Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Legion

New in Town
BinkieBaumont said:
"Back in the 1980's I used to buy amazing things in "Yves Saint Vinnies" (Selfridges Trenchcoat) and other "Thrift Shops" now they are full of rubbish, I think they have a "Scrutiniser" who looks through everything, some gets shredded, some goes to the shop and some goes home"

Actually, a lot will have someone "on staff" who pick the eyes out of the place and put the good stuff on ebay. The shops that don't will usually be putting the good stuff under the counter for a mate who will then put it on ebay and give the staff member a kickback of the profit. You will have to be pretty lucky (or persistent) to get quality vintage in thrift stores these days. It happens, but usually only when the "scrutinisers" screw up.

I was talking to the lady at a charity store yesterday. Apparently, to stop this sort of thing happening, the item has to go on sale for 24 hours before the staff are allowed to buy it. That doesn't, of course, stop them from quickly calling a friend or even putting items on "lay-buy" until said friend arrives to pay for it. With the invention of ebay everyone is an antique dealer and a valuation of an item is only as far away as your 3G internet phone.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Recent thrift goodies:

Some fine leather gloves at $2/pr.

DSCN1541.jpg

DSCN1542.jpg

DSCN1543.jpg

DSCN1544.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
What might be throwing you is that the ring tray is missing from the middle.

Sure looks that way in the photo doesn't it. But the ring tray is there with its little padded rows. Left and right are just shallow compartments. The velvet absorbs the light so much that it all goes flat in the photo.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Oooh I see it now.

That's a VERY nice find, Gene! Gee...if only MY father kept his jewellery so neatly. It's all over the place...I don't know what's worse. That, or the fact that he has more jewellery than me, my brother and my mother combined.

dementedmomma

New in Town
a couple of months ago we had this thing called the white elephant sale here in oakland. it's like a great big yard sale in a warehouse. i got this vanity for $35!!! i also scored some beautiful jewlery i'll post later.
april2010064.jpg

i love how big the mirror is.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Wow, I was just thinking...that mirror is HUGE!! :)

dementedmomma said:
a couple of months ago we had this thing called the white elephant sale here in oakland. it's like a great big yard sale in a warehouse. i got this vanity for $35!!! i also scored some beautiful jewlery i'll post later.
april2010064.jpg

i love how big the mirror is.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
white sewing machine

I never heard of this brand, but I really don't know much about any of them. I have to google some research, but I was wondering if anyone here might know something about them? I found this yesterday for $10, working order. It had a "Make an offer" sticker on it, but I felt guilty trying to get it for less than that. ;)

whitesewingmach4.jpg
whitesewingmach3.jpg
whitesewingmach2.jpg
whitesewingmach1.jpg
whitesewingmach5.jpg
whitesewingmach6.jpg
whitesewingmach.jpg
whitesewingmach7.jpg

tuppence

Practically Family
Legion said:
Actually, a lot will have someone "on staff" who pick the eyes out of the place and put the good stuff on ebay. The shops that don't will usually be putting the good stuff under the counter for a mate who will then put it on ebay and give the staff member a kickback of the profit. You will have to be pretty lucky (or persistent) to get quality vintage in thrift stores these days. It happens, but usually only when the "scrutinisers" screw up.

I was talking to the lady at a charity store yesterday. Apparently, to stop this sort of thing happening, the item has to go on sale for 24 hours before the staff are allowed to buy it. That doesn't, of course, stop them from quickly calling a friend or even putting items on "lay-buy" until said friend arrives to pay for it. With the invention of ebay everyone is an antique dealer and a valuation of an item is only as far away as your 3G internet phone.

A couple of years ago I was walking past my local Salvos and there was an incredibly huge amount of junk and in front of the shop, I actually felt like offering assistance until, I saw the channel 7 news cameras.
The Salvos or 7 had dumped all this junk to make a news story about people dumping there rubbish at stores instead of the tip. I couldn't believe that(well I could actually of 7 anyway) that they'd stoop so low.They may have a problem with people dumping junk but there is no need to make things up. You would expect a bit more integrity from the Salvos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy