Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Stingy Brims

Big 10 ft. swell breaking pretty far off shore. I had to swim out unusually far to get past the surfers waiting to catch a wave just before it breaks and paddle into it. I swam my 500 M. course south, then swam back in with the waves breaking erratically. Misjudged one and spent more time underwater than I am comfortable with being tossed around a bit. I realized why no one was surfing this part of the beach. The air temp was low 70s, water temp high 70s, mostly cloudy with showers.

2 3/8th inch Optimo got rained on a bit, but it is just fine and has a nice light felt that forms to the touch.

quite View attachment 291395 View attachment 291396 View attachment 291397 View attachment 291398 View attachment 291399
Eventful day in the water. And beautiful hat

On the Seventh Day of StingyMas...

View attachment 291266

1950s Stetson 3X Beaver Quality - Steel Grey
6 inch open crown - rakish 5 to 4 inch as shaped
1 7/8 Black Grosgrain Ribbon with Boxcar Bow treatment.
2 1/8 brim with 1/8 accented bound edge

The 2 1/8 brim on this 1950s Stetson 3X Beaver Quality may be stingy... but the crown at about 6 inches open certainly is not! With these proportions the crown was looking a bit stovepipe like. It seems whenever I pick this one up I’m working the crown wider and down a bit. It has a cool boxcar bow ribbon treatment. The steel grey felt has some blue tones to it and is a similar feel to my same period whippet.

View attachment 291271 View attachment 291272 View attachment 291273 View attachment 291274 View attachment 291275 View attachment 291276 View attachment 291277 View attachment 291278 View attachment 291279

Merry StingyMas!
SUCH a great lid, Joe! Top shelf!!

Late to the party, but hoping to spread some cheer. I've been working from can til can't the past week but enjoying the season vicariously through all you guys and I truly appreciate it.
20201220_125143.jpg

At barely an inch and a half, the brim on this Stetson is stinger than Jacob Marley, and the deep spruce green color makes it perfect for this time of year.

Wishing safe and happy holidays to all you guys, no matter which one(s) you celebrate.

Late to the party, but hoping to spread some cheer. I've been working from can til can't the past week but enjoying the season vicariously through all you guys and I truly appreciate it.
View attachment 291856
At barely an inch and a half, the brim on this Stetson is stinger than Jacob Marley, and the deep spruce green color makes it perfect for this time of year.

Wishing safe and happy holidays to all you guys, no matter which one(s) you celebrate.
Merry StingyMas Dale

On this EIGHTH day of StingyMas I'm following Jonesy's lead with a custom made Stingy. Here is him, my most slim brim, from the vintage stash of Borsalino felts of Gary White at Custom Hats of Buffalo. They even had a Cavanagh edge!...
...At barely an inch and a half, the brim on this Stetson is stinger than Jacob Marley, and the deep spruce green color makes it perfect for this time of year...
The word "Wow!" immediately came to mind as soon as I saw these hats. I wish I could wear Center Dents as well as you Gents; alas, my head won't cooperate. :(

Not in the same league as any other hat on The Lounge, but I found another stingy brim...sort of:

7ykfjjp.jpg

This cheap cotton bucket hat was one of those "Add $10.95 to your order to qualify for free shipping" deals. It's light and comfortable, and it might keep rain off of my head if I uncurled the brim, but not particularly useful for much else except to simply have something covering your head.

The word "Wow!" immediately came to mind as soon as I saw these hats. I wish I could wear Center Dents as well as you Gents; alas, my head won't cooperate. :(

Not in the same league as any other hat on The Lounge, but I found another stingy brim...sort of:

7ykfjjp.jpg

This cheap cotton bucket hat was one of those "Add $10.95 to your order to qualify for free shipping" deals. It's light and comfortable, and it might keep rain off of my head if I uncurled the brim, but not particularly useful for much else except to simply have something covering your head.
Thanks Al! And that's a mighty cool fishing hat. A classic casual style, in my opinion. Back in the 80s, when a lot of the good vintage hats were still in the closets of their original owners, that style of cheap porkpie was a wardrobe staple with my group of friends. They're perfect with jeans and a t-shirt and a pair of Chuck Taylors.

On the Eighth Day of StingyMas....

F1E049E4-9164-486F-99DE-2CA98DFCFD8C.jpeg
2B39E342-DE9D-45C9-A7AA-92B1A9031689.jpeg

Wearing the ultra lightweight Lee Smartlee enjoying the Miami Dolphins victory over the New England Patriots that eliminated the Patriots shot at post season play for the first time in 12 years. End of an era

Lee Fifth Avenue - Smartlee
Ultra lightweight felt 76 grams
Off white with tan/brown undertones
5 inch open crown (4 1/2 as shaped)
1 1/8 light brown grosgrain mid ribbon
1 7/8 raw edge brim

I took a flyer on this Lee Fifth Avenue Smartlee. I knew from the photos it would probably be a lightweight felt but upon arrival I was blown away by how incredible thin and airy it is! This unlined hat weighs in at just 76 grams and I attribute a good amount of that to the sweatband as the band itself is bit thicker and heavier than on my ultra lightweight borsalinos which weigh in between 64g and 74g. I believe in felt alone this one may well be the lightest. It is incredibly soft to shape and the color combination is just beautiful in person. An off white cream color with tan and brown undertones with a light chocolate brown grosgrain mid-ribbon. It does have one small hole In the felt toward the rear of the crown. Luckily it is well hidden in the crease. I may attempt a repair Or at least place a small piece of tape on the inside just to ward off further degradation in that area... but it is not any big issue visually. I think this one may become a perfect Florida Friend.

172AEA55-4F00-45C7-912C-214057E87033.jpeg
3A0A4962-1D17-4BD9-9003-0B4314429B2A.jpeg
68077D8E-E24D-4028-96EF-3336471BED0D.jpeg
662A63AA-2B24-4C1B-B0CC-5EA3E5665147.jpeg
A0617E03-92D7-49EF-A61B-EE94E261CADA.jpeg
310B9B8C-848C-45CA-91AE-A2DDB4EA0317.jpeg
E109BEA6-C296-401B-80D5-A6B7BE659CAB.jpeg
1CF73980-588C-4FC1-A289-F82E5FDFC620.jpeg

Mm25

Practically Family
I understand because I occasionally have the same opinion of a few of my hats, but I think that Disney's proportions suit you, at least for casual wear.
Thank you.
I usually select hats with sun/weather protection as part of the criteria. I guess if I went out at night I could try this. It might block moonbeams.

On the Eighth Day of StingyMas....

View attachment 293367 View attachment 293368

Wearing the ultra lightweight Lee Smartlee enjoying the Miami Dolphins victory over the New England Patriots that eliminated the Patriots shot at post season play for the first time in 12 years. End of an era

Lee Fifth Avenue - Smartlee
Ultra lightweight felt 76 grams
Off white with tan/brown undertones
5 inch open crown (4 1/2 as shaped)
1 1/8 light brown grosgrain mid ribbon
1 7/8 raw edge brim

I took a flyer on this Lee Fifth Avenue Smartlee. I knew from the photos it would probably be a lightweight felt but upon arrival I was blown away by how incredible thin and airy it is! This unlined hat weighs in at just 76 grams and I attribute a good amount of that to the sweatband as the band itself is bit thicker and heavier than on my ultra lightweight borsalinos which weigh in between 64g and 74g. I believe in felt alone this one may well be the lightest. It is incredibly soft to shape and the color combination is just beautiful in person. An off white cream color with tan and brown undertones with a light chocolate brown grosgrain mid-ribbon. It does have one small hole In the felt toward the rear of the crown. Luckily it is well hidden in the crease. I may attempt a repair Or at least place a small piece of tape on the inside just to ward off further degradation in that area... but it is not any big issue visually. I think this one may become a perfect Florida Friend.

View attachment 293371 View attachment 293372 View attachment 293373 View attachment 293374 View attachment 293375 View attachment 293376 View attachment 293377 View attachment 293378

It is interesting that my Smartlee back bow is not lightweight felt at all. It is more of a medium dress weight. Love this one, it looks really light.

On the eighth day of Stingymas a Lounge friend gave to me...the 880! Been saving this one for today. My friend Brent @deadlyhandsome from the Fedora Lounge gifted this beautiful Resistol 880 to me a while back. It is part of a series of models commemorating the "Jet Age" of the late 1950s/early 1960s. They had all the airliners, mostly by Boeing. The Convair 880 came out against the Boeing 707 and did not take off (pun intended). Elvis Presley bought one as his personal plane and named it the "Lisa Marie". I love a hat that tells a story!
4Dec18 Resistol 880 first crease 500x.jpg
4Dec18 Resistol 880 bow 880 pin 450x.jpg
4Dec18 Resistol 880 Kitten Finish sweat logo 500x.jpg
4Dec18 Resistol 880 Liner 500x.jpg
Convair 880 in flight 550x.jpg
lisa-marie_web 550x.jpg

It is interesting that my Smartlee back bow is not lightweight felt at all. It is more of a medium dress weight. Love this one, it looks really light.
Yes.. it appears in the 60s the Smartlee was a much more lightweight hat sorta of similar to the Lee Bonvoyage which was a roll up hat I think

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