Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Just received these Red Wing 8051 Oxfords yesterday.
They're still very stiff with some heel slip but I'm sure they'll break in nicely after a few wears.
IMG_4557.JPG

IMG_4540.JPG

IMG_4545.JPG

Real nice Redwings. I noted a few pair of sort of "rare" Redwings for sale on eBay, I should have purchased them, they were I think from around 1950 and were "non steel toe" dress shoes, wingtips!

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's called an oxford shoe in its naming by Red Wing which is why I refer to it that way. I wondered a bit whether it really was an oxford but I haven't studies shoes enough to know the difference.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
got these American made brogues a couple of days ago, any ideas as to maker/era, they fit perfectly and are in great condition;
o1t9d.jpg

2wevss7.jpg
2eygtx0.jpg

eqco01.jpg
259bm00.jpg

One feature of these wingtips that may hold a clue, the tongue of the shoes, have perforations on the very edge of them. Not sure what brand they may be?

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
here's a few more shots,
this one may help, there's a knot/stich at the bottom of the lacing that is crossed over itself;
zioy7q.jpg

this one is of the markings, they state 10D 169640
18118 hand made midsole M/6 4
2wej6dc.jpg

The tongue is indeed perforated with one large hole then two smaller ones either side flanking it and 'pinked' on it's edge;
2w59hee.jpg

the sock is in mid brown calf? with the very back heel piece being in darker ever so slightly rougher textured calf?
2jgqcx.jpg

The sole may not give many clues as the foresole has been replaced at some point(fairly recently?)
125gynk.jpg

the shoes are very nicely made with a high stitch count, 10 to the inch on the sole/welting

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
here's a few more shots,
this one may help, there's a knot/stich at the bottom of the lacing that is crossed over itself;
zioy7q.jpg

2wej6dc.jpg

The tongue is indeed perforated with one large hole then two smaller ones either side flanking it and 'pinked' on it's edge;
2w59hee.jpg

the sock is in mid brown calf? with the very back heel piece being in darker ever so slightly rougher textured calf?
2jgqcx.jpg

The sole may not give many clues as the foresole has been replaced at some point(fairly recently?)
125gynk.jpg

the shoes are very nicely made with a high stitch count, 10 to the inch on the sole/welting

I am going to dig into the clothing closet here and see if any of the wingtips my Husband owns, may have the small perforation holes on the tongue of the shoe...I may maybe guess those shoes are vintage Johnson and Murphy brand, but maybe looking at some shoes from the early 1960's or newer, may find the holes in the tongue.

Many shoes I have seen have a stitch on the bottom of the lace area....but I never paid attention to any of the brands that do. I can check and see what I can find...and would let you know what evidence I can muster.

Editing to say, they are very much a possible Johnson and Murphy brand, here is a eBay link to some vintage Johnson and Murphy wingtip for sale...the edge of the tongue seem the same, and there is a small stitch on the bottom of the opening of the shoe on the lacing area.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Johnsto...7665163?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item5b00eeaa8b

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
It's called an oxford shoe in its naming by Red Wing which is why I refer to it that way. I wondered a bit whether it really was an oxford but I haven't studies shoes enough to know the difference.

FYI, if that is the case, the people at Redwing are MORONS. Those have Open Lacing.

Here is an Oxford (closed lacing)

alfred-sargent-handgrade-shoes-3.jpg

This is a derby/ blucher (open lacing)

rocky_510-8_men_s_high_gloss_dress_leather_oxford_shoe_-_rangemastertacticalgear_1.jpg

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
here's a few more shots,
zioy7q.jpg

2wej6dc.jpg

2w59hee.jpg

2jgqcx.jpg

125gynk.jpg

They are 70's or newer. Brand doesn't really matter much in this case. Are you sure they are 10 stitches per inch on the welt? From what I can see in the pics, they look between 6 & 8.

Boinciel

New in Town
I am not an expert on vintage shoes, but the GBs look nice, man.
Steer clear from Stacy Adams. Just my two cents.

I've had two pairs of their Madison shoes, and I can vouch for the fact that they're badly made shoes. They have a welted leather sole (thankfully) and a great shape, but the leather they're made with is cheap corrected grain and painted stuff. It doesn't stand up to wear at all, and the toes of the soles are toast within a season. They don't take a polish due to the painted covering, and once a little bit of road salt gets on them, it's nigh impossible to get off. I've had a summer pair and a winter pair, and the summer pair didn't last two months before the paint started coming off. Their Dayton shoes are a rung lower than their Madisons. Stay away.

Retro, The Wolverines look the best to my eye. The 1901s have an okay upper but the sole doesn't look like a dress shoe sole at all. The Giorgio Brutinis you have are "retro styled", not "vintage styled". While they have a leather sole, they are ridiculously long and pointy and you'll grow to dislike the shape as you get more familiar with vintage styling. The Wolverines have a nice colour combination, dress shoe-looking sole (though it's rubber), and aren't too over-the-top with their styling. They have a nice plain round toe, and will look great with flat laces.

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
Just kopped some of the new Original Chippewa Oxfords. Just took some photos and here they are:

Original Chippewa 4" Tan Renegade Service Oxford:
f85acf52_chipp_ox_03.jpeg

5ee92858_chipp_ox_04.jpeg

Original Chippewa 4" Chocolate Moss Suede Service Oxford:
e19656c1_chipp_ox_01.jpeg

49c2c503_chipp_ox_02.jpeg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Just kopped some of the new Original Chippewa Oxfords. Just took some photos and here they are:

OUCH! nice enough shoes. However, everytime you remind me that every idiot in the modern world (including Chippewa, apparently) is stuck on calling their derby/ blucher an oxford (except for Alden, who calls it a blucher... correctly)!

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Alright, I guess the Wolverines are my next shoes I will purchase. I actually have the 1901s already too, I forgot to mention that in my post. I have to say that I am not very fond of the soles being cream, but the upper is pretty nice. They are very comfortable, as are the Giorgio Brutinis, and I assume the Wolverines would be similar.

I actually might have to relace them, because I can't stand leather/stiff laces. They always come undone. I would probably get flat laces, like Boinciel said, but I would probably have to get white, as I know of no places that sell taupe laces.

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Alright, I guess the Wolverines are my next shoes I will purchase. I actually have the 1901s already too, I forgot to mention that in my post. I have to say that I am not very fond of the soles being cream, but the upper is pretty nice. They are very comfortable, as are the Giorgio Brutinis, and I assume the Wolverines would be similar.

I actually might have to relace them, because I can't stand leather/stiff laces. They always come undone. I would probably get flat laces, like Boinciel said, but I would probably have to get white, as I know of no places that sell taupe laces.

White shoe laces, (flat ones) can be easily made any color you want them to be. Just dye them. You can even make them look "old" if you rub some "tan" colored shoe wax polish on them, let them sit over night, rub as much of the polish off as you can....then...toss them in a pan with very very hot water, with coffee grounds (fresh grounds) and not much water, just enough in the pan that will let all the laces be covered by the gounds and leave them to sit over night. Doing this one time might be enough, if not, do it again...cost very little more than your time. What you will get is a faded looking light brown lace, more or less a one of a kind color to it....and it will look old. Tip (use some plastic wrap and secure it around the tips of the lace so they do not get soaked while they are in the pan with the coffee grounds), they are only pressed/glued on and being wet may make them fall off or apart.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

Very nice. One thing aside from how nice these are, they are made like a real shoe is made, instead of being made like a tennis shoe. Nice colors as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24