Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:
That's nice! I wear a 20/22. ImOldFashioned wanna mud wrestle for it? :D
Looks like it's yours. Just send me a padded envelope with a couple of stamps and I'll send it to you. Check your box for my addy.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I cannot beleive ....

That I had -no- competition for this on ebay.......were you all sleeping today? *grins*....gotten for a total steal of under 10 dollars including shipping.

1190335128_0.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Well, I was outbid for my dream dress. It's now up to 30 and still 15 hours until it ends. I haven't decided if it's worth more than $30.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I recently purchased a 40's nightgown pattern. While I LOVE it, I'm having a problem with it. It's shattering as I touch it. Normally, I trace out my vintage patterns onto muslin and use the muslin for my actual pattern. This pattern is falling apart in my attempts to unfold it. What is the most gentle way to copy this, then preserve it?

ShortClara

One Too Many
OK, I am jumping in. I have purchased my first vintage pattern! I'm so excited - it's adorable, and I love the diamond detail with the button :)

5b64_1.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
kamikat said:
I recently purchased a 40's nightgown pattern. While I LOVE it, I'm having a problem with it. It's shattering as I touch it. Normally, I trace out my vintage patterns onto muslin and use the muslin for my actual pattern. This pattern is falling apart in my attempts to unfold it. What is the most gentle way to copy this, then preserve it?

It may be too late for that one :(
I know preservation places have some sort of magic spray that extends the elasticity of papers and such, but I think that may be beyond our realm. Aww...cant you go by the picture of the gown?

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
It may be too late for that one :(
I know preservation places have some sort of magic spray that extends the elasticity of papers and such, but I think that may be beyond our realm. Aww...cant you go by the picture of the gown?

LD

Here's an update: I managed to get it unfolded with only tears at the fold lines. I then taped the fold lines and was able to trace it. I've asked a friend, who sells for one of those scrapbooking companies, to come up with ideas to save it. Right now, all the pattern pieces are laying on a table because I'm afraid to touch them anymore. She initially suggested that I laminate it. I probably could have gone by the line drawing of the pattern pieces, but since I've lost so much weight, I no longer have confidence in my ability to draft patterns that fit me. I've had to re-learn how to fit in the last month or so.

ShortClara

One Too Many
kamikat said:
...but since I've lost so much weight, I no longer have confidence in my ability to draft patterns that fit me. I've had to re-learn how to fit in the last month or so.

Quality problem! Congrats on your loss and I'm sure you'll re-learn yourself with no problem!

ShortClara

One Too Many
I had an adventure today! I set out to a new fabric store today - Bargain Yardage. I get there- it's slightly bigger than a walk-in closet. And old man, the proprietor Robbi, and I are the only two in the shop. I walk around, and the fabric I love isn't enough to make the dress I want. I get it anyway because it's a cool atomic windowpane print in orange and creams. And it's $4. Everything is $1-5 a yard.

Then I spy a box filled with vintage metal zippers, down on the bottom shelf in a corner. I had been fantasizing about finding metal zippers to put in dresses - that there they were! Mostly loud colors (maybe why they didn't sell in the 50s?) but I got a bunch for $.50 each just because! I'll put one into the circle skirt I make with the atomic fabric. Then, I dive into the old button boxes, coming away with some really cute ones.

I told him I'd pass along his info. It's Bargain Yardage in Van Nuys, CA - 14413 Burbank Blvd.

Fun day :)

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Vintage Sewing Info

Good morning ladies!

I found two wonderful sewing related things yesterday and had to pass them both on;

First VOGUE has released two NEW Vintage patterns for the fall/winter season
Pattern Numbers are V1011 and V1019. One is a beautiful dress and the other is a fantastic suit. I can't get to photobucket to post pics, sorry about that.

Second, I stumbled across this http://www.vintagesewing.infoIt's wonderful! Someone has put up digital copies of dress making and millinery books from the 1900s-1950s.

I spent a lot of time last night reading and drooling!

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
Thanks but I see that most of the information is regarding 40's dress patterns and I specifically need 20's if at all possible. I'll read through the thread but I was also hoping to get information on fabric as well. Perhaps I should post a separate enquiry about fabric?

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
Thanks Kamikat and Lady Day - I had a look through the thread and there were a couple of good suggested links - Decades of Style and the Vintage Pattern Lending Library are two which I'll dig deeper into. I do remeber Folkwear patterns and another place called Campbells from over 10 years ago and it's nice to see Folkwear still going. I'll certainly check these out too. Regarding fabric - you two ladies seem to be the big noise in town when it comes to patterns and sewing so have you any sighting of good quality fabrics for halloween? I can get an amazing web lace with bugle beads here in the UK but only in white - not very vampy. I've got a year to make this outfit so at least I've got time to hunt for something special. Your comments would be most welcome! All best regards,
Pandora

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Try her full name:

Josephine said:
Is there a specific line I could search for on the Simplicity site? I typed retro into their search engine and came up with a few patterns, but...

Theresa LaQuey

http://theresalaquey.com is her site but it seems to be under construction.
But one of her patterns I love is a bias, halter-top evening gown with a fur and fabric scarf wrap, it's Simplicity Retro #8817. But for some reason, when you search that number, you get a lot of doll clothes patterns! I guess Simplicity re-uses their numbers. I am reading it off the package, so I know I got it right...

Here's a pic of me in it singing at the Ahwahnee, not the best shot of the scarf wrap but a swell one of the dress itself.
l_7f1aba4079137b65f037c45117b568c6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou