Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
The shoes are lovely, but that's got to be one of the most absurdly priced ebay listings I've seen. This style simply isn't rare enough to warrant that kind of money, even if they were NOS.

They are 50's shoes to start. What's the issue with the price, though??? Make an offer. The $499 isn't set in stone.

Mormonopoly

Familiar Face
If someone is willing to pay that price for them, then by all means, they're worth that much. I just can't find a justification for that kind of money for that shoe. From what I've seen, its really not that hard to find nice shoes in that style for under $100 if you have a little patience. I've got four pairs of that style myself, including one deadstock, and haven't had to pay nearly that much in an ebay auction. Its one thing if someone's buying from someone like you, in which case its not unreasonable to pay a little more to know that you're buying from one of the best, most knowledgeable collectors in the world. For a random ebay listing though, its just not a reasonable price. I believe that you yourself said that this style was not a $400 shoe just last page. Like I said, if someone's willing to buy it, then fine by me, I just can't see the justification.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
If someone is willing to pay that price for them, then by all means, they're worth that much. I just can't find a justification for that kind of money for that shoe. From what I've seen, its really not that hard to find nice shoes in that style for under $100 if you have a little patience. I've got four pairs of that style myself, including one deadstock, and haven't had to pay nearly that much in an ebay auction. Its one thing if someone's buying from someone like you, in which case its not unreasonable to pay a little more to know that you're buying from one of the best, most knowledgeable collectors in the world. For a random ebay listing though, its just not a reasonable price. I believe that you yourself said that this style was not a $400 shoe just last page. Like I said, if someone's willing to buy it, then fine by me, I just can't see the justification.

Keep in mind that you spend a significant amount of time searching thru a LOT of shoes to find the ones you want. As a vintage shoe lover, you are ALSO willing to purchase and wear something that is not necessarily the correct/ perfect size for you. Others may not be. All I was saying is that the BIN price on ebay is just a high water mark. Some buyers accept nothing less than 90% of that price. Some accept 1/4. Give it a try.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Keep in mind that you spend a significant amount of time searching thru a LOT of shoes to find the ones you want. As a vintage shoe lover, you are ALSO willing to purchase and wear something that is not necessarily the correct/ perfect size for you. Others may not be. All I was saying is that the BIN price on ebay is just a high water mark. Some buyers accept nothing less than 90% of that price. Some accept 1/4. Give it a try.

A good shoe will always demand some higher price. The issue is, to make sure if you spend top dollar that you have a decent shoe. Vintage presents some of the best made shoes, (more so for the bang for a buck) than any other shoe you can find in that price range. Hard to find real all hand made shoes anywhere for less than five hundred bucks, no matter what the brand name could be. Many true vintage shoes are hand made. Quality level just goes ZOOM way up there for that one reason alone. Then you have to look at MTO Custom made shoes...they are not cheap and as we can see from a very recent post just done about custom order shoes, they had a very long "wait" time for the shoes to be completed and shipped. The pairs of VASS shoes Daniel owns, I paid for. As they were custom order and had some restrictions for materials within the package sale price of a discount for more than one pair at a time to be made it was still close to $859.00 per pair and a wait time of 190 days. THAT by most standards was perhaps FAST for a shoemaker like VASS.

freakersea

New in Town
picked these up today for just a few dollars, hadn't heard of the maker before, bit of google searching has only really brought up some old ads. quality seems pretty good. anyone have any information the maker etc ? (apologies for the bad iphone pictures)

**addendum - was an offshoot from the car company?

Last edited:
I have not, unless they also made a mighty fine car :).

As a side note, Packard is a great name - it is surprising that it has not been revived as a new company or at least as a sub-brand within a big company. From time to time, I read articles about how hard it is for companies to find good names as so many are taken - I wonder if someone owns the name and, if so, if they have a plan for it.

There was a Packard Shoe Co. that operated in the Boston area in the late 19th century on into the 20th century. Don't know if it's the same. Might be worth looking into.

Mormonopoly

Familiar Face
Here's a recent addition to my collection: 1940s Dobson Perforated Spectators. They're unfortunately not in great condition, but they're wearable and I'm delighted to find a pair in this style that's actually large enough for me to wear.

dddrees

New in Town
^I think its fabulous that they actually are wearable at this point. I'm also a big fan when it comes to spectators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran