Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Enough new, never used, 1915 vintage Ingrain carpet to carpet the guest bedroom (15 x 19 feet). Ingrain, also known as "Scotch" or "Granite" carpet was a flat woven, narrow-loom (27" wide strips), reversible carpet, which was the most common floor covering in America between 1860 and 1920. it passed out of fashion in the 1920's, its popularity eclipsed by hardwood floors and "oriental" styled rugs.

Here is the carpet that I found, fully reversible for double wear!:

Obverse:

rug2046bl.jpg

Reverse:

rug2046al.jpg

The seller has an immense collection of carpets dating between 1830 and 1950. Some golden-age examples which he has in sufficient quantity for room use include these modernist patterns:

rug1233al.jpg

rug2510cl.jpg

rug2512al.jpg

rug2513bl.jpg

rug2514dl.jpg

rug2735al.jpg

rug2735bl.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
He also has these "Bark-Cloth" patterns (they were very popular in the 1930's and 1940's):

barkclothpattern.jpg

barkclothpatternb.jpg

rug2340al.jpg

rug2340el.jpg

rug2425cl.jpg

rug2425al.jpg

A couple of 1930's "neo-Victorian" florals:

rug2436bl.jpg

rug2435al.jpg

and this wonderful Art deco geometric:

rug2458al.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
In addition, they have Velvet Carpet, Wilton, and Axminister "Novelty: rugs form the 1920's and early 1930's:

rug2482al.jpg

rug2666a.jpg

rug2773al.jpg

rug2764al.jpg

These textiles are very hard to find, and almost never show up in antique, junk, or resale shops.

For my own home, I am always looking for narrow-loom carpeting from the 1900-1950 period, and so seldom ever find it.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I don't like to brag about buying things super cheap that I'm going to make a decent amount of money on. But I DO love rescuing things.

Anyone familiar with "the bins" - also known as 'by-the-pound?' Here in Oregon they are the Goodwill bins. Well, you know, after those bins get rolled away and emptied, all that clothing gets baled and sold to be made into paper and what not.

So, I got there last Saturday, and was browsing a row that everyone else seemed to be done with - it had apparently been out for a while. I picked up this big piece of black lace to see what it was, and suddenly realized they were rolling that whole row away to bale it up. That lace thing turned out to be this:

DSC_0428.jpg

Yes, someone donated it. And then someone decided it was junk, and away it went to the bins. And it is a plus size. In fabulous condition. I am *in love* with it, and would totally be keeping it as my find of the year if it were my size.

(*The pretty thing IN the dress is not me - that's my darling ebay model.)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pdxvintagette said:
DSC_0428.jpg

Yes, someone donated it. And then someone decided it was junk, and away it went to the bins. And it is a plus size. In fabulous condition. I am *in love* with it, and would totally be keeping it as my find of the year if it were my size.

(*The pretty thing IN the dress is not me - that's my darling ebay model.)

WOW! Great find!

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
A working fire extinguisher from the good folks at Pyrene:
IMG_1215.jpg

And two birthday gifts from local junk shops; a straight razor and cigarette case now used for toothpicks:
IMG_1214.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
I picked up this big piece of black lace to see what it was, and suddenly realized they were rolling that whole row away to bale it up. That lace thing turned out to be this:

Ok, we should start a FL award for people who save treasures! You win.
Amazing. :eusa_clap

Cricket

Practically Family
th_newtwosquirrels.jpg

I went to an estate sale this morning, and I found these guys tucked away near the fireplace. I thought they were so cute, and I grabbed them. They are now sitting at my desk at work.
I found some great other things that I will post pics of later. I left them in the car and it is raining here. I don't want to get some of the Life magazines I bought to get damaged in the rain.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I bought these three items at the Vintage Fashion Exposition in Santa Monica on the seventh of this month.

A watch fob with my initial on it:
WatchFobDSC_2954.jpg

A brooch I bought for my mother:
GreenShellPinDSC_2958.jpg

And this combination lighter/cigarette case (I'm a non-smoker, but I have several lighters):
LighteroutsideDSC_2943.jpg

LighterinsideDSC_2945.jpg

If anyone can offer any dates on these items, I'll be greatly appreciative. Although, I do know that the lighter is from the '40s.

