Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
DSCN0003.jpg

Gene, that's a beautiful home. I'm especially fond of all that greenery surrounding the house. By now I've seen quite a lot of photos taken in your backyard and always wondered what the rest might look like. Now I know. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
PistolPete1969 said:
I LOVE this thread!!!

My wife & I just bought our house. It was built in 1961, so not sure if strictly "vintage" or not. It came complete with a bright pink bathroom, blood-red shag carpet over hardwood in the living room and hallway, and 10 years of neglected yard. It is truly a labor of love.

Pics forthcoming.

Pete

Congrats on what sounds like a fabulous house! I can't wait to see pics; I love pink bathrooms (the Save the Pink Bathrooms site is a personal favorite of course!).

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Gene, that's a beautiful home. I'm especially fond of all that greenery surrounding the house. By now I've seen quite a lot of photos taken in your backyard and always wondered what the rest might look like. Now I know. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks, bro'. Nicki gets all the credit for being the 'green thumb' around here. Her gardens (English cottage style in front / tropical jungle style in back) were the hit of a Garden Tour here in our area last year. I'm the one you call in when you need something constructed, destructed, pulled, chopped or killed. All the growing things are her doing. :D

Mario

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Thanks, bro'. Nicki gets all the credit for being the 'green thumb' around here. Her gardens (English cottage style in front / tropical jungle style in back) were the hit of a Garden Tour here in our area last year. I'm the one you call in when you need something constructed, destructed, pulled, chopped or killed. All the growing things are her doing. :D

Never change a winning team! :D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's a detail of an 1879 panoramic map of the city quite clearly showing the same house. Some digging in the archives show it listed as far back as the city directories go, 1869.
House1873.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The house was owned by a William Lawson from c.1860 until his death on June 26th 1897. He was a commission merchant and co-owner of Lawson Harrington & Co., which operated on the commercial wharf on Upper Water St.

The house was cut up and rented out sometime in the late '30s or early 1940s. A 1942 record of it shows at least 10 people living there. In the late '50s through 1970s it was in the hands of the same family, with the parents living on one floor and the son and his wife living on the other.

swinggal

One Too Many
I can remember whether I've added my place or not. I used to own a 1927 Art Deco bungalow with my ex, but we had to sell it when we split. Was my pride and joy as we renovated it completely. Maybe I've posted that here before.

At the moment I rent an early 40s place which doesn't have extra details of my old place but still has a nice feel. Here are a few views of diff rooms. I don't like a lot of clutter and try to keep things pretty streamlined. I am a graphic designer, so balance to eye comes naturally...and is a curse sometimes. I need things to balance!!!

Lounge room - with my 30s buffet and an original Australian print of the movie poster of 'Magic Town'. I loved the arched mirror on the buffet. My gramaphone is hiding in the corner and the little shelf belonged to my great-great grandmother.

Buffet-1.jpg

gramaphone.jpg

STF_0140.jpg

Bad pic of my fireplace, Bogey poster and 30s style Egyptian souveneirs I got in Aswan (Egypt). My signed photo legendary Lindy Hopper - Frankie Manning has pride of place in the centre of the mantle.

fireplace.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Cigarette case collection - the 'Ronson Tuxedo' (green and black) from the 30s is my fav.

cigarettecasecollection.jpg

My TV cabinet is an old early 30s gentlemans wardrobe. I have the matching dresser too in the spare room and I had a removable shelf put in the wardrobe for the TV to sit on. It also houses all my cds an DVDs as I dont like having them in view....clutter.

wd2.jpg

Original family photos, some cigarette packets from the late 20s (found under my dads house) and my art deco lady lamp.

Photos-1.jpg

Not a good pic. Oh well. Wooden blinds, old trunk as my coffee table and Duke Ellington poster I got in Chicago.

STE_0139.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
Kitchen has the old wood-stove (not visible here and not used) and I love my 30s bakelite and aluminium cannisters.

IMG_0150.jpg

My 1920s lady rayon silkscreen, from Japan. She is smashing!!

fromJapan.jpg

Bedroom set - I have 2 of these solid jarrah, curved front 1930s wardrobes and the matching dresser with stool. Got the set, in pristine condition, from a thrift store for $250 AUD. Crazy as I have seen other really bad examples for $3000 upward!!! Lucky me!

wardrobes.jpg

Marla

A-List Customer
Thank you for sharing photos, Swinggal! I love your furniture, and the wardrobe in the last photo is divine!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"This was home between 1982-1989 "Baldovie" a small block of 4 Art Deco apartments built on the back of a large Grand home in West Perth, I was renting it for $55.00 per week, and would never have moved if it weren't sold and demolished, which forced me to buy my first home"

4694744387_29a418b6a6_b.jpg

Rather Rundown on the outside but well maintained internally, mine was the upstairs one with the window open

4695335822_15893002b5_b.jpg

"View looking down Colin grove to Colin Street

4695385578_a52edb8619_b.jpg

"Corner of my Sunny Sitting room"

4695445302_6dc5b879aa_b.jpg

4695378950_54cb904ba3_b.jpg

"No Separate dinning room, just an alcove, the cupboards were double sided and could be opened from the Kitchen side, which was very clever it aslo had built ins in the bedrooms"

4694744499_20572671a0_b.jpg

"The Collage was done by myself, I need something "Cheap and Cheerfull, I still have the Lounge Suite and the Cocktail Cabinet, I have a different dinning setting now, I sold that one to a friend so still get to sit on my old chair at her dinner Parties""

"Twenty something with a Hangover on any Sunday Afternoon!"

4695479982_3ff5606b63_b.jpg

4695335344_51e2fec5fd_b.jpg

"Then it was sold and developers moved in"

4694700991_9ae8ba455d_b.jpg

"I quite often have dreams that I am walking down the street and its still there and I move back in"

swinggal

One Too Many
I remember that block of units Binkie. Sad that so many have gone :( There are some great ones on Walcott Street thankfully still. The 70s and 80s were a terrible time for destruction in Perth.

I have my own Facebook group with about 6,500 members dedicated to just this sort of thing called "Beautiful Buildings and places that Perth has lost". have a look sometime. I am being encouraged to produce a book based on the page which I am looking into :)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129206433137&ref=ts

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"You have some amazing photos, 11 Colin Street, West Perth, one of the last "Character" Apartment Blocks seems to be safe, it has been renovated and Strata Titled, although a developer could offer to buy everyone out!, I had a Studio in the oddfellows building, in St Georges Tce, it was next to "Arbordale" Flats" which you can see the edge of, there were some Classic aprtments on the opposite side of St Georges tce called "Bishops Grove" They were about four blocks of four flats in a classical thirties sort of "Regency" lots of pillars and gables"

4697151833_c4a2694d7b_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21