Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

willyto

One Too Many
I would think those are from the 1940's and as they do indicate on the inside label a service shoe, thus the steel toes! Super nice find you have there. Note the soles have the stitching covered by a real thin extra layer of leather. You need to put some sole protectors on the soles and maybe a nylon tap on the toe and heel areas to help guard against wear. Your shoes have a spade sole influenced shape that is common to some really nice vintage shoes. I would hope you will take the time and soak those in some conditioner inside and out, several times to bring the life back to that leather. Then use some shoe trees in them. I think I would be right on the money about 1940's. They remind me of a pair of French Shriner shoes from the 1940's my Husband has. Super nice shoes you have. You struck gold for some nice vintage shoes.

Thank you for the extended information. I will upload soon some pictures of a nice pair of white Cricket Boots that I also bought with the boot trees with handle included. They were in a really decent shape minor the usual wear but the sole had been replaced with new rubber ones at some point.

The thing is that I'm not sure about what I should do to take care of those shoes and boots. Which conditioner do you recommment? I just have Neats Foot Oil from Saphir but I don't want to put the wrong conditioner on them and ruin the shoes or boots. The shoes on the inside are lined in leather in some areas and canvas in other areas.

Also, what kind of sole protectors do you recommend? Rubber ones should be OK over the leather sole and Heel? I have a local cobbler here with more than 25 years of experience but I don't know if he has the knowledge about vintage shoes that are over 70 years old or more. When I brought the Veldtschoen shoes he didn't know about the construction so while he has all those years of experience I'm convinced he doesn't know as much as you people do.

On the last pair I got that I showed here I decided to wear them with the double leather sole because they were very sturdy and heavy, so far I haven't encountered any problem but I have that feeling that I desecrated their original state, but soles are made to walk after all :D

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you for the extended information. I will upload soon some pictures of a nice pair of white Cricket Boots that I also bought with the boot trees with handle included. They were in a really decent shape minor the usual wear but the sole had been replaced with new rubber ones at some point.

The thing is that I'm not sure about what I should do to take care of those shoes and boots. Which conditioner do you recommment? I just have Neats Foot Oil from Saphir but I don't want to put the wrong conditioner on them and ruin the shoes or boots. The shoes on the inside are lined in leather in some areas and canvas in other areas.

Also, what kind of sole protectors do you recommend? Rubber ones should be OK over the leather sole and Heel? I have a local cobbler here with more than 25 years of experience but I don't know if he has the knowledge about vintage shoes that are over 70 years old or more. When I brought the Veldtschoen shoes he didn't know about the construction so while he has all those years of experience I'm convinced he doesn't know as much as you people do.

On the last pair I got that I showed here I decided to wear them with the double leather sole because they were very sturdy and heavy, so far I haven't encountered any problem but I have that feeling that I desecrated their original state, but soles are made to walk after all :D

Do not use any neats foot oil on any shoe or boot. It may be o.k. for a leather baseball glove or a canteen holder, but not on a shoe ot boot.

If you can find some Cadillac Boot and Shoe care, or Bick 1 (made by Cadillac) that is what I recommend. It is safe to use on the inside and outside of shoes or boots. You simply need to soak the entire shoe with it. Now if you have something with suede, you have to avoid using any on the outside surface, but you can use a slight amount on the inside of the shoe or boot on suede. Just do not soak that area of the shoe or boot. Another conditioner that can work, is Lexol. BUT you have to get a conditioner that is a thin conditioner, so it can soak into the leather.

You might find some Cadillac Boot and Shoe care on the internet. If so, you will find that even a full bottle of it may be needed as most vintage shoes or boots the leather is more dry then you would think. The leather will "drink" a good conditioner right up. It takes years for leather to get dry so do not expect it to be hydrated over night. Rub in the conditioner with your fingers. Let your shoes or boots get enough over a few days time. You will feel the leather be a bit "slimy" in some ways when you have soaked enough in, then let the shoes or boots just sit and dry a day or two, wipe them inside and out with a clean white cotton rag, ( I use old clean T-shirts).

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

Oh yes...the sole protectors. Topy is a good brand name for those, I use a self adhesive thin sole protector, but I have to order them from a seller on eBay and then I have to prepare the sole and clean it off and use a glue, "Barge all purpose Cement"

willyto

One Too Many
Do not use any neats foot oil on any shoe or boot. It may be o.k. for a leather baseball glove or a canteen holder, but not on a shoe ot boot.

If you can find some Cadillac Boot and Shoe care, or Bick 1 (made by Cadillac) that is what I recommend. It is safe to use on the inside and outside of shoes or boots. You simply need to soak the entire shoe with it. Now if you have something with suede, you have to avoid using any on the outside surface, but you can use a slight amount on the inside of the shoe or boot on suede. Just do not soak that area of the shoe or boot. Another conditioner that can work, is Lexol. BUT you have to get a conditioner that is a thin conditioner, so it can soak into the leather.

You might find some Cadillac Boot and Shoe care on the internet. If so, you will find that even a full bottle of it may be needed as most vintage shoes or boots the leather is more dry then you would think. The leather will "drink" a good conditioner right up. It takes years for leather to get dry so do not expect it to be hydrated over night. Rub in the conditioner with your fingers. Let your shoes or boots get enough over a few days time. You will feel the leather be a bit "slimy" in some ways when you have soaked enough in, then let the shoes or boots just sit and dry a day or two, wipe them inside and out with a clean white cotton rag, ( I use old clean T-shirts).

Oh yes...the sole protectors. Topy is a good brand name for those, I use a self adhesive thin sole protector, but I have to order them from a seller on eBay and then I have to prepare the sole and clean it off and use a glue, "Barge all purpose Cement"

Thank you very much. I've gone trough some of your posts and your thread of the shoe services you offer and was impressed by the results of the conditioner.

I found that Cadillac shoe care product and bought 4 bottles of it to make the shipping price worth it although it gets a bit expensive from the USA. I've been looking for information on the different conditioners and I could have bought Lexol from Amazon in Spain but I read that it could darken the leather and I don't want that at all so after seeing your results on vintage shoes I will trust your experience. It seems that Saphir Renovateur is popular in the shoe crowd but I believe most of them only use it on modern shoes so I don't think it would serve the same purpose here that reviving old shoes is required.

A quick bad picture I took of the boots at my hotel room, it doesn't do them justice.

0bUc7rZ.jpg

I believe they're Nubuck leather because it's not as smooth as normal leather but is not suede. I have no idea about how I'm going to clean them and condition since it seems it is not recommended to use conditioners on the outside of this kind of leather but I just loved them and they were my size so...I just have to add a new insole and they're good to go after some treatment. The only remarkable damage is 2 little cracks on the left boot just under the las shoelaces holes on the vamp, you can see it if you look close.

3QMMDxu.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you very much. I've gone trough some of your posts and your thread of the shoe services you offer and was impressed by the results of the conditioner.

I found that Cadillac shoe care product and bought 4 bottles of it to make the shipping price worth it although it gets a bit expensive from the USA. I've been looking for information on the different conditioners and I could have bought Lexol from Amazon in Spain but I read that it could darken the leather and I don't want that at all so after seeing your results on vintage shoes I will trust your experience. It seems that Saphir Renovateur is popular in the shoe crowd but I believe most of them only use it on modern shoes so I don't think it would serve the same purpose here that reviving old shoes is required.

A quick bad picture I took of the boots at my hotel room, it doesn't do them justice.

0bUc7rZ.jpg

I believe they're Nubuck leather because it's not as smooth as normal leather but is not suede. I have no idea about how I'm going to clean them and condition since it seems it is not recommended to use conditioners on the outside of this kind of leather but I just loved them and they were my size so...I just have to add a new insole and they're good to go after some treatment. The only remarkable damage is 2 little cracks on the left boot just under the las shoelaces holes on the vamp, you can see it if you look close.

3QMMDxu.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

0bUc7rZ.jpg

3QMMDxu.jpg
Saphir makes a suede shampoo. Get that and use a soft tooth brush and white cotton rag to slowly and carefully wash those shoes off. Use not so warm water, you do not want to use any really warm water nor hot water on them. BUT before you do all that use that conditioner on the insides of those shoes. POUR it in and use your fingers to spread it all around. I will PM you and give you a complete guide for cleaning those all up. You can make them look brand new.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Absolutely not US made shoes. That footbed is more modern, and that "real leather soles" stamp on the sole is a dead giveaway. "Real leather Soles" was not a selling point until decades later. IE: 60's or 70's.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

0bUc7rZ.jpg

3QMMDxu.jpg

That is essentially "suede/ nubuck paint" on there. Gonna be a lot of work to get it off. good luck.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Absolutely not US made shoes. That footbed is more modern, and that "real leather soles" stamp on the sole is a dead giveaway. "Real leather Soles" was not a selling point until decades later. IE: 60's or 70's.
That may be correct, as to the advertising of real leather on a sticker on shoe soles and their age. Thanks for sharing another tid bit of wisdom on shoes.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
That is essentially "suede/ nubuck paint" on there. Gonna be a lot of work to get it off. good luck.
Slow cleaning and taking the time to work on them, those can come out fairly nice. But if they have no real suede and it is some other application, it will clean fast with the spot remover or shampoo. To not strip it off but clean it would be my goal and hope that is what happens. HOPE being the key word there!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
As shown by the frequency of posts I am not alone in having not acquired any NOS treasures of late. This morning I spent time caring for vtg. spade sole dress black shoes and my much worn/loved black gunboats. The more modern "alpine leather" gunboats just returned from the cobbler with the 3rd re-sole and some heel work. My cobbler said I am wearing these shoes to death from the inside out. This re-sole I had installed some lug soles and heel. A leather mid needed to be replaced also. They look very different - but I am enjoying the "new"old shoes. For now I am loving my restored shoes.

Conditioner/polish/edge dressing/new laces were de rigor at my house this morning. I find working with my dress shoes relaxing on an early Sunday morning. I bring my shoe supplies, cup of coffee and a couple pair of shoes down to the boat house. Listen to the lake wake up and work on my shoes.

i-LpnGLhX-M.jpg

i-PQG32p4-M.jpg

i-WBQ3xp9-M.jpg

My more modern gunboats Alden and Allen Edmonds I chose "alpine" leather. In common language that is a pebbled grain finish. I like the formal/casual leather and decorative appearance.

Good morning to all, Eric -

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just ordered a pair of Thursday Boot Co.'s President boots from Amazon. I did a quick search on this forum but couldn't come up with anything. From what I've seen and read on some other sites (see BrokeandBespoke.Tumbler.com) they seem to be a remarkable deal: six-inch semi-dress lace-ups in very nice leather, fully lined and with Goodyear-welt soles for a very reasonable $199.00. I remember when they first came out about a year and a half ago they had the biggest response ever for a crowd-based offer (they're now available otc). Has anyone tried a pair?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Bob; Not personally. My brother has enjoyed his for purely casual wear. The EVA insole strip he says is very comfy. He has started looking it a custom White boot. Perhaps it is the boot that drags you into the "rabbit hole."

I hope others with personal experience chin in.

tropicalbob

Ha, I've been there for some time. My wife reminded me yesterday that I now have twenty-six pairs of shoes, boots, etc. Actually, I was just admiring your wingtips and realizing I haven't had a pair in years. Hmm. I was also considering how, these days, it's hard to find such nice shoes being made by anyone but a few makers like Alden and how expensive they've become. When I was a teenager there was quite a fad for wingtips and we all had beautiful ones, and they weren't very expensive. Anything halfway nice today comes at a premium.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
As shown by the frequency of posts I am not alone in having not acquired any NOS treasures of late. This morning I spent time caring for vtg. spade sole dress black shoes and my much worn/loved black gunboats. The more modern "alpine leather" gunboats just returned from the cobbler with the 3rd re-sole and some heel work. My cobbler said I am wearing these shoes to death from the inside out. This re-sole I had installed some lug soles and heel. A leather mid needed to be replaced also. They look very different - but I am enjoying the "new"old shoes. For now I am loving my restored shoes.

Conditioner/polish/edge dressing/new laces were de rigor at my house this morning. I find working with my dress shoes relaxing on an early Sunday morning. I bring my shoe supplies, cup of coffee and a couple pair of shoes down to the boat house. Listen to the lake wake up and work on my shoes.

i-LpnGLhX-M.jpg

i-PQG32p4-M.jpg

i-WBQ3xp9-M.jpg

My more modern gunboats Alden and Allen Edmonds I chose "alpine" leather. In common language that is a pebbled grain finish. I like the formal/casual leather and decorative appearance.

Good morning to all, Eric -
Yes you sure are taking great care of your shoes! They look fantastic! (Just like your Fedora's)!!!!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Ha, I've been there for some time. My wife reminded me yesterday that I now have twenty-six pairs of shoes, boots, etc. Actually, I was just admiring your wingtips and realizing I haven't had a pair in years. Hmm. I was also considering how, these days, it's hard to find such nice shoes being made by anyone but a few makers like Alden and how expensive they've become. When I was a teenager there was quite a fad for wingtips and we all had beautiful ones, and they weren't very expensive. Anything halfway nice today comes at a premium.
If you cruise eBay and or Etsy you can find a pair of Never Worn Wingtips. Just be careful and study the pictures of the shoes before you bid. You want to be sure they are NOT a plastic sole/heel shoe, I myself try to find all leather shoes which help give you better quality. Look for USA made shoes, or English if you are looking for good basic wingtips with the "gunboat" features, thick soles, nice heavy long lasting made shoes. Actually wingtips have never gone out of style, as well dressed gentlemen have continued to wear them.

tropicalbob

Bob; Not personally. My brother has enjoyed his for purely casual wear. The EVA insole strip he says is very comfy. He has started looking it a custom White boot. Perhaps it is the boot that drags you into the "rabbit hole."

I hope others with personal experience chin in.
You and your darned rabbit hole. Today I received my Allen Edwards McAlistairs in walnut and am completely smitten with them. I've also discovered the Pediwear website. I'm done for. Thanks.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
TB; Congrats. I have a similar pair and do enjoy them. Not vintage, but post up a pic. I am interested in seeing the new Allen Edmond offerings.

Thanks for the reference to the Pediwear website - rabbit hole indeed.

I agree that prices have risen quite high on domestic made shoes like Alden. High, but I believe they offer a shoe at a good value. Sales, on-line) have occurred, but not for the model/features/size that I desire. Perhaps they can be had by you. If a few years back I would have been more aware of shoe quality features I would have saved my shekels and instead of having many pairs of shoes, would have a much smaller shoe closet of higher quality shoes that would last a lifetime. Or at least thats my current story. ;)

I have been dreaming/scheming of a new pair of long wing gunboats in a cordovan leather in a whiskey color. Bob, perhaps you already check out the shoe threads over at Style Forum. If not do visit yet do check out the Alden thread for visual stimulation or inspiration. http://www.styleforum.net/t/515126/...6-share-reviews-sizing-advice-and-photos/7725 .

Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko