Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Fading Fast -- the place is amazing and you should be proud of retaining and restoring the original look and feel.

I love the book shelves and wish we had some like them. We have 2500+ books, but 99% of them are my wife's cookbook collection!

Thank you and thank you Vera for your kind words.

We had the majority of our books in boxes for over 20 years, so this is an incredible experience of us - it is wonderful to just walk along the shelves and think about what you want to read next.

I am very impressed with the size of your cookbook collection as our cookbook "section" is +/- 100 or so. Does your wife collect old cookbooks or is it mainly new ones? Our, by comparison, tiny collection is a mixture of both - we have some cookbooks going back over 100 years, ones in between and many that are current. It is really fun to read through the old ones as you get a sense of how much has changed in food tastes and prep - and how much hasn't.

She collects what strikes her. They do cover the last century for the most part. Maybe a couple that are older.

She loves to read them and sometimes even use a recipe or two.

A nice find in the last month was the cookbook to go with our 1930s wood stove that is down at the "farm". It is the same as this one:

130484524340.jpg

She collects what strikes her. They do cover the last century for the most part. Maybe a couple that are older.

She loves to read them and sometimes even use a recipe or two.

A nice find in the last month was the cookbook to go with our 1930s wood stove that is down at the "farm". It is the same as this one:

130484524340.jpg

That is gorgeous. And incredible and great that you found its matching cookbook - nice job.

We looked into getting a period stove for our apartment, but code, cost and timeline made it very difficult.

However, there was an original-to-the-building stove in another apartment that was being renovated, but the owner was unresponsive to our inquiries. We would have paid her a market price for it, brought it up to code and used it, but for whatever reason, she never responded and, we've been told, her contractor took it during the demo - very sad.

I have a picture of it, but photo bucket seems to be down - I'll post the photo later when it comes up.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Had a milestone today on the Victorian. I would still like to expand the garage, since the sewer line goes under the area, I thought I had better get it checked out with a camera. I called the plumber at noon, and he was there at the designated 2:00, nice to get service again after all the dead beets! They pulled the main level toilet and latter replaced it, no charge. He let me watch and made a DVD copy, he could not believe the condition of the old pipe. When his helper was writing up the ticket, he asked for the condition of the pipe, the plumber said, "excellent!"

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
FF, I am swooning over all the books and your bookcases and shelves...oh gosh. If only I had that at my place! But when my daughter moves out in a few years, I might do something similar her old room. :D

Seriously beautiful. You and your girlfriend have done such a wonderful job. Enjoy!!!

FF, I am swooning over all the books and your bookcases and shelves...oh gosh. If only I had that at my place! But when my daughter moves out in a few years, I might do something similar her old room. :D

Seriously beautiful. You and your girlfriend have done such a wonderful job. Enjoy!!!

Thank you so much. Bookcases (or, in this case, room to build them) was a must. We love books and have lived with most of ours packed away here or there for twenty-plus years, so getting them out on to shelves was a key goal. And now that we have, it has proven well worth it. Beyond what we think is just the beauty they bring to the room, it is fun (and sometimes helpful to my writing and trading) to have easy access to all of them.

The one downside, just strolling around the shelves, I have found so many that I want to re-read that I fear my reading of new-to-me titles will shrink.

Last edited:

Steven Taylor

New in Town
Not sure if I should be happy or sad? I just saw that Fire station No. 4 in Battle Creak, Michigan sold last year for $250,000. I can't believe it went so cheap! The last owner did a lot of work so that you can live in it. Most importantly, he preserved the fire truck bays. I hope the new owner does not neuter the building! Here are some before and after shots.
4450895516_2101551dce_o_zpsvgcgx6kv.jpg
B9318847809Z_1_20150916141918_000_GI7BUDQKU_1-0_zpsxg2c2pt2.jpg
The person that lives there now to my knowledge, I was there within the last 6 months or so and the current occupant has restored engines inside the building.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
That looks and IS awesome, that would have made me keep a lot of my books, my wife wanted a sort out so the less important ones went but your library is super.

Vera and dh66, thank you both for your kind comments.

Vera, the book collection combines my girlfriend's and my lifelong passion for books. Amongst our nearly 2000 titles, less than 200 have any collector value and less than 30 or os that are really worth anything (and none that are really valuable). That said, we love them and finally - owing to the noted built in book cases, plus some Globe Wernicke bookcases (see below) - for the first time since we met 20 years ago, we have them all out on shelves.

Panadora

Practically Family
Well everything were more or less just thrown in :oops:
With the boxes I just wanted to see how many I could fit up there. Now the five no name universal boxes have been replaced by the remaining three of my logo boxes. The fewer boxes make it possible reorganize, but I haven't looked into that yet and the hats are also still a mess.
IMG_2871.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner