Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

xceL

New in Town
I really like that combo. Nicely done. The whole look is very sharp and put together. A proper man's hat can do wonders, no?

You may also like to try wearing your hat tilted forward and with a slight cant to the side; the edgyness of such a method would complement your skinny lapels and bold, skiny-ish tie, I would think.
Thanks!

Ah, I've been wondering how to wear the hat, tilted sideways a little or wearing the front tilted more up or down. It seems wearing the fedora straight up with no tilt in any direction looks mildly average at best.

Not a day goes by that I don't get compliments wearing that dark grey suit + dark/light grey fedora combo!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Thanks!

Ah, I've been wondering how to wear the hat, tilted sideways a little or wearing the front tilted more up or down. It seems wearing the fedora straight up with no tilt in any direction looks mildly average at best.

Not a day goes by that I don't get compliments wearing that dark grey suit + dark/light grey fedora combo!

One of the loungers here has a quote from Bogart which runs, and forgive me if I misquote, "Angles are attitudes - cock your hat". Definitely straight up and perfectly level is not the way to go. The way you angle your hat conveys different impressions; for example, wearing the hat level but tilted forward is quite agreesive/military in bearing. I always wore my headdress in the army in just such a way to convey a sense of focus and intensity. Wearing the hat tilted forward and canted to one side gives more of a mysterious/aggressive/devil-may-care kind of look. Tilting the hat back on the head slightly makes one look more casual, easy going, informal, perhaps even jovial or playful and makes one more easily approachable.

You just have to experiment to see what suits your mood and attire for the particular day. This guide may assist you in getting some ideas:
Real Men’s Hats: Old-School Fashion and Choosing Your Hat | The Art of Manliness

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Picked up this other suit a few days ago, couldn't pass it up. Pre-1949 Union tag bold look suit, complete with dropped belt loops.
CIMG2791.jpg

CIMG2792.jpg

xceL

New in Town
One of the loungers here has a quote from Bogart which runs, and forgive me if I misquote, "Angles are attitudes - cock your hat". Definitely straight up and perfectly level is not the way to go. The way you angle your hat conveys different impressions; for example, wearing the hat level but tilted forward is quite agreesive/military in bearing. I always wore my headdress in the army in just such a way to convey a sense of focus and intensity. Wearing the hat tilted forward and canted to one side gives more of a mysterious/aggressive/devil-may-care kind of look. Tilting the hat back on the head slightly makes one look more casual, easy going, informal, perhaps even jovial or playful and makes one more easily approachable.

You just have to experiment to see what suits your mood and attire for the particular day. This guide may assist you in getting some ideas:
Real Men’s Hats: Old-School Fashion and Choosing Your Hat | The Art of Manliness

Great! So at least when I was wearing my hat up during my social occasions I wasn't looking completely out of place! Haha, accidentally wore it correctly ;)

Thanks for that, very helpful!

Currently looking at a bit more of a flat and slightly broader brimmed hat. Apparently my features are "screaming" for that kind of fedora, haha.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Picked up this Ralph Lauren Polo label suit the other day: 2 button, grey with blue windowpane overlay. I am thinking about selling it, I do not like the low button stance...

402441744.jpg

402441745.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Double-breasted vintage suit, vintage tie and beige shirt from thrift stores. Spectator shoes from Ebay. Fedora from a booth at the DC Big Flea.

r inne
Swell looking suit, excellent colour coordination, and love those shoes, just perfect. Only minor point that occurs to me, it seems like your inner jacket button is undone (the hidden one that holds up the inner side of your jacket) It throws off the drape of the jacket and makes it look a bit wider than it really is. Other than that, very well done!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Picked up this Ralph Lauren Polo label suit the other day: 2 button, grey with blue windowpane overlay. I am thinking about selling it, I do not like the low button stance...

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL888/13487861/24106472/402441744.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

I know what you're saying, Chasseur, but still . . . you were born to wear suits and that stance, while lower than you're used to, doesn't detract from the overall look of you looking sharp in a great suit.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Benny,

Thanks for the kind words!

I am in process of cleaning out the closet for summer.

Here's a Brooks Brothers linen suit I picked up awhile back, I'll be listing it the classifieds soon I think.

402753770.jpg

402753769.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Wow, good eye! Say, does that 'leave the bottom button unbuttoned' rule apply to double-breased suits?

Thank you! If I may be permitted to be so corny as to paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, "It is my business to notice what others miss" :D

Agree with Gene that with a DB you are equally correct to leave the bottom button undone or not. It helps to undo it at least when you sit, so as not to stress the fabric of your jacket. Personally, because of the military origins of the DB jacket, I like to button all the buttons as this would be the "proper" way when speaking of the navy, and adds to the symmetry of the look.

Chausser, why are you in such a hurry to be rid of such an excellent linen suit? If I wasn't fairly sure it wouldn't fit me, I'd even consider taking it off your hands! You look very smart in that suit and panama.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the kind words. Actually I've bought a few other items and I've got to free up some funds. Otherwise I would keep it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy