Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Finally made a cap to match my favorite pink coat! More here http://hometownvictorygirls.blogspot.com/2011/11/1940s-tie-on-knit-cap.html
peptocap.jpg
I love those little caps! I just made a candycane red and white stripe one, and I'm in love with it. I'm almost excited about it getting cold. Yours appears to have far less mistakes though. Great job.

And I love the way it looks with your hair.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
DSC02610.JPG
DSC02646.JPG

It's not my work, but my mother's. The red cardigan is made from Donegal tweed from Debbie Bliss, and the vest from some rough Shetland wool, dark green with lime flecks.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Man's 1930s sports jumper for my boyfriend. I knitted it in moss stitch instead of plain stocking stitch and changed the front to a placket opening for the zipper rather than opening all the way down to the ribbing. It has a vintage brass 'Lightning' zipper and vintage leather buttons.
It is meant to be worn bloused up rather than pulled straight down like this but I wanted to show the details.

044.jpg

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
^What a lucky chap to have such a lovely windcheater knitted for him. I like the Pocket flap shaping and the colour is grand! Will look great with grey or brown flannels ... well anything really.:)
I too would have done moss stitch rather than stocking stitch as I always get worked up when doing st st!
---------------------------------

Heres one of my latest. Please excuse the funny pic- it was taken especially for my blog!
GEDC5082.JPG

T x

Marzena

One of the Regulars
DSC02610.JPG
DSC02646.JPG

It's not my work, but my mother's. The red cardigan is made from Donegal tweed from Debbie Bliss, and the vest from some rough Shetland wool, dark green with lime flecks.

I have complimented the green jersey on another thread but the red I would kill for! (be thankful for the sea between us...)

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Miss Sis, Tupps, great work!

Thank you those who commented on my previous entry. My mother is however rather unhappy with the result, and wants to rework it at some point, s it turned out a lot bigger than it was supposed too. Luckily, the other stuff she made for me came out great, and I will share some photos shortly.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
DSC02749.JPG

DSC02746.JPG

I have posted these in the ""what are you wearing today thread" just now, but I know that a lot of you don't venture much outside the Powder Room, so I thought I'd do a repeat.
Yet another one of the projects that came to life due to mother, a little polo top knitted in mohair.

Was inspired by this
338852703_o.jpg

Came out bulkier due to the yarn - not only is it mohair, but not one of the finest either. I like it though, it's so much fun!
Tomb boy fun in a skirt, rather than graceful lady on the golf course, but that is were the "aspiration", rather than inspiration, remains unfulfilled.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
DSC02746.JPG

I have posted these in the ""what are you wearing today thread" just now, but I know that a lot of you don't venture much outside the Powder Room, so I thought I'd do a repeat.
Yet another one of the projects that came to life due to mother, a little polo top knitted in mohair.

Was inspired by this

Came out bulkier due to the yarn - not only is it mohair, but not one of the finest either. I like it though, it's so much fun!
Tomb boy fun in a skirt, rather than graceful lady on the golf course, but that is were the "aspiration", rather than inspiration, remains unfulfilled.

I love it - very cute! And I LOVE the skirt. Did you make that also? Now I'm itching to get some yarn for a skirt like that...

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Thanks Clabbergirl!
That wool came from my grandma's sheep! All processed "in house" so to speak :), with the knitting part done by my mother. I've had the skirt for more than 10 years now, she made it for me when I was a student (it's a bit long for this look, at the time my wardrobe wasn't necessarily vintage inspired). The wool has not been died, it still has the natural colour, and therefore not perfect, you can see in places slight gray streaks to do with natural colour variance that would have occurred in the sheep's coat.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
DSC02709.JPG
DSC02718.JPG
DSC02712.JPG

This is the last and my favourite of this knitting lot. A 3 piece ensemble - of which you're seeing only 2 -made from a wonderful yarn (75% wool, 25% silk) that has a great texture, an uncanny sheep smell (yep I'm weird, I like stuff like that :)), and mother loved knitting with it!
The third piece, a short sleeve sporty top not shown here, is the one that actually started it all, then inspiration flew in, and before I knew it I ended up with a set.
It's great when things turn up so well and without an insane amount of stress - usually I go to great pains to plan things carefully and they still go pear shaped. Not this time though!

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Very nice, Miss T.! The lavender color looks wonderful on you (and it's my fave color!) Do you have a close up of the buttons? I can't tell if they have a design on them or if that's the button holes I'm seeing.

swinggal

One Too Many
I really want to learn to knit but I have no idea how or where I could go to gain these skills. :( I could knit the boring old plain stitch when I was a kid, but thats it.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
I really want to learn to knit but I have no idea how or where I could go to gain these skills. :( I could knit the boring old plain stitch when I was a kid, but thats it.

There are lots of books out there that break down the stitches, I know my mother has one that has all sorts of information about crocheting and knitting, unfortunately I can't remember who published it, just that it is a big hardcover book that I think is out of print now. However when I'm stuck on a stitch I can't remember I go to anniesattic.com. They are a publisher of many craft patterns but on their website have a wealth of knowledge about how to do knitting and crocheting. I highly recommend it!

ColeV48

Familiar Face
Oh, Miss Tuppence, that's lovely! And just the perfect buttons, too. That's it, back to the knitting shop on Monday to get the skein I need to finish my sweater.

SourdoughSally

New in Town
Wow, beautiful knittings here. I'm impressed at the level at which you knit. :)

Ms. Tuppence, how long did it take you to knit such beautiful tops? The stitching pattern took a lot of counting.

Ms. Kamikat, that was an ambitious undertaking for your first piece of work. Looks great.

Ms. Crazydaisy, You're lucky to have Mum who is such a talented knitter. The outfits look great on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy