Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

virgi

New in Town
does not look like a 50s or 60s piece at all, probably early 30s, have you noticed if it has dove tailed joints? It would be a higher sign of quality and most likely a piece of an earlier decade, and not the 50s/60s

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Cufflinks.
Ca. 1910.
9ct. Gold.
$80.

Photographs of the links...

IMG_0375.jpg

Hallmark: 9ct...

IMG_0373.jpg

Always wanted one of these things. Dad bought it today at the flea-market for $30:

IMG_0376.jpg

The top spins around. Will hold 12 coats/hats (we'll use it for hats).

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
LocktownDog - Thank you - I think we'll go ahead and buy it (if it's still there) - it's a lovely solid piece of furniture isn't it?

does not look like a 50s or 60s piece at all, probably early 30s, have you noticed if it has dove tailed joints? It would be a higher sign of quality and most likely a piece of an earlier decade, and not the 50s/60s

Thank you Virgi - I didn't know about dovetail joints (checked some Deco lockers we have and I was pleased to see they have them!) so didn't check for them - this is something I will do in future! When I saw it first I was thinking 30's but then I wasn't so sure - any Deco stuff we have doesn't have engraved wood detailing like this particular piece so it threw me a bit!

Shangas - Love the hat & coat stand - would love one of those myself!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I love those oldschool coat & hat racks. I've always wanted one. Dad found it at the market and bought it.

It's a modern reproduction, but I don't care. It's light, it's surprisingly stable and the top swivels around.

Here's what it looks like all loaded up:

IMG_0381.jpg

Hats on the top: Dad's.
Hats below: Mine.
Walking-stick: Mine. I chucked it in there just because I could.

Handsome old clock there, estaban68.

I've acquired a couple of old wind-up alarm clocks myself over the past coupla-three years -- a creamy white rectangular Lux and a square Westclox in black, also bought on the cheap, maybe five bucks each, if memory serves. Both of mine work fairly well, but it takes a pretty vigorous shake to get 'em ticking once they're wound. I have no idea why that is. Perhaps you could fill me in on that?

Speaking of ticking ...

It had been so long since I used a wind-up alarm clock I had apparently forgotten just how loud that ticking is. Either that, or for some reason completely unknown to me these two old clocks of mine are louder than the typical wind-up clock from their era, which I kinda doubt. I'm thinking that the likelier explanation is that we just grew accustomed to the sound back when we used those clocks and trained ourselves to tune it out.

At any rate, mine very rarely get used, because, well, the ticking can disturb a 21st century person's sleep. And it has. But they're still cool, you know, and i'm happy to have them.

virgi

New in Town
it's a good sign of a quality piece. Cheaper furniture didn't bother with these types of joints. (like kitchen cabinets) if you look at a lot of modern examples, like furniture from ikea, they forgo dovetailing all together.

A license plate topper and a couple old magazines. Ironically, the Life Magazine from 1953 was originally delivered to a house a few blocks from where my dad grew up in Milwaukee. Small world.

GEDC0066.jpg

Also picked up this Ward's 16 Gauge Side-By-Side Shotgun, today.

GEDC0075.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Miss Golightly I'd go with late 1930's- early 50's typical 'British' take on 'Deco' though an unusual style...good find...BTW guys what is a chesterfield coat, I'd never heard of them until coming on here...Ilive in Chesterfield and wondered if there was any connection Montague Burton perhaps?

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Got this for £1 off local carboot, it doesn't run as yet as it needs a new mainspring but is easily fixed when I find one, cosmetically it is pretty near mint...not sure of the age but guessing c1940-1960;
2epq2vc.jpg

Nice clock

I've always thought they looked a bit sad though

Couldn't they turn the +/- thing the other way?

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Well in his case it could be because he is no longer working, I'll see if I can make him smile when I track down a new mainspring and fix him up! BTW he looked even sadder when I first got him he was covered in dirt and tobacco smoke! but the old faithful mixture soon got him clean!

esteban68 said:
Well in his case it could be because he is no longer working, I'll see if I can make him smile when I track down a new mainspring and fix him up! BTW he looked even sadder when I first got him he was covered in dirt and tobacco smoke! but the old faithful mixture soon got him clean!

Whenever you see a watch or a clock in an ad you'll notice that the hands are usually set at 10:10. That's to make it "smile" -- or so I seem to recall reading or hearing about it somewhere.

Last edited:

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
Found this framed portrait at Goodwill.

UncleGeorgeCrossland.jpg

It's from 1918, and on the back is written 'Uncle George Crossland.' Guess I have a new uncle!

(Sorry for the poor quality of the picture)

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Found this framed portrait at Goodwill.

UncleGeorgeCrossland.jpg

It's from 1918, and on the back is written 'Uncle George Crossland.' Guess I have a new uncle!

(Sorry for the poor quality of the picture)

:D I did the same recently. Framed photo from 1910s (?) of a gentleman in a bowler posing stoically for the portrait. It now hangs above the tie rack in my bedroom. Every time I put on a tie, I nod at him and utter "Thank you, sir".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran