Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your 'vintage inspired' suits ....

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Cheers gents. I sent him a pair of trousers to copy (his copy was better than the original!!!). And he worked from an old, knackered double breasted jacket. It was all done by email and post! He really has to take the credit for making it look so central European.

Considering that Quirel is a self-taught, home tailor, the result is very good.

I'm always happy to encourage small scale producers!

The clothing that he, Nick D, and HBK make always blow me away, but seeing a full suit really sends me. Quirel really did a great job!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The clothing that he, Nick D, and HBK make always blow me away, but seeing a full suit really sends me. Quirel really did a great job!

Absolutely. I'd love to have those skills. We could all work hard, for hour-after-hour, but you need a steady hand and plenty of patience. I don't have that patience. I wish I did.

GBR

One of the Regulars
TT

You have some excellent suits which fit so well.

Have you carried the detail right through - one inside breast pocket, a ticket pocket, button fly and fob pocket - one back pocket optional or do you follow modern ways?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
TT that is a smashing suit! What some of the Loungers can make always amazes me.

I've posted photos of this one before, but not in this thread oddly...

Back in 2011 I had my tailor make this three piece POW suit for me. I've been using Vaish at Rivoli in New Delhi, India since 2009. http://www.vaish.com/
They are one of the oldest tailors in India, making suits since 1940 with two generations Saville Row trailed (Diege and Skinner). They can do true bespoke, full canvased etc.

Here is an old thread when I first went to them, I've learned a great deal since then: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?42493-First-Bespoke-Experience

The jacket is a direct copy of a 1935 belted, action back tweed sportcoat I got from Resortes a few years back. The waistcoat and trousers are copies of ones from a 1954 Austin Reed three piece that fit me very well. 12 oz Holland and Sherry POW fabric and I had an extra set of trousers done up as well.

401993305.jpg

401993307.jpg

401993310.jpg

The original jacket:
400939398.jpg

400939399.jpg

The original waistcoat and trousers:
385994499.jpg

New flannel trousers off the same pattern:
397965460.jpg

New buff doeskin waistcoat of the same pattern:
399552293.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Great stuff Chasseur.
The Grey checked sport-suit is wonderful.

GBR, althought TT will certainly give the details, I just want to point out that his suit is oriented towards Continental European styles (i.e. bellied lapels and suspender straps). Two inside pockets were standard on Continental suits.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
TT

You have some excellent suits which fit so well.

Have you carried the detail right through - one inside breast pocket, a ticket pocket, button fly and fob pocket - one back pocket optional or do you follow modern ways?

The earlier posts in this thread (apart from the two more recent suits) are suits that were made for me between 1991 and 1995 - to be honest I don't think I had a clue about interior pocket placement at the time. I'll have to check.

I've always found the notion of the interior pocket being on the right hand side of a British jacket. Since the majority of us are right handed, it would make more sense to have the pocket on the left so we can reach in naturally with the leading hand. Also, I prefer to have the wallet in the left interior pocket so that it is beneath where the pocket handkerchief sits. That way, if the wallet is full (I'd be so lucky) or the jacket a bit tight (more likely) it doesn't show an unsightly bulge.

GBR

One of the Regulars
The earlier posts in this thread (apart from the two more recent suits) are suits that were made for me between 1991 and 1995 - to be honest I don't think I had a clue about interior pocket placement at the time. I'll have to check.

I've always found the notion of the interior pocket being on the right hand side of a British jacket. Since the majority of us are right handed, it would make more sense to have the pocket on the left so we can reach in naturally with the leading hand. Also, I prefer to have the wallet in the left interior pocket so that it is beneath where the pocket handkerchief sits. That way, if the wallet is full (I'd be so lucky) or the jacket a bit tight (more likely) it doesn't show an unsightly bulge.

Yes, I understand your thoughts on this. I am trying to decide what to do next, strictly follow the ways of the 1950s for interest or adapt. Do you have back or fob pockets in the trousers?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vaish did a briliant job with your suit Chasseur. Added to that is you really know how to wear it, too, just to set it off right with complementing shoes, tie and hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner