Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

I thought they were neat little decorations for the holidays.

I need to be cracking into that bank right now with all the repair that car's getting lately!

Did you also notice my Lawrence Welk accordion ash tray? :p

My aunt used to have a tree like that.

That bank entitled for my Cadillac has new meaning now.:eusa_doh:

An art gallery in my region recently weeded its library and archives. It held a book sale to raise funds, using the discarded material. I came away with the first four issues of Verve magazine (and two later issues). I’d never heard of this journal before but they looked interesting so home they came.

All I can say is: wow. Stunning. Verve started publishing in December 1937 in Paris and has been referred to as ‘the most beautiful magazine in the world’. The praise is certainly warranted. These issues, all from 1937-38, featured articles by Ernest Hemingway and James Joyce. They featured lithographs by Kandinsky, Miro, Matisse, Chagall, Leger and others. Original lithos, mind you, not massed produced offset prints. Each issue had four lithos. Absolutely stunning. And absolutely the pinnacle of ‘golden age’ publishing. As the NY Times put it in 1988, each issue of Verve was a work of art itself. It really was my lucky day. I found a number of other treasures at the sale, but these took the cake.

Here's the first issue, December 1937. The cover was by Matisse. ...

There's no substitute for a good eye and a well-rounded education. A person lacking either or both might have paid those magazines no nevermind whatsoever.

Great score, man. But I gotta know: How much money changed hands?

DNO

One Too Many
There's no substitute for a good eye and a well-rounded education. A person lacking either or both might have paid those magazines no nevermind whatsoever.

Great score, man. But I gotta know: How much money changed hands?

Ah...that's the relatively embarrassing part. $1 each for the four single issues and $2 for the two copies that were bound together (they were from 1956). So, a total of $6. The fine lady to whom I gave the money was the gallery's archivist and librarian...the one who had selected all the material for sale. But neither she nor I had any idea what these things were worth. I just knew they were stunning magazines in great condition despite being over 70 years old.

I had a great time at that sale. Found an art instructional book from 1928 given to one well known Canadian artist (he was teaching at the time) by half a dozen other well known Canadian artists as a gift. Signed by everyone. (Thirty cents for that one)

Ah...that's the relatively embarrassing part. $1 each for the four single issues and $2 for the two copies that were bound together (they were from 1956). So, a total of $6. The fine lady to whom I gave the money was the gallery's archivist and librarian...the one who had selected all the material for sale. But neither she nor I had any idea what these things were worth. I just knew they were stunning magazines in great condition despite being over 70 years old.

I had a great time at that sale. Found an art instructional book from 1928 given to one well known Canadian artist (he was teaching at the time) by half a dozen other well known Canadian artists as a gift. Signed by everyone. (Thirty cents for that one)

A-effin'-mazing.

I'd think that in this info-at-your-fingertips age the librarian (of all people) would have known what she had there. But that's what I'd get for thinkin', I suppose.

I've scored lotsa cool stuff of late, but I just ain't been in a show-'n'-tell mood. A friend gave me a stack of old sheet music she got for next to nothing herself (great art on some of that stuff), and a week or so ago I found a '60s vintage Osterizer, the "beehive" kind, with the glass jar and the metal collar gizmo that secures the blade and gasket to the jar. Paid 21 bucks for it, which wasn't a steal, but it works just fine (two speeds!) and that's still a lot less dough (and speeds) than the new ones, which I hear ain't made as well.

a week or so ago I found a '60s vintage Osterizer, the "beehive" kind, with the glass jar and the metal collar gizmo that secures the blade and gasket to the jar. Paid 21 bucks for it, which wasn't a steal, but it works just fine (two speeds!) and that's still a lot less dough (and speeds) than the new ones, which I hear ain't made as well.

They aren't that well made. They stink frankly. They are plastic and fall apart after some light use. Heavy use would kill them quicker. Theyr gears are fibre and the plastic pitchers are not long for this world. I bought two decent 50s replacements for my bar. They can crack ice and take a heavy beating. Enojy yours. It will last a lifetime. In fact, it is probably on its second lifetime now. :p

They aren't that well made. They stink frankly. They are plastic and fall apart after some light use. Heavy use would kill them quicker. Theyr gears are fibre and the plastic pitchers are not long for this world. I bought two decent 50s replacements for my bar. They can crack ice and take a heavy beating. Enojy yours. It will last a lifetime. In fact, it is probably on its second lifetime now. :p

That's kinda how I rationalized the purchase. We were in no urgent need of a blender, seeing how the dewy-eyed bride bought a brand-spankin'-new Cuisinart brand blender something like 10 years ago. It still works, but I figure that it's approaching the end.

That's kinda how I rationalized the purchase. We were in no urgent need of a blender, seeing how the dewy-eyed bride bought a brand-spankin'-new Cuisinart brand blender something like 10 years ago. It still works, but I figure that it's approaching the end.

Wow! Ten years is a long time for one of those. I blew out the connector on the bottom of the pitcher of mine. I suppose I did use it a lot to crush ice though. :p

I've been told that Cuisinart brand small appliances are among the better offerings available these day. But then, I've been told a lot of things. And being better than average hardly means "good," or even "fair," if "average" is stuff that'll fail after a coupla-three or four years of moderate household use.

I suspect that what'll first go on the Cuisinart is the switches. It has something like half a dozen speeds and an "ice crush" feature and an "on" switch and an "off" switch (why the need for two?), all on a touch panel sort of arrangement that is wearing through. The jar is glass, but the collar is plastic, as is the motor-base housing. So if that stuff is plastic, I'm suspicious of what the drive parts are made of. So, it wouldn't be worth fixing, even if the parts were available.

Sled Dog

Familiar Face
Hey folks..I havent posted in a while, have some catching up to do...

Was thrifting on my lunch break today
Scored these cool Raybans
rb6.jpg

Wayfarer Max
rb3.jpg

The B&L logo hiding under the price tag...
rb4.jpg

The price tag...$1.99...gotta love thrift stores
rb2.jpg

rb7.jpg

Also picked up this sad iron holder (minus the cast iron), I would think that this would date to the early 1900's
sadiron.jpg

Had to buy this ashtray, coffee cup combo for $1.50...dont think they would make these anymore :)
sipnpuff.jpg

Thanks for looking
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24