Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I agree for the most part. Some patterns I've gotten have been super delicate and nearly flake off when you try to unfold them. Mostly due to very bad storage. But if a pattern was in that bad of shape I wouldn't buy it anyways. It's just that it does take time to go through patterns and it is kind of a pain in the butt. And I think a lot of people have no idea how much old patterns are worth or that there's even a market for them, or else they actually would go through them.
I have bid on patterns that weren't checked. Most of the time they're there, sometimes they're not- but if I bid on a pattern that might be missing pieces I make sure it's something stellar that I wouldn't mind having to redraft off the back if something's missing. When I first got into buying patterns pretty much no one would check for pieces. Now it's almost required! But the prices are at least 4x (and sometimes at least 10x!) as much, too.
I recently bought a pattern that they said was in FF and it was NOT and was altered. But I wanted it so made do. But I also bought some great NRA patterns that they said they didn't check but I could tell they were probably FF and they were :) It's just kind of a gamble, just like most online purchases of vintage things.
Best bet just to buy patterns that are checked and complete.

I totally know what you mean. Ive run across some patterns that were so brittle they broke in my hands too. But for the vast amount of sellers who say that, then price this 'rare' pattern at $50 to start...come on, I want to know if all the pieces are there.

I guess I left that part out of my little rant. If a seller is gonna say 'the pattern is too delicate to check the pieces' then dont start the listing at $50. Not only is that a cop out of knowing what they are selling, its also a price gouge as they try to milk the market as it is right now.

Grrrr.....

LD

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I want to practice sewing first as I have no skills whatsoever!

I am scared to cut it out though as it has survived all this time and now I want to chop it up.

You shouldn't have to cut it out as it is only one size. And there is great info in the sewing thread about tracing the pattern first. I trace all my patterns because I can manhandle them and alter them much more easily after doing so.

Drappa

One Too Many
7c2f_35.jpg

Drappa

One Too Many
Drappa- I love that cape I just saw a really nice post on someones blog about a cape they had made it looked so stylish but I can't remember what the blog was.

I saw some posts on Blooming Leopold a while ago, they were great.
I have wanted a cape for years, but there is always something about the ones I find that isn't right, ie. colour, shape or fit. I have one, but it's pretty short and not that warm. I got outbid on two other ones, but then found this one after I lost an identical one and am so excited!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Lovely, DPD!

I got this one :) I wish the fabric and accessories came in the envelope for the outfit on the left. I want that exact outfit!
pictorial8519.jpg

Drappa

One Too Many
Great pattern, and I often wish that, too. Once in a while I see patterns on Ebay with the fabric already cut out and pinned, and wonder what happened that the maker didn't finish it.
I got this one :) I wish the fabric and accessories came in the envelope for the outfit on the left. I want that exact outfit!
pictorial8519.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy