Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Voigtländer Brillant (1932-36) After cleaning in working condition.
DSC_0024.jpg

Sled Dog

Familiar Face
Scored this pocket watch and stand the other day
pw1.jpg

I grabbed it pretty fast at this price
pw2.jpg

Porcelain dial is cracked
pw3.jpg

inside...
pw7.jpg

Nice Keystone gold filled case
pw5.jpg

Regent movement...havent been able to find much info on it
pw8.jpg

Im guessing the watch dates to the early 1900's...the stand is modern but still a good score

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Sweet Jiminy Christmas, Sled Dog!! You scored the mother lode! How...I don't even...GAH!

That is absolutely fantastic, and for 2.99 at Value Village no less! Congrats! Are you going to see about restoring it? New bow and such?

Sled Dog

Familiar Face
Sweet Jiminy Christmas, Sled Dog!! You scored the mother lode! How...I don't even...GAH!

That is absolutely fantastic, and for 2.99 at Value Village no less! Congrats! Are you going to see about restoring it? New bow and such?

I would love to have it working, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it, depends on repair costs
Do you know anything about this watch, I can not find much info on the movement
Thx

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I would love to have it working, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it, depends on repair costs
Do you know anything about this watch, I can not find much info on the movement
Thx

Sorry, I'm somewhat new to the world of vintage mechanical pocket watches. I would google Regent Pocket Watch and see what you come up with. Shangas or Don Dhalberg might know more.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The name sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't have any knowledge of this company.

17 Jewels, 3 positions and a swan-neck regulator would indicate a watch of good quality, though. Swan-neck regulators aren't found on watches of lower quality because such fine adjustment isn't worthwhile.

But this needs a fair bit of work. It needs to be stripped and serviced by a watchmaker, it needs a new crown, and a new bow. It has a good quality gold-filled case, so whoever bought this was pretty well-to-do. I doubt that this was a cheap watch when it was new.

The brass stand is a modern one, I think. I've seen them on sale all over the internet. But it's a handy thing to have. If you don't intend to wear the watch, then the stand will make the watch serve as a nice desk-clock.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1949 Airline Radio. Sadly, it just tripped my circuits, and blew up. The radio is fine cosmetically (thank goodness the explosion did NOT start a fire), but I think the tubes are now long gone.

00211.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
1949 Airline Radio. Sadly, it just tripped my circuits, and blew up. The radio is fine cosmetically (thank goodness the explosion did NOT start a fire), but I think the tubes are now long gone.

00211.jpg

That Airline of yours, model 84 HA 1527B, is a transformerless AC-DC set. The tube heaters are wired in series. If there was a tube failure, it is probable that only one is faulty. There is a line bypass capacitor (C9 on the schematic) which is liable to have shorted, if not, perhaps one or both of the filter capacitors (C7a and C7b) failed, taking the 35Z5 recitifier tube and the 2000 ohm resistor (R10) with them . All of these are items which should be replaced anyway before any old radio is put into service.

Your radio, which dates form 1947, is pretty basic, and would make a good first project for a novice.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I know it's best to replace before use, but I was curious, and it worked fine a few times before. Live & learn, aye?

We've all done it.

By the way, a full set of new tubes (12SA7, 12SK7, 12SQ7, 50L6GT, 35Z5GT) for your set is less than $24.00. Good, tested, guaranteed used tubes can be had for less than $11.00

Last edited:

Sled Dog

Familiar Face
Scored some goodies today..
2 moustache cups (25 cents each), an old invalid cup, a tobacco humidor that matches a pipe stand I scored a few years ago
New Old Spice aftershave and Hilfiger cologne, an empty Avon aftershave bottle (to decant plastic bottled aftershave into)
And an Allen Edmonds shoe horn
mocups2.jpg

Not a great pic but this is a like new Hucklecote Salzburg wool coat made in England...really nice, fits like a glove
hucklecote1.jpg

hucklecote2.jpg

This was a cool find and a great deal
rangers1.jpg

rangers3.jpg

rangers4.jpg

rangers5.jpg

New with tags...$300!!! I paid $2.50 :)
rangers6.jpg

Fun day in the thrift stores!!

Scored some goodies today..
2 moustache cups (25 cents each), an old invalid cup, a tobacco humidor that matches a pipe stand I scored a few years ago
New Old Spice aftershave and Hilfiger cologne, an empty Avon aftershave bottle (to decant plastic bottled aftershave into)
And an Allen Edmonds shoe horn
mocups2.jpg

Not a great pic but this is a like new Hucklecote Salzburg wool coat made in England...really nice, fits like a glove
hucklecote1.jpg

hucklecote2.jpg

This was a cool find and a great deal
rangers1.jpg

rangers3.jpg

rangers4.jpg

rangers5.jpg

New with tags...$300!!! I paid $2.50 :)
rangers6.jpg

Fun day in the thrift stores!!

Great finds! I need to go thrifting where you are. :p

Forum statistics