Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

fashion frank

One Too Many
Very nice..!! Looking better and better....and Merry Christmas Frank..!!
HD

Thanks H.D. we have been working hard on it!
I think once we get all the carpeting in and then hang all the pictures it will be even better.
I havent set up my gym yet but boy you should have seen the face on the movers when they saw all my free weights, plate after plate that kept coming up from the basement of my old house :D
Thanks for taking an interest and I hope that you and yours have a very Merry Christmass!

All The Best ,Fashion Frank

fashion frank

One Too Many
Well we had the folk's over today for the Holy Day of Christmass and although we had to put some still unpacked boxes into an unused bedroom ( we have four) we tried to look "normal" for a day since it's only been about a week and a half since we moved in and here are some shots from the dinner time today.

I hope everyone had a great Christmass !

All the Best , Fashion Frank

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
We have a table cloth like that, although the table is square not oval. :D
Frank the house is coming along nicely.
The first picture with the tree in the background, is a great shot.
That's a keeper. ;)

fashion frank

One Too Many
What a score !

Hello fellow loungers ,I just had to share this one .
I was trolling along on Craigs list and although these were listed over amonth ago they were still for sale from a elderly couple who were dealers.
They are not repos but the real deal from the 1920's and the best part is that they only wanted $20.00 for each lamp the detail on the green globes are a mixture of silver and copper baked onto them .
The way I see it the shades alone were twenty bucks!

They will look awesome in our living !
All the Best, Fashion Frank

Hello fellow loungers ,I just had to share this one .
I was trolling along on Craigs list and although these were listed over amonth ago they were still for sale from a elderly couple who were dealers.
They are not repos but the real deal from the 1920's and the best part is that they only wanted $20.00 for each lamp the detail on the green globes are a mixture of silver and copper baked onto them .
The way I see it the shades alone were twenty bucks!

They will look awesome in our living !
All the Best, Fashion Frank

Nice find there!

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
We have just bought a new house, built in 1954. There is a lot of work that needs to be done to it and DH does not share my vintage aesthetic, so no idea how it's going to turn out! lol! I did finally convince him to take up the carpet in what was the living room (will be our dining room) to reveal the hardwood floor underneath.

Will take some pictures when I'm there tomorrow.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
We have just bought a new house, built in 1954. There is a lot of work that needs to be done to it and DH does not share my vintage aesthetic, so no idea how it's going to turn out! lol! I did finally convince him to take up the carpet in what was the living room (will be our dining room) to reveal the hardwood floor underneath.

Will take some pictures when I'm there tomorrow.

I think that you will find that a period or period inspired decor which echoes the original design of the house will also be quite economical, giving the greatest "bang for the buck", as you will not have to fight the architecture of the house. I'd love to see pictures of your place!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
you will not have to fight the architecture of the house

DO NOT FIGHT THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE HOUSE should be the first three rules for any person claiming to be an interior decorator or professional re-modeler.

If I ever get my hands on the contractors that ripped out the back staircase in every single Queen Anne I looked at here in Bay City, I will be spending a long, long time in prison.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
My house was built in 1955, and I can't tell you how furious I get when I see neighbors put in different crown molding, or granite counter tops. Fake granite like the dark gray I have does go, but not real granite or slate.
Plus you never get your money out of the last 2.

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
Whomever had the house before us (not the original owners) did a lot of work to it, too. Which is why we now have a lot of work to do. DH likes modern, so it's hard to compromise sometimes. Suffice to say I will not be getting a pink bathroom, lol!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Whomever had the house before us (not the original owners) did a lot of work to it, too. Which is why we now have a lot of work to do. DH likes modern, so it's hard to compromise sometimes. Suffice to say I will not be getting a pink bathroom, lol!

No, but perhaps beige speckled tile, or even a modern mosaic tile with a strong horizontal pattern like some of the glass tiles so popular in recent years and, say, a Danish Modern inspired vanity, wall-hung perhaps, will give a nice "period" effect without forcing one into a rigid historicism.

Danish Modern is very popular just now, and a great many fine reproductions are available at reasonable prices.

Modern upholstered furniture is particularly difficult to fit into all but the largest of older houses as it is terribly over-scaled. In the 1980's, furniture manufacturers discovered that over-sized sofas and chairs sold well, as they looked more impressive when displayed in a large furniture store than did pieces of more traditional scale. Unfortunately this large furniture did not look well in living rooms of ordinary scale, hence the ascendance of the so-called "Great Room" at this time.

There are a number of manufactures building fine reproductions of mid-century modern furniture at all price points, all of which is scaled to fit rooms of the typical house of fifty years ago, and most of which is quite comfortable indeed. "Thrive Home Furnishings" ( http://www.thrivefurniture.com ) is one of the higher end firms. There are quite a number of others, which offer stuff at all price points.

Now as for the kitchen, a 1950's or 1960's modern kitchen with, say boomerang Formica counters, simple natural finished cabinetry with period inspired hardware, and perhaps a period range, can be a very pleasant and efficient space in which to work, and yet can offer a sleek, modern aesthetic. The Frigidaire "Flair Custom Imperial" range, for example, performs quite as well as any modern electric range (certainly better than most smooth top ranges), and is much easier to keep clean to boot. These units are fitted with two ovens with an ingenious removable, reversible lining (Teflon on one side and polished stainless on the other) which may be run through the dishwasher to come out sparkling clean. The burners are in a convenient drawer which can be closed in case a vengeful mother-in-law shows up with her white glove. In addition, these ranges have a thermostatically controlled burner which makes complicated sauces a breeze.

The sleek modernist cabinets in the second photo can be custom built and finished by a good finish carpenter for much less than the cost of quality factory-built cabinets. Site-built cabinets have an advantage over factory-built units, in that the shelves behind the doors and face frames are continuous, not broken up into little box units, and so a given length of cabinet will have considerably more storage capacity.

We had that oven!

I would love to have a mid-century ranch home, mostly because they're typically the oldest homes you can buy without multiple stories. (I hate stairs)

No, but perhaps beige speckled tile, or even a modern mosaic tile with a strong horizontal pattern like some of the glass tiles so popular in recent years and, say, a Danish Modern inspired vanity, wall-hung perhaps, will give a nice "period" effect without forcing one into a rigid historicism.

Danish Modern is very popular just now, and a great many fine reproductions are available at reasonable prices.

Modern upholstered furniture is particularly difficult to fit into all but the largest of older houses as it is terribly over-scaled. In the 1980's, furniture manufacturers discovered that over-sized sofas and chairs sold well, as they looked more impressive when displayed in a large furniture store than did pieces of more traditional scale. Unfortunately this large furniture did not look well in living rooms of ordinary scale, hence the ascendance of the so-called "Great Room" at this time.

There are a number of manufactures building fine reproductions of mid-century modern furniture at all price points, all of which is scaled to fit rooms of the typical house of fifty years ago, and most of which is quite comfortable indeed. "Thrive Home Furnishings" ( http://www.thrivefurniture.com ) is one of the higher end firms. There are quite a number of others, which offer stuff at all price points.

Now as for the kitchen, a 1950's or 1960's modern kitchen with, say boomerang Formica counters, simple natural finished cabinetry with period inspired hardware, and perhaps a period range, can be a very pleasant and efficient space in which to work, and yet can offer a sleek, modern aesthetic. The Frigidaire "Flair Custom Imperial" range, for example, performs quite as well as any modern electric range (certainly better than most smooth top ranges), and is much easier to keep clean to boot. These units are fitted with two ovens with an ingenious removable, reversible lining (Teflon on one side and polished stainless on the other) which may be run through the dishwasher to come out sparkling clean. The burners are in a convenient drawer which can be closed in case a vengeful mother-in-law shows up with her white glove. In addition, these ranges have a thermostatically controlled burner which makes complicated sauces a breeze.

The sleek modernist cabinets in the second photo can be custom built and finished by a good finish carpenter for much less than the cost of quality factory-built cabinets. Site-built cabinets have an advantage over factory-built units, in that the shelves behind the doors and face frames are continuous, not broken up into little box units, and so a given length of cabinet will have considerably more storage capacity.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
That oven or a very similar one, was in the Bewitched series.
I always thought the oven doors were the coolest feature of the stove.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
That oven or a very similar one, was in the Bewitched series.
I always thought the oven doors were the coolest feature of the stove.

Ask and you shall receive:

kitchen-8.jpg

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
I love that oven! There is one for sale at the Restore, but DH won't get it because he thinks the wiring will be bad. I do have a gas range that I love, that we brought with us. House was not wired for a gas range, but was near a gas source, so we had someone put a line in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR