Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm...

Jish1969 said:
Well i put a new cord on it and it works now, but I still have to figure out how to get the lever to stay down...its boggling me right now.

Maybe an overturned cast iron skillet, about 8 inches across. That ought to do the trick! Remove when desired crispness is achieved. :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Saved this '30s(?) Bakelite alarm clock from a DUMPSTER the other day. I had to solder a cord onto it (I had an old one with Bakelite plug) and it now works perfectly!! I was actively seeking an alarm clock with soul and I'm THRILLED to have this one.

DSCN3774.jpg

Note the Price Control bit on the back:
DSCN3775.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
This old poker caddy was also in that same dumpster. Also Bakelite. I scrounged up as many of the old pressed cardboard chips as I could but it wasn't enough to fill it. (I added vintage playing cards in packs from my own little stash.)
DSCN3894.jpg

Then, today, for fifty cents I found an old box of them just like what I needed so now there's more than enough: :)
DSCN3898.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Saved this '30s(?) Bakelite alarm clock from a DUMPSTER the other day. I had to solder a cord onto it (I had an old one with Bakelite plug) and it now works perfectly!! I was actively seeking an alarm clock with soul and I'm THRILLED to have this one.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/THRIFT/DSCN3774.jpg[/IMG]

DSCN3775.jpg
Nice style. OPA price seal puts it 1941-47.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Nice mid-century modern table. Walnut, perhaps. All solid wood with birdseye maple insets. Couldn't pass up the deal on this but it doesn't really coordinate with our other furniture, so it's in storage until it finds the right home...

DSCN3770.jpg

DSCN3773.jpg

DSCN3784.jpg

No maker's info, just this: [huh]
DSCN3790.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:

DSCN3774.jpg

DSCN3775.jpg

You have the Telechron version of the "Waralarm". The War Production Board allotted a very small amount of scarce material for the manufacture of necessary household goods. This necessarily limited the items available for purchase by the consumer, hence the Office of Price Administration maxima, to limit the inflationary effects of scarcity.

The WPB recognised the need of war workers for reliable alarm clocks, and encouraged the design and production of timepieces which used no rationed material. In response, Westclox developed the WARALARM, a reliable clock in a moulded wood fiber case (later production used a thin steel case). These clocks used but seven pounds of brass per thousand units, as opposed to the 300#/thousand units required to produce the pre-war models. Gilbert, Ingraham, and Seth Thomas soon followed suit. In 1944 small stocks of copper were released which allowed GE/Telechron to produce their own war clocks, which, being electric, sold at the higher figure of $4.95. Sessions, Master Crafters, and Seth Thomas also produced simplified electric alarms in this series.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:

DSCN3774.jpg

DSCN3775.jpg

If I'm right, that says "OPA" on the back, which would date the clock to the early 1940s, because, unless it stands for something else that I'm not aware of, 'OPA' was the OFFICE of PRICE ADMINISTRATION during WWII in the USA of A.

Warbaby

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
Nice mid-century modern table. Walnut, perhaps. All solid wood with birdseye maple insets. Couldn't pass up the deal on this but it doesn't really coordinate with our other furniture, so it's in storage until it finds the right home...

Great MCM table! I wouldn't have been able to pass it up either, even though it wouldn't fit in with our decor and would have gone into storage with all the other stuff that there's no room for...

Being addicted to cool vintage stuff is a terrible curse to bear, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
vitanola said:
You have the Telechron version of the "Waralarm". The War Production Board allotted a very small amount of scarce material for the manufacture of necessary household goods. This necessarily limited the items available for purchase by the consumer, hence the Office of Price Administration maxima, to limit the inflationary effects of scarcity.

The WPB recognised the need of war workers for reliable alarm clocks, and encouraged the design and production of timepieces which used no rationed material. In response, Westclox developed the WARALARM, a reliable clock in a moulded wood fiber case (later production used a thin steel case). These clocks used but seven pounds of brass per thousand units, as opposed to the 300#/thousand units required to produce the pre-war models. Gilbert, Ingraham, and Seth Thomas soon followed suit. In 1944 small stocks of copper were released which allowed GE/Telechron to produce their own war clocks, which, being electric, sold at the higher figure of $4.95. Sessions, Master Crafters, and Seth Thomas also produced simplified electric alarms in this series.

We own 2 of these in corrugated cardboard cases. One of ours still works, the other does not. Very interesting pieces!

96xl7b.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
Jish1969 said:
On my way back from the dentist today I stopped by a local church operated thrift shop and found this McGraw model 1B5 toaster. The cord is shot and I can't get the handle to push down yet but the guy gave it to me for a buck, there was no looking back...Retrotoasters.com puts it between 1934-36...

toaster001.jpg
[/IMG]

toaster002.jpg
[/IMG]

toaster003.jpg
[/IMG]

These are worth a fortune! Great find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy