Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Picked up a few 8-tracks.

2012-01-24%252022.54.10.jpg

Julie

New in Town
Hi, I am brand new to this forum but I am hoping to get some insight on these chairs I just bought. They have a small label that says 1959 but otherwise no markings. Anyone have any information as to the maker/designer?
Thanks!
IMAG0766.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I am brand new to this forum but I am hoping to get some insight on these chairs I just bought. They have a small label that says 1959 but otherwise no markings. Anyone have any information as to the maker/designer?
Thanks!

I couldn't tell you more about them than you already know, but someone here ... http://www.designaddict.com/design_addict/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread_show_all/

... just might.

I dig 'em, and had I spotted them at a thrift store I would have snapped 'em up in a heartbeat, provided they were marked at a thrift store price.

Do you mind saying where you found them? And how much they set you back?

Flicka

One Too Many
I didn't buy this; my sister found it in her attic and gave it to me (so thrifted for free!). It's a set of a dozen coffee cups with plates, coffee jar, milk jar & sugar bowl that my grandmother got when she got married in 1946 but didn't like and didn't use. The funny thing is that my sister is using a set of coffee cups that she got from our stepmother whose mother in turn got them when she got married in 1945 but didn't even like well enough to unpack...

Well, my grandmother unpacked these but my mother says she can't ever remember seeing them used. I think they're rather pretty, in a boudoir kinda way.

Some pics:

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

BigFitz

Practically Family
Thanks!
IMAG0766.jpg

I have no idea but those chairs are terrific! Welcome to the Forum!

Last edited:

BigFitz

Practically Family
I didn't buy this; my sister found it in her attic and gave it to me (so thrifted for free!). It's a set of a dozen coffee cups with plates, coffee jar, milk jar & sugar bowl that my grandmother got when she got married in 1946 but didn't like and didn't use. The funny thing is that my sister is using a set of coffee cups that she got from our stepmother whose mother in turn got them when she got married in 1945 but didn't even like well enough to unpack...

Well, my grandmother unpacked these but my mother says she can't ever remember seeing them used. I think they're rather pretty, in a boudoir kind

Some pics:

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

Wow, that is a very nice looking set. And at a great price, too.:D

Julie

New in Town
I couldn't tell you more about them than you already know, but someone here ... http://www.designaddict.com/design_addict/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread_show_all/

... just might.

I dig 'em, and had I spotted them at a thrift store I would have snapped 'em up in a heartbeat, provided they were marked at a thrift store price.

Do you mind saying where you found them? And how much they set you back?

Hi, thanks for the advice, I will check out designaddict (I wasn't sure where to look). They were actually craigslist and unfortunately not at a thrift store price but I thought having a pair was worth it. Regardless, I love them.

Hi, thanks for the advice, I will check out designaddict (I wasn't sure where to look). They were actually craigslist and unfortunately not at a thrift store price but I thought having a pair was worth it. Regardless, I love them.

If having them brings you some measure of satisfaction, then they're worth every penny and more. They have quite the simple elegance about them, and judging from the photo they appear very well made -- good for several lifetimes, I'd think, provided they are reasonably well treated.

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
i wanted to shower and go read a book about 5 hours ago, but instead i ended up being glued to here, craigslist, etsy and the goodwill auction site.
womp womp... looks like i'll be adding a new waterfall dresser to my house soon, though! :) weeee! go craigslist!

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
I'm so excited right now! :) I found a waterfall dresser on Craigslist yesterday.. for only $45! Picked it up today and it looks fantastic. It does need a little love, but I'll take care of that this weekend. The lady I bought it from is moving back to her home country and sold all her things - I don't think she realized that some people would pay a lot more than what I paid. Oh well, she had to get rid of it anyway, so I don't feel bad!

There was a tag in the back, the only thing I could make out says "Lee Furniture", I believe.

I also got my New Home sewing machine - tried to find out a little more about the date, but I'm kind of lost. Can't find anything at all on the model number!

Hopefully I'll have plenty of time this weekend to take pictures and arrange everything - I need a few more pieces for my bedroom and also a few for my living room, and then I can finally start decorating!

Sincerely,
One very happy gal :D

Giftmacher

One Too Many
I'm so excited right now! :) I found a waterfall dresser on Craigslist yesterday.. for only $45! Picked it up today and it looks fantastic. It does need a little love, but I'll take care of that this weekend. The lady I bought it from is moving back to her home country and sold all her things - I don't think she realized that some people would pay a lot more than what I paid. Oh well, she had to get rid of it anyway, so I don't feel bad!

There was a tag in the back, the only thing I could make out says "Lee Furniture", I believe.

I also got my New Home sewing machine - tried to find out a little more about the date, but I'm kind of lost. Can't find anything at all on the model number!

Hopefully I'll have plenty of time this weekend to take pictures and arrange everything - I need a few more pieces for my bedroom and also a few for my living room, and then I can finally start decorating!

Sincerely,
One very happy gal :D

ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif

Story

I'll Lock Up
Just to inspire the dumpster divers -

Just before Christmas, Deveta Johnson saw something in the trash in Norristown that looked like an old pile of grocery bags.

She looked closer and found a tattered photo album with hundreds of World War II-era snapshots of African Americans, in wartime Europe and going about their daily lives in rowhouse Philadelphia.

"Wait a minute," mused Johnson, who had listened to her grandfather's countless war stories. "This shouldn't be in the trash."

Her decision to take the album home and show it to her mother, Valoree Nelson, has preserved for posterity what might have been lost to a landfill. In mid-January, Nelson turned the album over to the Historical Society of Montgomery County.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-01-30/news/31005959_1_photo-album-rowhouse-snapshots

Reminds me of a story I read in the paper many years ago about a trashman who found a vintage movie projector and some films in a trash can while on his rounds. The films were someone's home movies of Babe Ruth from the 1920s.

What kind of moron throws stuff like this away?! I am sure there is monetary value there but aside from that, it is an invaluable resource for posterity and even for movies that try to depict scenes accurately. Imagine the picture of the tall man sitting on a downed Nazi plane in full color and part of a movie. Red Tails could have used that I am sure. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot