Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Inky

One Too Many
Thanks CherryRed! I look forward to seeing your sweater. I have waaay too much yarn to justify buying anything new and this is my "make do" year, so I have to use what's on hand.

I think I will give it a go today and swatch to gauge and start with a sleeve to be sure before I commit to the front and back :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss Sis said:
Just finished my new jumper this afternoon.

From this:

March1936Jumper.jpg

I made this:

Redjumper.jpg

Unlike the photo, it is bright fire engine red. The pattern is from my March 1936 Stitchcraft magazine. I haven't pressed it yet so that might make the collar sit down more.

The thing that interested me about this pattern is firstly, that it is descibed as 'casual chic' for beginner knitters and secondly that it is knitted with the equivalent of a modern double knit wool instead of a 3 or 4 ply. It was pretty quick to knit although I had to reknit the front after accidently doing it the first time on the wrong size needles! I also had to knit the body and sleeves longer and I'm very glad I did or it would be too short for me as it is a very snug fit.

Just in time for the warmer weather..... lol

Oh, that's so lovely! I love the color! I makes me more motivated the blouse pattern I've been drudging through!

Inky said:
Thanks CherryRed! I look forward to seeing your sweater. I have waaay too much yarn to justify buying anything new and this is my "make do" year, so I have to use what's on hand.

I think I will give it a go today and swatch to gauge and start with a sleeve to be sure before I commit to the front and back :)

Just curious, what size needles does that sweater use?

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Has anyone checked out the Berroco yarn website for free patterns? They have a erally nice selection. I'm thinking of knitting this cardigan from a free pattern. I think it has a nice vintage look to it. What do you think?

abrianna_op.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
That will work up a little faster then mine. I'm using a 2 with fingering weight. I think the ribbing slows me down a bit too. Good luck with it!

Thanks! I plan to swatch today at lunch :)

This is the one I swatched for yesterday - doubled fingering weight wool/silk hand dyed in a pink colorway (not my favorite, but it was a gift), size 6, should work up nicely.

SetOffSummerFrocks_crop_medium.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Oh, that's so lovely! I love the color! I makes me more motivated the blouse pattern I've been drudging through!

Ugh, don't! I have another 'on the needles' that isn't going right and one I'm sewing up that I have been making for so long I don't even know if I LIKE it anymore.

But thanks, Ladies, for the kind comments.

Inky, the jumper you wonder if you could knit the sleeves longer, I'd say to just above the elbow would be fine and in keeping with the period of the original pattern. Knitters are always changing patterns to suit them so go for it if you'd prefer it that way.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Ladies, I need some advice: My mom has found a bunch of raspberry-red, soft, fuzzy yarn in a thrift store, and we aren't sure what it is exactly. She wants to knit something for me and I want a versatile 30's sweater and matching beret.

I've found a lot of photos of sweaters I like that I'm going to show her, she can copy it, but I was just wondering if there is something that's definitely not suitable to knit in a fuzzy yarn? What types of blouses would mostly be made of fuzzy yarn?

I'm sorry but I forgot to take a photo of the yarn, but the fuzzyness is kinda like this:

pink-fuzzy-three-quarter-view.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
Laura, how's that sweater coming along?

I love this thread, I want to learn to knit or crochet but I'm not sure if I need another hobby. :p

Rhian

New in Town
Laura Chase: You should be able to do a burn test on the yarn to see what it's made of. If it's fuzzy then it's probably acrylic, angora or mohair. Acrylic and synthetic fibres will melt and smell like plastic when burned (you may want to conduct this experiment outside!) whereas animal fibres just burn and smell like burnt hair. There's a fuller explanation of burn test results here.

I've seen people make scarves, jumpers, blouses, cardigans, and hats out of fuzzy yarn (didn't Ed Wood have a lovely pink angora jumper?) so I think it's up to you. Openwork lace blouses can be lovely when worked in a fluffy yarn, e.g. this cardigan. I don't have any particular vintage references to hand, but am sure I've seen at least one vintage pattern for an angora jumper.

I think the main thing you should be prepared for with this type of yarn is the prospect of shedding! :)

Parfait

New in Town
I so wish I could knit, someone taught me a few years ago and I made two scarves, but I never learned to cast off! Now it seems I have forgotten almost everything, hopefully I will try to pick it back up again soon. (I find all these darling baby knit patterns, ah!)

The knit sailor sweater that was posted a few pages above is -amazing-, I love it!

I hope this link will be helpful for someone, I came across it while looking at my daily craft blogs and thought of the ladies here!

Knitting Vintage Tutorial Series;
http://retroknit.net/blog/?page_id=199

Lorena B

Practically Family
Well. as for myself, i have taken the resolution of learn knitting and crochet this summer as i am spending time with my mother.

It should be fun and i cant wait to make my first something!!

50sGal

New in Town
Oh dear! I hit send instead of preview! These cute knits above(!!) where actually knitted by my mother in law as I cannot knit, apart from squares.
They wear taken from a 1940s pattern which i do have floating around somewhere!
Excuse the hair/face...bad head day!!!

SayCici

Practically Family
50sGal said:
SOOOO CUUUUTE, I'm dying. I wish I knew someone who knit so I could force.. ask them nicely.. to make stuff for me. I've been dreaming of a green weskit and I want it to come to fruition, wah.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I made these for my military man from a historic pattern:

WWISoldierssocks.jpg

WWI Soldier's Socks!

I made the leg long to keep him warm, and in Worsted weight to fit inside his boots. I then proceeded to make myself a (pink, stripy) pair, and I just love them. :D

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The last jumper I made, a 1930s one in pistachio cotton with vintage glass buttons. This is close up so you can see the details:

088.jpg

from this pattern:

SteppedJumper.jpg

(I want that telephone!)

Here it is being worn:

089.jpg

I'm afraid the pics are a bit blurry. The jumper came out slightly big because I forgot to allow for the cotton yarn stretching more than wool when I did the tension. Still, it's very comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo