Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

mikepara

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Those would be copies of Apparel Arts, right? I haven't seen any Esquire's Encyclopaedias for sale for a while. The ones on amazon range from $415-$2,143.

I got a photocopy of the pre-70s pages.

bk

just picked one up for £5.00 Great or what!

Jovan

Suspended
Orgetorix said:
It's actually not all that uncommon for hats to shrink a bit. You can stretch them back out with a hat stretcher like this one.
That would explain a tonne. My hat is just a bit tight, and easily slips off. Here it is, in action.

fedora.jpg

While I'm here, I thought I should show my Matt Deckard avatar homage.

deckard.jpg

I suppose the shirt pattern isn't very Golden Era, though I thought the tie might work for you guys. I usually don't wear it all that much, save for interviews that require conservative attire.

Before I get the thread too :eek:fftopic:, back to the suits!

Jovan

Suspended
Thanks. That one isn't the greatest quality, but I thought it looked smart. I'd be a bit self conscious to go out in public wearing it, because I'm always reminded of the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry makes an "Indiana Jones" remark about George's new brown fedora.

Rooster

Practically Family
Jovan said:
Thanks. That one isn't the greatest quality, but I thought it looked smart. I'd be a bit self conscious to go out in public wearing it, because I'm always reminded of the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry makes an "Indiana Jones" remark about George's new brown fedora.
That's one thing you worry about at your age, what other people may think. Now that I'm an eccentric funny looking older fellow, I'm not concerned so much what other peole may think anymore. Which is great, because I can wear loud plaid suits and Tom Mix styled cowboy hats and not have a care in the world....:p

Jovan

Suspended
I could do that, except I prefer the muted stylings of James Bond a la Connery. :) I always loved how the cut of his suits, (the "Conduit cut" as per the street his tailor worked on) and shirts made an impact, rather than what colours he wore. He could be wearing a standard grey worsted with black tie and white shirt with black shoes and still look stunning. But alas, this is a subject for another thread.

Point is, it's not that I don't have the confidence to wear louder things, it's just not my style. [huh] As for the hat, I guess I could give that a try sometime and just ignore the rude passersby... of which there are a lot in this college town.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
What hat are you wearing in the DB suit pix? I like it a lot.

It's an Akubra Stylemaster, Fletch. I ordered it especially with the contrasting black ribbon from Everything Australian. Incidentally :)offtopic: ), I ordered a bluegasss green Stylemaster from them a month ago. There's a three month wait on that colour, but in due time we'll have an answer to what that colour looks like!

Upr Crust, you are too kind, sir! You have an exceptional wardrobe!

upr_crust

New in Town
Too Kind? Hardly - accurate, certainly in terms of . . .

. . . chronology (you are many years my junior), and as for our respective levels of handsomeness, I leave that to the disinterested bystanders;) .

I will be curious to see your bluegrass green Stylemaster - I have a dark green fedora myself, which I wear with camel or brown overcoats. I find the combo stylish and attractive. Best of luck with your new hat.

Benny Holiday said:
It's an Akubra Stylemaster, Fletch. I ordered it especially with the contrasting black ribbon from Everything Australian. Incidentally :)offtopic: ), I ordered a bluegasss green Stylemaster from them a month ago. There's a three month wait on that colour, but in due time we'll have an answer to what that colour looks like!

Upr Crust, you are too kind, sir! You have an exceptional wardrobe!

Here's one just about to go to mothballs for the summer months. It's a very heavy tweed - someone's wedding suit from 1949 (the only suit i've ever felt really bad about getting for pennies. it was clearly a well loved family heirloom , and the person had to sell it).

here she is, diagonal brown/taupe striped tweed. the shoulders are really too big so until i get it altered i can't wear the jacket really. But it's definitely one to get altered! This is a keeper.

The fabric:

DiagonalTweed.jpg

Full length. Jacket wide in the shoulders and big through the chest.

DiagonalTweed1.jpg

Better detail of the jacket. It's a 3-button front with patch hip pockets but standard breast pocket.

DiagonalTweed2.jpg

Waistcoat and trousers.

DiagonalTweed3.jpg

bk

^^ that one ^^ i've had for a long time, just never got around to posting it.

This one i've just brought into the fold. And unbelievably, it's actually too small for me. See how tight it is when i fasten the jacket. I can barely fasten up the waistcoat, but it seems like both the jacket and waistcoat have been made smaller though the chest and waist at some time. And i'm carrying a few too many pounds around the waist right now so it's even tighter than it should be. It was made in 1940 by a tailor in Portland, OR.

Teal1.jpg

It's that same incredible teal green colour as one that wingnut posted a while ago. great stuff . . .

bk

GBR

One of the Regulars
As a guide how high above the navel are these?

They look stunning.

Baron Kurtz said:
Here's the suit i got from Bertie Wooster last week. Dated 23-3-54, a wonderful British tweed, proving how hard it is to date a suit by cut alone. This cut would have been seen at all times between the 30s and 60s. I shortened the legs a tad - without trimming off any fabric, of course.

Here's the fabric of the suit; A double windowpane in white and blue on top of a standard light-ish brown tweed (light colour, that is, this is super heavy fabric).

WoosterSuit1.jpg

And here's how it looks on. I think i got the legs to a good length, eh? As always the arms are too long, but there's plenty fabric to shorten 'em.

BertieWoosterTweed1.jpg

And do you like high waisted trousers? I certainly do, and these are a pair of lower rib huggers!

BertieWoosterTweed2.jpg

The classic British back to the trousers:

BertieWoosterTweed3.jpg

Looking at the pic above, i should say that for some reason i dopped my right shoulder. The legs really do both end at the same point of the shoe (note the left one looks shorter in the last image). Whoops, i need a haircut, too.

bk

upr_crust

New in Town
Speaking of summerweight D/B suits . . . .

. . . my D/B Polo, bought for a formal wedding some six years ago. Possibly not retro enough for this forum, but an attractive suit (IMHO) and very lightweight.

Feraud

Bartender
upr_crust said:
. . . my D/B Polo, bought for a formal wedding some six years ago. Possibly not retro enough for this forum, but an attractive suit (IMHO) and very lightweight.

It is double breasted. What is not to love?

Are we that critical? Wait, do not answer that! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace