Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

BoPeep

Practically Family
These two were not exactly yard sale finds . . . more like curb finds. The washstand I picked off the curb on my way to church. Nothing like loading furniture in heels! It needs a new drawer, but I should be able to find salvaged maple to match the patina. All very solid construction. The floor radio was in a neighbor's basement and he said, "Get it outta here!" It doesn't work, but still makes a great endtable. Both pieces are waiting for cleaning and assimilation into the house.

IMG_2221.jpg

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
silver serving set

002-2.jpg
[/IMG]
001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I found this servicing set at a thrift store the other day. The tea pot and sugar bowl I polished with brasso and never dull. The water pitcher and tray still need a good cleaning. Does anyone know what the stamps mean? All have the same stamp except the pitcher. It is marked silver plate. Not sure of the value but I should hope more than the 16.00 I paid for all of them. I am a military collector so this is way out of my realm but they looked so out of place on that shelf.
John Z

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
BoPeep said:
These two were not exactly yard sale finds . . . more like curb finds. The washstand I picked off the curb on my way to church. Nothing like loading furniture in heels! It needs a new drawer, but I should be able to find salvaged maple to match the patina. All very solid construction. The floor radio was in a neighbor's basement and he said, "Get it outta here!" It doesn't work, but still makes a great endtable. Both pieces are waiting for cleaning and assimilation into the house.

IMG_2221.jpg

The Silvertone radio will be a fine performer when it is repaired. Does it use the six, eight, or nine-tube chassis?

BoPeep

Practically Family
okay, okay! lol I won't settle for an end table! It's Model 1965 with eight tubes. Looks all original - judging by the cloth cord and wires. Even two nice paper labels inside with tube diagrams (wish I could get a clear photo for you guys). Just for kicks, I plugged it in - light came on and she hummed! I may be posting for help soon. Here's the front . . .

IMG_2364.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Got all this for about $10.
vintage green horn bros point blanket. Queen Elizabeth II commemorative photo in a round brass frame, the twist compilation LP, some cheap tortoise look sunglasses w/ bottle green lenses.

P1070034.jpg

P1070035.jpg

P1070044.jpg

P1070042.jpg

P1070043.jpg

P1070038.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Today I bought a shaving-scuttle at the flea-market for $10.

Photos:

scuttle1.jpg

scuttle2.jpg

scuttle3.jpg

scuttle4.jpg

The thing sticking out of the spout in the bottom photographs is my shaving-brush. It fits so nicely!!

Done a couple of tests...I can use this to whisk up soft shaving-soap just as easily as in a bowl...in fact, better! This is the best $10 I've spent all year!

MartyH

New in Town
My first hatbox, found it today at a flea market.
P6060064.JPG

Yesterday I was at an antique/curio shop. Immediately I saw five, 5, fine men's hats. Fur felt, made and/or sold[1] (the stamps inside indicated so) in my town or the nearby city. Cheap, compared to what a new Real Hat costs.

And they were all too small for me... Size 57 (US 7 1/8), I'm a 59 (US 7 3/8 to 7 1/2. They probably came from an estate.

[1] Haberdasher. What a nice under-used word. Haberdasher.

swinggal

One Too Many
BoPeep said:
okay, okay! lol I won't settle for an end table! It's Model 1965 with eight tubes. Looks all original - judging by the cloth cord and wires. Even two nice paper labels inside with tube diagrams (wish I could get a clear photo for you guys). Just for kicks, I plugged it in - light came on and she hummed! I may be posting for help soon. Here's the front . . .

IMG_2364.jpg

It hummed? Awesome! Old radios can take quite a while to warm up and begin transmitting. You should let it run for a while (up to 10 mins) and see if it kicks in. I would laugh if the guy that said 'it didn't work' had no idea about the warm up time and that it actually DID work!!

swinggal

One Too Many
BTW, metholated spirits on a rag will give old furniture a new look. Takes all the scratches out and makes things shine, especially if it has been shellaced. Simplest way I know to bring dusty old stuff back to looking like new. I have done it on 2 30s dressers and a wardrobe and was amazed!

swinggal

One Too Many
Legion said:
I've been on the lookout for a vintage trench for a while now and I found this one in a thrift store today. It's not the usual fawn colour, more a sort of dark military green, which I don't mind. It was meant to have a zip in winter lining which is missing and the coats inside lining is an orange rayon, very similar to the type on the inside of flying jackets. I don't think it is military issue, though. It has no label. Maybe it was on the winter liner?

P1050384.jpg

Great to see men who wear long coats in winter. Needs to be more of it! Where are you from fellow Australian?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
swinggal said:
It hummed? Awesome! Old radios can take quite a while to warm up and begin transmitting. You should let it run for a while (up to 10 mins) and see if it kicks in. I would laugh if the guy that said 'it didn't work' had no idea about the warm up time and that it actually DID work!!

Please DON'T plug the set in again, unless you are looking forward to a fried power transformer. These sets use electrolytic condensers in the filter stage. With age they ALWAYS fail. SOmetimes they fail open, and one has a set that HUMMMMS. Often, though, they short, and take the rectifier tube and power transformer with them.

Some pre-1930 sets use high-quality paper condensers, and can be psafely played without restoration, but virtually every post 1930 set requires some simple restoration to be safe to play. In the best case one can replace 12 condensers, costing less than $15.00, in the Silvertone 1965 and end up with a set that will play reliably.

The work is not difficult, and the 1965 is a simple enough set to use as a learner,

Atomic

One of the Regulars
I found this desk lamp a few months ago. It sits slightly unlevel, but was a couple of bucks and still works. I need to remove the stick on the front and clean off some of the dust, but its neat for an old beat up desk. Reminds me of an airplane wing.

DSCN1356.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Goodwill finds today...$2 each

Top is by Botany 500, but I don't think it's vintage because it size label look newer and is sized 'M'

Lower is a vintage Park Royal. No size label, but they both are perfect fits and I am a 7 1/8

Also for sale there are two Stetson Open Roads and a Resitol with the same sort of style, but they're all $25 each...can't afford that.

hats100.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot