Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

davestlouis

Practically Family
Slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd throw it out there...how much electricity does an older radio or tape player use, as opposed to brand-spanking new electronics? I'm told that old refrigerators are energy hogs, but I wonder about TVs and whatnot. Does anyone know?

I just realized that I put the past couple posts in Goodwill buys when I meant to put them in "Show us your Thrift/Yard Sale Finds", if a bartender would be kind enough to relocate them, it would be much appreciated.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Thrift store find of the year!

Not mine, but my wife's.

We were visiting my family in Michigan and took a trip to the west side of the state. While we were cruising around, I spotted a very small thrift store from the corner of my eye. We almost didn't turn the car around and go back, but my wife is sure glad we did! I scored a 50s pair of Cool-Ray by Polaroid sunglasses and some western swing 78s, but hers trumps all finds I have yet to see on this thread:

Its a late 40s early 50s cherry red gabardine suit, originally sold at a department store about 30 minutes from where we were staying. The price? $7 And it fits her!

Yep, the goodies are still out there if you look....

img9007b.jpg

img9009d.jpg

img9001p.jpg

img9003e.jpg

img9005v.jpg

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Wow... see the conversations going on in the Powder Room right now on the high price and scarcity of vintage. Great score! They are out there! :eusa_clap

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
I love this thread. Here are some of my latest flea market finds:

4760685848_47ea6b0f9a.jpg

needs some major cleaning

4760685610_ebc3761d84.jpg

4760685162_5c2ab45c39.jpg

4760050513_779738b4b0.jpg

4760684300_0c8a95ef31.jpg

4760683506_7dc869f052.jpg

4760683890_0d442a7a55.jpg

Don´t know if it´s vintage at all, I just love it.

4760684046_a13ac40544.jpg

Again, I don´t know anything about the period. Maybe someone could help me out with this?

Xavier_Godshore

Familiar Face
I was able to rescue two old chairs and some other furniture some folks were throwing away by the side of the road. Here's one of the two chairs before and after I tried my hand at refurbishing it.

06-27-10_1024.jpg

06-27-10_2121.jpg

Would anyone happen to know how old it might be? I'm guessing it's 1920's-ish as it used to belong to the parents of a woman who's now in her 80's.

PS ~ camera phone = cruddy pictures.

~ X.

Lokar

A-List Customer
As posted in the sewing machine thread:

4802088944_31c72fb91d.jpg

Dates to 1959, incredible quality, every single attachment still intact. Best machine I've ever used that can do more than just a straight stitch.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
davestlouis said:
Slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd throw it out there...how much electricity does an older radio or tape player use, as opposed to brand-spanking new electronics? I'm told that old refrigerators are energy hogs, but I wonder about TVs and whatnot. Does anyone know?

A typical mid-thirties console radio will use about 85 to 120 watts, depending on the number of tubes. A bit more if it's a radio-phonograph. Pretty much what a modern component stereo system would use once you add up all the individual pieces. By comparison, a desktop computer might use up to 400 watts. So much for modern energy efficiency.

(Pre-1950 refrigerators are a long way from being energy hogs, by the way -- they're more efficient than anything made today as long as they have good gaskets. But that's another topic altogether.)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
davestlouis said:

1960's, 1970's and 1980's refrigerators are energy hogs.

Pre-war units are extremely efficient. They had to be, as electricity was fart more expensive in real terms back in the 1930's than it is today.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic:

davestlouis said:

The high def TV's are hogzillas compared to the older sets. When I turn mine on the neighbors have to reset the clocks on their microwaves. I have been told a real stealth energy thief is the instant on feature on all sets.
Tom D.

I'm not big into the high-def craze, and I spent a few years as an electronics salesman. I have 3 consoles, an RCA XL-100, and another wood-paneled unit that came with the place. My picture is just fine on all sets and I even took some friends to Wal-Mart electronics today to show that the picture was no better, and they all agreed. Total cost of all 5 TV's...$0.00.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Found this today at a thrift store. I can't vouch for its age, but the scene depicted is certainly vintage, I'm guessing 30s from the vehicles. It's mounted on a wood frame covered with burlap.

This little kettle set me back 99 cents (plus sales tax) at Value Village.

IMGP1883.jpg

Why it was still available when I bought it, early one evening, has me scratching my head. It was a sale day -- any item with a green tag for 99 cents, regardless of the price marked on that green tag. Usually the professional scouts have that stuff thoroughly picked over before that late in the day.

I didn't have a "wow" moment when I spotted it, but I liked it, and it has really grown on me. It's a simple, elegant design and for that reason I don't mind leaving it atop the stove.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
tonyb said:
This little kettle set me back 99 cents (plus sales tax) at Value Village.

IMGP1883.jpg

Why it was still available when I bought it, early one evening, has me scratching my head. It was a sale day -- any item with a green tag for 99 cents, regardless of the price marked on that green tag. Usually the professional scouts have that stuff thoroughly picked over before that late in the day.

I didn't have a "wow" moment when I spotted it, but I liked it, and it has really grown on me. It's a simple, elegant design and for that reason I don't mind leaving it atop the stove.
Wow! I certainly had the wow moment just then

Nice find

Warbaby

One Too Many
Went to a church flea market yesterday - mostly the same old boring junk, but I did find a couple of great scores. First was a near-mint black leather suitcase for ten bucks. Even the interior was clean and fresh-smelling. I collect vintage luggage and this is now one of my best pieces.

My other find, while not something vintage, was nonetheless a super score - a Sennheiser MKH 415T shotgun microphone in mint condition, also for $10. These sell for around $500 used. Like I said, a super score.

Just goes to show that there are treasures to be found at even the crappiest markets.

BlkSuitcase1.jpg

BlkSuitcaseNameplate.jpg

BlkSuitcase2.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley