brand too! A few dollars well spent :cool:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Picked these up from a local thrift shop for a couple of bucks. A little creased and scuffed from storage (still need a clean and polish), but otherwise in unworn condition. Can anyone take a guess as to the vintage of these shoes? I'm not too knowledgeable on shoes, but I'm guessing they're quite old.

They are very well made, and a good brand too! A few dollars well spent :cool:

They may be 1940's? I would strongly suggest you soak those shoes with leather conditioner for a week (inside and out) before you wear them. I would for now also take out those shoe trees until you get some leather conditioner on them. Don't worry about waxing them until you make sure the leather conditioner has soaked in very well. Get it everywhere on the shoes, pour it right on inside the shoes, rub it in with your fingers. If not you will risk those shoes having some "splitting" apart possible issues. Old leather needs to be brought back to life. You got a very wonderful looking pair of shoes!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I'm thinking 40s but the fronts are pure 20s though they could have been even a bit 70s. The heels and spade make them old. The heel is wider than the waist which makes me think 40s. Hullo! time for my bath they say = in Mr Pecards.

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
They may be 1940's? I would strongly suggest you soak those shoes with leather conditioner for a week (inside and out) before you wear them. I would for now also take out those shoe trees until you get some leather conditioner on them. Don't worry about waxing them until you make sure the leather conditioner has soaked in very well. Get it everywhere on the shoes, pour it right on inside the shoes, rub it in with your fingers. If not you will risk those shoes having some "splitting" apart possible issues. Old leather needs to be brought back to life. You got a very wonderful looking pair of shoes!
Shoe trees are out! Thanks for the tips! It didn't occur to me that leather this old would need conditioning, they don't feel dry/brittle at all, but I definitely don't want to run the risk of ruining them! Never heard of putting conditioner inside the shoe, but it makes sense. I'll try to track down some decent conditioner next week and get them soaked ;)

I'm thinking 40s but the fronts are pure 20s though they could have been even a bit 70s. The heels and spade make them old. The heel is wider than the waist which makes me think 40s. Hullo! time for my bath they say = in Mr Pecards.
Aha, pleased to hear they are as old as I expected! I was getting a 20s feel from them too, but 40s is just as good. I was hoping you'd chime in, as I did wonder if the soles were of the spade variety.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Shoe trees are out! Thanks for the tips! It didn't occur to me that leather this old would need conditioning, they don't feel dry/brittle at all, but I definitely don't want to run the risk of ruining them! Never heard of putting conditioner inside the shoe, but it makes sense. I'll try to track down some decent conditioner next week and get them soaked ;)

Aha, pleased to hear they are as old as I expected! I was getting a 20s feel from them too, but 40s is just as good. I was hoping you'd chime in, as I did wonder if the soles were of the spade variety.

The shoe trees being in a older vintage shoe can "take out" the very back on the inner heel leather, inside the shoe, where it is sown...until you make sure that area of the shoe is very well conditioned. Take your time with the conditioner, the shoes are old...they need many applications with the conditioner....use your fingers to rub some in and the work it in a few times just keep adding the conditioner and don't be afraid to really use a lot of it, those shoes should soak in about a entire 8 ounce bottle over a weeks time period with ease. You will know when they are conditioned well enough, the texture of the leather will feel soft, wet and cold, and fairly flexible when you have soaked them enough. I would then let them sit a few days before placing the shoe trees back in them. Use the conditioner everywhere on the shoes...inside, outside even on the soles. Those are very attractive vintage shoes, you made out really nicely on them.

I would also (if they were mine) use conditioner on them every two weeks, give them a touch up with the conditioner, you should not have to soak them again but use the conditioner after you clean them and before you shine them. Leather LOVES conditioner it will help those shoe last longer, take a shine better and help making it easier to clean them up before you shine them.

Oh yes, you will need to rub a dry rag inside them after using the conditioner BEFORE you wear them as the conditioner may allow some shoe dye to "bleed" onto your socks. I normally wipe the inside a few times and then put on some old cotton socks and carefully walk around the room to help "suck up" any extra conditioner and of course any potential leather dye.

Good luck and let us know how they look on your feet later!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24