Lee

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I can't help you with the lighters, Mr. NewportCustom, but boy, does your camera take great pictures! I can't get decent closeups at all with mine.

Anyway, I picked up a few things for my husband the other day at a half-price sale at the thrift store.
Two ties:
100_3702.jpg

and a hat:

100_3585.jpg

100_3586.jpg

Total for everything, $6.

Carlisle Blues

I bought a very nice Navy sports jacket for two bucks(US) got it cleaned four bucks.

Shoulders fit great, but, when I close the jacket I have enough room for a small party.

I am not getting it altered. I bought it specifically for a trip I am taking.

I don't care if the jacket gets spilled on, puked on or anything else. I'll just leave it where it gets trashed.[huh]

Miss_Bella_Hell

Sometimes at the thrift store I see things I want to buy for Loungers or friends but then I realize that if I don't NEED to buy it for me, they probably don't need it either.

Today the items in question were a 40's Toastmaster toaster and a Pyrex bowl with atomic starbursts on it. I do not need a toaster or more Pyrex. Thus I did not buy.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
I bought a very nice Navy sports jacket for two bucks(US) got it cleaned four bucks.

Shoulders fit great, but, when I close the jacket I have enough room for a small party.

I am not getting it altered. I bought it specifically for a trip I am taking.

I don't care if the jacket gets spilled on, puked on or anything else. I'll just leave it where it gets trashed.[huh]

What kind of trip are you taking anyway?Sounds like quite a party.....

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I made out like a bandit this weekend at an estate sale. The first day I came home with my white Easter hat for $3 and a 50's skirt pattern for $1. The next day I came back and since it was 2 hours before closing, they said any cloth or sewing items you could stuff in a bag for $5! I even picked up a few items to trade or share! In retrospect I'm actually kicking myself for not picking up more. :eusa_doh:

Anyway, for me, I came home with a turquoise Catalina 50's bathing suit, a pretty beige slip, a pink nightie and bed jacket, a sheer blue scarf, and a few pieces of beautiful fabric. I also picked up a couple old patterns. In one of them I found a handmade pattern for tap shorts made out of a 1932 newspaper. Reading what I can on it is fascinating!! There is this great ad about how "healthy children need candy to replace all that energy they spent playing.." It's hilarious.

I'll have to do pics later. Most of the stuff is still getting the freezer treatment, just in case...

JEEP

Practically Family
Yesterday I was asked by a friend to come by his parents' house to look at some antique and vintage items that they vere considering to sell. There weren't much or interest, except from a few furniture items, two black 20s suits one single and- one double breasted (both like new) and a 20s black dress - and then there were these toys:

Dukkembler250209_01.jpg

Laminated doll's house wooden furniture, late 19. C/very early 20. C.

Dukkembler250209_02.jpg

Cast gilded (lead?) items, second half of the 19. C.

Dukkembler250209_03.jpg

Painted tin items, second half of the 19. C.

Dukkembler250209_04.jpg

Unfortunally heavily rusted tin items (will have to be gently cleaned), second half of the 19. C.

Dukkembler250209_05.jpg

Various items, second half of the 19. C.

Dukkembler250209_06.jpg

Pewter tableware and sewing accessories, second half of the 19. C.

Dukkembler250209_07.jpg

Functional toy sewing machine, made in Germany, with the original manual in German, 1940's or -50's. My mother had one of those, though smaller and without the decoration

The doll's house items had belonged to my friends grandmother and the sewing machine to his aunt.

My girlfriend is an avid collector of doll's houses and accessories, both new and antique, so I decided to buy these items for her, offering my friend's parents a better price than what an antiques dealer would have given them. Though it still puzzels me why anyone would part with one's mothers/grandmothers toys anyway.

Regards.

Jakob

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
CherryRed said:
Those carpets are stunning!!!:eek:

I got this floor lamp for $32.50 last week at my favorite Antique Mall. It is all original complete with inner white half globe. :D I have been looking for a nice one like this for a long time!
lamp-1.jpg

Awesome lamp! Been looking for one of those for a while now, they all seem to be made of gold seeing how they're often priced.

My mom just found one in great shape for $25. Works too, though we replaced all the wiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24