Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

John Chance

New in Town
The old desk, fresh from the 90s with the turquoise paint to prove it:
yerolddesk.jpg

Was replaced today by my latest thrift store find. I believe its from the 50s, marked American by Martinsdale. Not really a desk, but it's got triple the storage of my old one and looks so much better:
yernewdesk.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Much nicer looking piece of furniture than the '90s number - but not a desk is true. It's the kind of credenza I like to have behind my chair with an actual desk in front of me facing out to those entering my office.

The cats don't seem to like it. Maybe that's a good thing.

John Chance

New in Town
Actually, I sit parallel to the desk with my feet kicked up on a footstool with my keyboard in my lap. This is our living room so the TV is along the far wall and my wife's desk is off to my right. We decided a few years ago that we don't entertain nearly enough to keep a dedicated living room while cramming two computer desks into a tiny study. Having no couch is annoying on occasion but we make do.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I found this cute little 1960s camera by Ansco at my neighborhood thrift store tonight. It shoots 35mm film at half-frame. It's about the same size as a pocket-size digital camera....sorta looks like one, too...

ansco100.jpg
[/IMG]

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
That is nice, QB! Good to see you back on the Lounge.

I found this toaster at an antique mall in Yucaipa, today. It's a Samson Tri-Matic. I'd never seen a front-load toaster before. I saw it's front from about twelve feet away and knew it was something unique. It's eight inches high, eight and a half deep and seven and a half wide (at the base).
SamsnTri-MaticToasterDSC_4227.jpg

These are the side controls. Slide the lower one toward the back of the unit and not only does the tray slide back in, but the mechanical timer in the base begins ticking. You can then watch it slowly make its way toward the front again, while your toast browns. Then push down on the upper knob and your breakfast is ready for butter or jam.
SidecontrolsDSC_4232.jpg

These are the rear controls. The left knob pulls out to adjust darkness, the center is the cord and the toggle switch on the right sets it to toast either one or three slices.
RearcontrolsDSC_4233.jpg

Base Plate.
Base-IdentificationplateDSC_4235.jpg

Price tag was at $55.00, but with 40% off, plus tax, I got it for a few cents under $36.00.

Does anyone have any further information on this toaster? Date of manufacture, maybe?

Lee

JEEP

Practically Family
My GF and I went to a small local "car trunk" market this morning:

Red_ParkerDuofold_Set_03-1.jpg

Mint condition Danish produced Parker Duofold set from the 50s or 60s. More here

Score120409.jpg

60s British made Gillette Tech with alu handle.

Regards.

Jakob

Here's one I found at Saint Vinnie's here in town. I asked the gentleman at the sales counter if I could test it to make sure it worked, he plugged it in and heard no ticking, and told me to throw it away for him. I asked him if since he was only going to throw it away, could I please have it? He permitted me to take it and away I went. Took it home and disassembled it only to find a loose wire nut, put in a new bulb and was in business. It's a Mastercrafters Starburst, which I beleive is from 1959.

myjunknstuff007.jpg

myjunknstuff008.jpg

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
MaryDeluxe said:
I don't know much about these but I believe it to be a late 1930's pinball game! Found at an auction...lights up but needs a little work!

17.jpg

3456871417_4222b11df9.jpg

Yeah, that's officially awesome. :)

Jay said:
That is by far one of the coolest 50s clocks I've ever seen. I thought it looked cool in the worst pic, but it lights up too? Now I really want one.
Thanks Jay! They come up on eBay now and then, just look up Mastercrafters or Mastercrafters Starburst and there's usually a couple. They go for 15-30 bucks on average.

MrNewportCustom said:
I'm with Jay. That is one of the nicest clocks I have ever seen. A great deal you got there!

Lee

MaryDeluxe said:
Very cool clock Tom....I love the way it looks at night

Thanks so much everybody! I am glad that everybody likes this clock, it's one of my favorites same with the story behind it. Sadly, I collect rotaryphones and old Saint Vinnies never has those for me :( Garage sailing season is coming up soon, and I hope to have lots more goodies to show all of you. I love all this 'show and tell' kinda thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred