Show us your vintage home!

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by LolitaHaze, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I think they stopped work the night before and left it there - it happens regularly in this building. It is a union building, so rules / hours / etc. are strictly followed, so I guess, it was quitting time.

LizzieMaine likes this.
  2. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

Those Tonarc fault locators are still in current use. They are particularly helpful in finding problems in dry core cable. "Dry Core" is the original telephone cable technology, wires in twisted pairs, insulated with paper, protected from moisture with a sheathof lead tubing. This cable type was in general.use from the early '90s up until the 1980s. Many thousands of miles of it are yet in service. It has excellent transmission characteristics, better, in fact, than those of modern thermoplastic insulated cable, but is difficult and hence expensive to install and service. Old, leaky, cables may be kept dry by pressurizing them with nitrogen.

The "arc" in "Tonarc" comes from that little electric plug attachment. When a cord is affixed, the unit may be used to clear shorts in cables by burning them out.

Fading Fast and Big Man like this.
  3. Warden

Warden One Too Many

Fading Fast, Big Man and 3fingers like this.
  4. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

From time to time, I've posted some pics from our 1928 apartment house's basement, but coming out of the gym this morning, I thought I'd take and share some more. There's a lot of cool stuff down here (just remembered a neat door that I'll have to capture the next time I take some pics).
    IMG_5675.JPG IMG_5678.JPG IMG_5676.JPG IMG_5680.JPG

5. Daniel H

Daniel H New in Town

My grandmother, and her parents before her, lived in Rivermead Court, London. They purchased the flat in the late 30's/early 40's from their landlord who also sold to them all of the furnishings. When my grandmother moved out to a nursing home in 2005 I took my last visit to the flat that I had known all my life and snapped as many photos as I could, even taking a tape measure to document room sizes, trims, doors, windows, etc. The flat was still in its original condition. A singularly amazing experience for me. I was able to save most of the furnishings which I had shipped to the US and are now living another life with my family. I am typing this on my laptop sitting at their old writing desk. A few photos here. Not an easy place to shoot and the quality is poor but just thought I would share.
    And happy new year all. Cheers to another round of the 20's.

Attached Files:

dh66, David Conwill, Nobert and 3 others like this.
  6. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

Original 1954 push-button stove:

Attached Files:

Fading Fast and dh66 like this.