Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Jerekson

One Too Many
New DB suit

I acquired this beauty from a fellow lounger, Mr. Rover.

Late 40's to early 50's vintage, I've since dated it to sometime 1946-48. Two-button double-breasted, navy blue with red plaid. Really beautiful pattern on this one.

It fits me great (at least, I think it does). However, I do notice that the pants are too long. I'll have to get them fixed.
They're really high waisted, which is fantastic...
The armholes are nice and high too, which is pleasant...

By the way, sorry about the sucky shirt/collar. It was the only one I had ready to go this morning.

Kev_portrait_26.png

Kev_portrait_28.png

Kev_suit_8.png

Kev_portrait_25.png

Kev_suit_9.png

Thanks Rover!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Great suit. Love the fleck. If you shorten the pants, don't cut them if you can help it. Just hem them with the est of the fabric folded in. They can always be shortened, but once cut, they can't be lengthened.

I would say a smidge biggish, but since you are slim it still looks fine hanging a little. A broader shorter guy can't get aways with it. And judging from your face, I would guess that in a year or so, it will probably fit you and you will be glad you bought it big.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Rover said:
Reetpleat, this is the suit I bought from you a year or so ago...it just didn't fit quite right.

I remember. I saw the pics when you first got it. Just a little big on ya. Glad to see it found a new home. Ironic to have gone all the way overseas just to come back home.

Just curious. Are you planning on getting any bigger, or are you buying and having tailoring done on the assumption that for the forseeable future, you will be the same size.

I never thought I would have to think of this, but alas, not dancing anymore I seem to have put on about ten pounds and my suits don't fit so well anymore. The panst are easy, but the jackets might or might not be able to be let ou. aaaaarrge.

Anachronist

New in Town
I have a few nice vintage sport coats, but no suits. However, I just received my Thick as Thieves MTM. For those of you who don't know, TaT is run by a gentleman who posts a lot on the Styleforum and Modculture message boards, so kind of a local. He specializes in late 50's/60's mod styled suits, though they are updated a bit. Nice high armholes, though.

p1011110za4.jpg

p1011101ed0.jpg

p1011104rx9.jpg

Double vented, flat front pants - I know it's not what usually goes over big around here, but I like it.

Regards,
Alexander

Marty M.

Vendor
Welcome wagon.

Hi Alexander, welcome to the Lounge. Great looking suit. Great attention to detail. I'm happy to see that you picked a bright lining. I think that the lining sets the tone for your suit. How wide are those lapels?
Marty Mathis

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Modern 100% wool suit. The fabric is moderately heavy weight, though still light by vintage standards. Trousers are flat front, unfortunately no cuffs but they might be just long enough for me to add some.

mebluepatternsuit.jpg

bluesuitwithChristmastie.jpg

Has a nice pattern to it.
DSCF1392-1.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Anachronist said:
I have a few nice vintage sport coats, but no suits. However, I just received my Thick as Thieves MTM. For those of you who don't know, TaT is run by a gentleman who posts a lot on the Styleforum and Modculture message boards, so kind of a local. He specializes in late 50's/60's mod styled suits, though they are updated a bit. Nice high armholes, though.

p1011110za4.jpg

p1011101ed0.jpg

p1011104rx9.jpg

Double vented, flat front pants - I know it's not what usually goes over big around here, but I like it.

Regards,
Alexander

Very nice suit. I am not so convinced about the middle button thing. I know it has been discussed at length. Butb I believe some sixties suits were meant to be all three buttoned. I think this suit might look better with the top one buttoned.

Great cut and lining.

Jovan

Suspended
I say fasten it how you choose. It can look untidy to have it fastened all the way when sitting and it bunches up in front, is my only real comment about that whole debate now. From what I understand, Savile Row tailors recommend middle only. But they also say no belt loops ever and would have you wearing braces all the time. [huh]

Anachronist

New in Town
If I had my druthers, I'd button the top button, too. But as far as I can tell, this suit was actually cut to only button the middle button (what they call a 2 1/2 or a 3-roll-2). With the top button done up, it pulls ever so slightly, and the collar stands away from my neck. It's minor enough that I think I could have a tailor fix it, but being the clothing geek that I am, it bugs me enough that for now at least it's a 3-roll-2.

Regards,
Alexander

Jovan

Suspended
That might be so, but I wouldn't quite call it a three-roll-two. He only does that if you request it on a three button, and you can see on the Ivy Sack that it's rather more dramatic looking.

ivySackJacket.jpg

I just won this suit on the Auctions Site That Shall Not Be Named. My first vintage! Comments?

vintagenavysuit.jpg

I'll naturally post pics of me IN it when it arrives and I get the trousers taken in an inch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart