Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Here James, I'll show you what we've done so far.

Here's the box. As you can see, there's a circular mark on the lid we have to get rid of. Also, you'll notice that the lid doesn't shut all the way. That's because of the lock (which is now fixed!)

IMG_0428.jpg

This is the inside:

IMG_0429.jpg

This is pretty much how we got it. As you can see, it's well and truly gutted. We've spent ages sanding out all the old glue and grimy bits of leftover felt. I'll be trying to find some dark blue/purple felt to match the one strip of remaining felt there.

IMG_0430.jpg

This is the wooden insert for the top layer of pens that's going into the box (the box will contain two layers and should hold between 90-100 pens).

IMG_0445.jpg

This is one of the plastic trays that we're using to hold the pens. As you might recognise, there's some real vintage beauties there. Someday in the future, this box will be their new home.

You have done quite a lot so far. :eusa_clap That should look great when you finish it. Nice pens as well. I have a few myself but they were more or less family pens from way back then. I don't have an excellent holder like you will though. :p

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I bought this neat tie-rack today for $3:

IMG_0522.jpg

Yes, one of the bars on the left is a bit bent, but I reckon I can knock it back into alignment.

IMG_0523.jpg

"Made in W. Germany", so manufactured sometime in the 1970s or 80s probably.

Marzena

One of the Regulars
I picked up this drink dispenser set this weekend at an estate sale for 40 dollars. It pumps a shot into your glass. I haven't tried it so I don't know how large a shot. I guess you can pump it as many times as you like...:D

barsetup.jpg

They go Gin, Scotch, Vodlka - and what does the last one say?
BTW, congratulations - great find!

Olivander

New in Town
That's an Underwood No.6. Made in 1936, according to the serial number.

The main way to tell a No.6 from a No.3 is that the ribbon color selector is a top-mounted slider switch and not the old front-mounted rocker switch.

A co-worker of mine bought a typewriter for me at auction ($6!!) and I'm wondering if you can help me date it.

underwood%20elliot%20fisher%20typewriter.jpg

I've scoured the internet looking for a photo of this model but to no avail. It's an Underwood Elliott Fisher, copyrighted between 1895 - 1927. I assume this one is dated between 1927 and 1963, since Underwood merged with Elliot Fisher in 27 and merged again with Olivetti in 63.

underwood%20serial.jpg

I tried to date it with this website but couldn't match my serial number up (but I just may be a dummy - I've never tried to date anything before). I also found a PDF of a model 3/4/5 owner's manual (which this one seems to be) so if I'm ever inclined to use it I can (being 21 I've never had to use a typewriter for anything) but for now it's office decor in the newsroom.

DNO

One Too Many
Trolling through a Goodwill and found this terrific mahogany silverware 'canteen'. For $10, how can you lose?

Screenshot2011-11-17at61347PM.png

Screenshot2011-11-17at61355PM.png

No silverware but I'll have no problem filling it up!

DNO

One Too Many
That's the nicest flatware chest I've seen in a long time. From the quality of the chest, I'm guessing the original set was sterling.

I think you're right...it's a lovely chest. I couldn't believe the price...and that particular Goodwill is always teeming with pickers and dealers. (Not the first time I've beaten the sharks to a buy, however.) I suspect it was for a sterling set...thanks to my late mother's good taste, that is what will be going into it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Tools

Trolling through a Goodwill and found this terrific mahogany silverware 'canteen'. For $10, how can you lose?

Screenshot2011-11-17at61347PM.png

Screenshot2011-11-17at61355PM.png

No silverware but I'll have no problem filling it up!
Forget about silver ware, that would be perfect to store my metal lathe tools! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy