Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Good evening Matt. Congarts on the gunboats. These gunboat styles are of my fav style of shoe to wear about.

I do not tune into this thread with the same frequency as "What Hat are You Wearing," but I wanted to say congrats!

I truly have been enjoying wearing shell gunboats. I received a pair of vintage shell shoes from Issinyru101 almost a year ago. Venetian creme (liberally) and brushing are the care that I have been giving the shoes. No more, no less. They look better, to my eye, than when I received them from our esteemed vintage shoe expert. Better in that they have been worn and yet show no-wear for the worse. Like all of us I love a pristine shoe, but I enjoy even more wearing the vintage styles. I bet I have worn them 60+ times this past year. The shell does show folds, but the oiled leather comes "smooth" with shoes trees in the evening. The folds are aging character that smooths with the correct shoe tree and drying out. I have not added creek or wax polish t the shoes this past year and they have benefited from my discipline. It has taken a ton of discipline to not polish them. I was cautioned by the seller and others not to over polish. They have proven themselves correct. Last week I added some creme polish and liberal brushing. They glisten and look sweet. The downside, keep them from any astringents, alcohol stains and of course nicks and dings. I have received a ding in a toe and used the spoon method and brushing and the shoe looks no worse for the wear. In fact I can not see the previous mentioned ding.

Condition the inside - I have wiped them with Venetian creme inside and wiped them clean after wards. I have no idea if it did it good, but know that it certainly did no harm.

Saddle soap - I was cautioned against using saddle soap by my usual cobbler. It was advised to clean with a minimal of soap and water and then use conditioner. I was told especially with the shell the saddle soap does not work. The shell is impregnated with tons of oils and stuff already. The brushing can draw the impregnated substrates out as well as smooth the hide surface. The horse hide can be very dense, but yet be malleable.

In case I have not mentioned it enough in public THANKS Vintage Shoe Expert - Issinyru101 for trusting me to provide a good home to vintage shoes.

Enjoy the gunboats with the special leather. Congrats on the upcoming wedding. Getting married was one of the smartest things I ever did.

Best, Eric -

I can bet your care has indeed, made a great difference in the overall shape/condition of your shoes. I have to say I never use a lot of saddle soap on any shoe, but as made mention I use it just to clean with. The normal application for saddle soap is to lather it up on the leather item and let it dry, then wipe off any excess. I do not use it that way. The Venetian creme has always been a standard for shell. I have used Cadillac on shell a few times, but the Venetian is what is recommended and I am sure does the best job for shell.

Oh yes...being married is a real blessing!

mattface

Practically Family
Good work, Matt. They are shaping up nicely! :)

When's the wedding?

Really nice! I like what you have done with them.

Enjoy the gunboats with the special leather. Congrats on the upcoming wedding. Getting married was one of the smartest things I ever did.

Best, Eric -

Thanks everyone! The wedding is in late June, so plenty of time to get the new suit, and all the accessories in order, but there is so much more to do! February is our month to really fire up the planning machine. We've got the venue, but not the caterer. Need to design the invitations with our friend who does letterpress printing, and get them in the mail, and of course we need to find the dress. Once those things are done we'll feel a lot closer to ready for the big day.

I made a board on pinterest for wedding duds if anyone wants to see what goes with the shoes.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Really? No one is excited about my shell score? [huh] :cry:

Not a bad pickup for $110 bucks, no doubt. However, a WEDDING SHOE??? How is that going to work? I love the longwing, but it is a clunky, wide gunboat shoe... totally devoid of elegance (intentionally). Best worn with denim or a heavy wool. Definitely no good with black (if you plan to wear a tux or black suit) and really no good with an elegantly cut suit. Maybe keep them for more casual wear and look for something more suited to a wedding?

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Good evening Matt. Congarts on the gunboats. These gunboat styles are of my fav style of shoe to wear about.

I do not tune into this thread with the same frequency as "What Hat are You Wearing," but I wanted to say congrats!

I truly have been enjoying wearing shell gunboats. I received a pair of vintage shell shoes from Issinyru101 almost a year ago. Venetian creme (liberally) and brushing are the care that I have been giving the shoes. No more, no less. They look better, to my eye, than when I received them from our esteemed vintage shoe expert. Better in that they have been worn and yet show no-wear for the worse. Like all of us I love a pristine shoe, but I enjoy even more wearing the vintage styles. I bet I have worn them 60+ times this past year. The shell does show folds, but the oiled leather comes "smooth" with shoes trees in the evening. The folds are aging character that smooths with the correct shoe tree and drying out. I have not added creek or wax polish t the shoes this past year and they have benefited from my discipline. It has taken a ton of discipline to not polish them. I was cautioned by the seller and others not to over polish. They have proven themselves correct. Last week I added some creme polish and liberal brushing. They glisten and look sweet. The downside, keep them from any astringents, alcohol stains and of course nicks and dings. I have received a ding in a toe and used the spoon method and brushing and the shoe looks no worse for the wear. In fact I can not see the previous mentioned ding.

Condition the inside - I have wiped them with Venetian creme inside and wiped them clean after wards. I have no idea if it did it good, but know that it certainly did no harm.

Saddle soap - I was cautioned against using saddle soap by my usual cobbler. It was advised to clean with a minimal of soap and water and then use conditioner. I was told especially with the shell the saddle soap does not work. The shell is impregnated with tons of oils and stuff already. The brushing can draw the impregnated substrates out as well as smooth the hide surface. The horse hide can be very dense, but yet be malleable.

In case I have not mentioned it enough in public THANKS Vintage Shoe Expert - Issinyru101 for trusting me to provide a good home to vintage shoes.

Best, Eric -

You are too kind, my friend!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Thanks everyone! The wedding is in late June, so plenty of time to get the new suit, and all the accessories in order, but there is so much more to do! February is our month to really fire up the planning machine. We've got the venue, but not the caterer. Need to design the invitations with our friend who does letterpress printing, and get them in the mail, and of course we need to find the dress. Once those things are done we'll feel a lot closer to ready for the big day.

I made a board on pinterest for wedding duds if anyone wants to see what goes with the shoes.

PLEASE message me. I would really like to maybe discuss the attire you plan to wear and suggest an alternate pair of footwear for a June wedding. Please do not be offended by my postings on the matter. I am VERY fanatical/ passionate about footwear and always like seeing it worn correctly and stylishly.

mattface

Practically Family
Not a bad pickup for $110 bucks, no doubt. However, a WEDDING SHOE??? How is that going to work? I love the longwing, but it is a clunky, wide gunboat shoe... totally devoid of elegance (intentionally). Best worn with denim or a heavy wool. Definitely no good with black (if you plan to wear a tux or black suit) and really no good with an elegantly cut suit. Maybe keep them for more casual wear and look for something more suited to a wedding?

Yes the suit is navy, and my bride will be in a cocktail length dress of as as-yet undecided color. Neither of us wanted to blow a bunch of money on single use items we wouldn't have occasion to wear again, so we are going a bit less formal. I'm aware that a long wing blucher can be downright clunky compared to a sleeker style of dress shoe, but while I admire sleek dress shoes on others, I need a shoe with a round toe and some visual weight to it to suit my build. Sleek shoes just look dainty, and out of proportion on me, much in the same way a narrow brimmed hat makes me look like a pin head. I hadn't really considered the "gunboat" until I saw it paired with the exact suit I am planning to buy, and then I was like "Yes! That is exactly what I want". This is s shoe that will pair equally well with a navy suit and jeans, so I'll get a lot of use out of it, and that's why it was worth it to me to invest some real money into a pair. Living in Vermont where styles trend decidedly casual, I'm usually the best dressed guy at the wedding, and while that may not be cool at someone else's wedding it will work out just fine at mine. I'll probably be the only one there who knows the difference between a blucher and a balmoral, and definitely the only one who cares. I do own a pair of black wingtip oxfords, but I made a conscious choice to go a bit more casual and colorful with navy and burgundy vs. navy and black. So thanks for your input, but I think I've got it covered.

P.S. here is the right suit with the decidedly wrong footwear.

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
and a few detail shots;
2vazjnd.jpg

2holb2f.jpg
fz7ww0.jpg

2lozth.jpg
28k7hnm.jpg

not Dainite soles but Avon which I've never seen before!
2wcmygy.jpg

I am guessing 1950's?, no label or makers stamp just last details and size 7 which sadly is too small for me!!!
a heavyish well made workaday shoe, oh and NOS...... condition is soooooooooo good beacuse they had been in their original box which the charity/thrift shop threw away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
and a few detail shots;
2vazjnd.jpg

2holb2f.jpg
fz7ww0.jpg

2lozth.jpg
28k7hnm.jpg

not Dainite soles but Avon which I've never seen before!
2wcmygy.jpg

I am guessing 1950's?, no label or makers stamp just last details and size 7 which sadly is too small for me!!!
a heavyish well made workaday shoe, oh and NOS...... condition is soooooooooo good beacuse they had been in their original box which the charity/thrift shop threw away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most likely 1970's or 1980's. That size stamp is newer styled, as is the style of forefoot sole. Avon did a lot of resole materials including Danite... more rare to see them with a contract to provide soles for a maker. Pretty cool.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes the suit is navy, and my bride will be in a cocktail length dress of as as-yet undecided color. Neither of us wanted to blow a bunch of money on single use items we wouldn't have occasion to wear again, so we are going a bit less formal. I'm aware that a long wing blucher can be downright clunky compared to a sleeker style of dress shoe, but while I admire sleek dress shoes on others, I need a shoe with a round toe and some visual weight to it to suit my build. Sleek shoes just look dainty, and out of proportion on me, much in the same way a narrow brimmed hat makes me look like a pin head. I hadn't really considered the "gunboat" until I saw it paired with the exact suit I am planning to buy, and then I was like "Yes! That is exactly what I want". This is s shoe that will pair equally well with a navy suit and jeans, so I'll get a lot of use out of it, and that's why it was worth it to me to invest some real money into a pair. Living in Vermont where styles trend decidedly casual, I'm usually the best dressed guy at the wedding, and while that may not be cool at someone else's wedding it will work out just fine at mine. I'll probably be the only one there who knows the difference between a blucher and a balmoral, and definitely the only one who cares. I do own a pair of black wingtip oxfords, but I made a conscious choice to go a bit more casual and colorful with navy and burgundy vs. navy and black. So thanks for your input, but I think I've got it covered.

P.S. here is the right suit with the decidedly wrong footwear.

You are looking great! Just wondering, what size shoe do you wear? I should know it because you have purchased something in the past from Daniel, but that was years ago. AND....I have a pair of shoes here that are black with navy blue suede on the apron of the shoe. They are sort of tight 10 1/2 size, have a spade sole and are older than you....lol! They lace up and are 100% nice vintage super dress shoes. They may be too small for you....but if they would fit you, we'd give them to you for you to have for your wedding. Just let me know your size. In fact, if there are any shoes we could help you with, just ask. We don't mind donating a pair to you as a gift.

If you needed something larger, if you think the black gun boats I have for sale right now here on the classifieds would work for you size wise, (they are a big size 11 D) if you wear that size and would desire to have them for wearing at your wedding, we can give them to you. They are never been worn.....if you would want to wear them with your suit, (I think they would work), well we would just donate them to you.

Let me know...
Cindy

Last edited:

mattface

Practically Family
You are looking great! Just wondering, what size shoe do you wear? I should know it because you have purchased something in the past from Daniel, but that was years ago. AND....I have a pair of shoes here that are black with navy blue suede on the apron of the shoe. They are sort of tight 10 1/2 size, have a spade sole and are older than you....lol! They lace up and are 100% nice vintage super dress shoes. They may be too small for you....but if they would fit you, we'd give them to you for you to have for your wedding. Just let me know your size. In fact, if there are any shoes we could help you with, just ask. We don't mind donating a pair to you as a gift.

If you needed something larger, if you think the black gun boats I have for sale right now here on the classifieds would work for you size wise, (they are a big size 11 D) if you wear that size and would desire to have them for wearing at your wedding, we can give them to you. They are never been worn.....if you would want to wear them with your suit, (I think they would work), well we would just donate them to you.

Let me know...
Cindy

Thanks Cindy I'm a 12D Some shoes that run large (such as Wolverine 1000 Mile) fit in 11. The Allen Edmonds I just bought are 12D and are pretty much a perfect fit. I appreciate the offer, but in spite of Isshinryu101's protests to the contrary I actually think these Cordovan Macneils are going to be the perfect shoe for my wedding needs. Did I mention we are getting married in a barn? Hey it's Vermont everyone gets married in barns. No really.

I still have and really love the brown boots I bought from Daniel years back.

AND....I have a pair of shoes here that are black with navy blue suede on the apron of the shoe. They are sort of tight 10 1/2 size, have a spade sole and are older than you....lol! They lace up and are 100% nice vintage super dress shoes.

I remember seeing these. Woohoo, they are some nice looking shoes. If they would fit me I might consider getting married again just so maybe you'd gift 'em to me.
Of course, the wife I already have might not be too keen on that plan.

Could you post up pics of 'em again just so I can dream a little.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding Matt. I think the shoes you got will look nice. Hell, I got married in a pair of black service station oxfords. Put a spit shine on them and no one even paid any attention.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I remember seeing these. Woohoo, they are some nice looking shoes. If they would fit me I might consider getting married again just so maybe you'd gift 'em to me.
Of course, the wife I already have might not be too keen on that plan.

Could you post up pics of 'em again just so I can dream a little.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding Matt. I think the shoes you got will look nice. Hell, I got married in a pair of black service station oxfords. Put a spit shine on them and no one even paid any attention.

I will dig them out and post some pictures soon.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Esteban:

Those shoes are interesting. I note the comments from 'Ish' saying he believes them to be from the seventies or eighties. To be honest, I don't recall seeing heavier shoes in that style, in that period. Especially if, as you say, they appear to be a work shoe (certainly didn't see anything like that in the shops selling 'seconds' where blokes would be queuing up to get the next batch of DMs that arrived).

Which leads me to wonder whether they might be some sort of uniform shoe. The heavy toecap is common on military parade wear and I have it in the back of my memory that certain regiments did use a brogued parade shoe (maybe one of the Scottish regiments?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21