Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
That is very impressive. I love the vintage nicknacks that she has lying around. Like the suitcases, typewriter, the collar-box on the shelf.

I wish there were more pictures, though. I reckon its' a very interesting story.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My realtor, is trying to get me to buy this remodeled 40s house. Just not into the modern look. Big lot though.
1443324-19_zps7e91cbfb.jpg
1443324-1_zps0328e839.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That yard may be big but you have no privacy there too. I like big fences. :p Yes, it was fast because ugly is easy to find I suppose. :p That had better be REAL cheap.:p
The way I gage an old house is, will I smile every time I round the corner and see it! Then it is a home. I think I will pass on this one!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, this is one you round a corner and laugh. :p
James, you will get a kick out of this! I went back to look at it one more time today. The little upper deck over looks a golf course, while we were standing on the side street, you guessed it, a golf ball come sailing over the fence and almost hit my truck. I guess every year, instead of cleaning the gutters for leaves, you instead, clean out the golf balls! Incidentally, I am not buying the shack.

James, you will get a kick out of this! I went back to look at it one more time today. The little upper deck over looks a golf course, while we were standing on the side street, you guessed it, a golf ball come sailing over the fence and almost hit my truck. I guess every year, instead of cleaning the gutters for leaves, you instead, clean out the golf balls! Incidentally, I am not buying the shack.

I bet you thought about what I was going to say when that happened. lol lol lol
I would have asked the realtor what the seller was willing to GIVE me to take it off his hands. That ball would just tear it for me. Yeah just what I need there dude---golf ball dents in my cars, holes through my windows and dings on my house. Uh, no thanks Mr. Realtor. I don't care how much extra commission the seller is willing to give you. No WAY! :eeek::eusa_doh:
Then again. You could stand on the deck and drive balls onto the golf course in retaliation or just to practice your swing. :p

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's something that may be of interest to you concerning my "vintage home." My house was built in 1907. My grandparents bought the house in 1917, and the family has lived there ever since. In 1930 my grandfather, W.F. Brown, Sr., added electricity to the house (that was the first year it was available in this area). Here is his first power bill, covering the period 9 May 1930 to 16 June 1930. What a difference there must have been between the night of 8 May when they were using kerosene lamps (which, by the way we still have here at the house) and the night of 9 May when all they had to do for light was flip a switch.

Here's something that may be of interest to you concerning my "vintage home." My house was built in 1907. My grandparents bought the house in 1917, and the family has lived there ever since. In 1930 my grandfather, W.F. Brown, Sr., added electricity to the house (that was the first year it was available in this area). Here is his first power bill, covering the period 9 May 1930 to 16 June 1930. What a difference there must have been between the night of 8 May when they were using kerosene lamps (which, by the way we still have here at the house) and the night of 9 May when all they had to do for light was flip a switch.

$2?! I'll trade you. :p

Big Man

$2?! I'll trade you. :p

In 1930 my Grandfather was working at the McDowell Hardware Company. He was making about $1.00 per day (that was a 10 hour work day, by the way). Given that wage, he had to work a little over two days to pay that power bill. I don't know what kind job you have or what you make, but I'd venture a guess that you don't have to spend over two days (gross) wages on a power bill. [huh]

Big Man

Here's the 1927 property tax bill for the house I live in today. I probably shouldn't complain too much about my taxes being too high these days. According to my Grandfather's McDowell County tax bill for the year 1927, the tax rate was $1.48 per $100.00 valuation. Considering he was making about $1.00 a day working at McDowell Hardware at the time, a tax bill of $42.56 was a big price to pay relative to what he was earning (and he had a good job, too).

Here's the 1927 property tax bill for the house I live in today. I probably shouldn't complain too much about my taxes being too high these days. According to my Grandfather's McDowell County tax bill for the year 1927, the tax rate was $1.48 per $100.00 valuation. Considering he was making about $1.00 a day working at McDowell Hardware at the time, a tax bill of $42.56 was a big price to pay relative to what he was earning (and he had a good job, too).

Geez, that was a rip off! No Proposition 13 there then. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Funny how people don't mention these things when talking about the good old days. My property tax is less then one weeks pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner