Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Vintage Rucksacks!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I see what you mean, BT. That's good becasue I was thinking that I could use the extra leather bits to modify the pack somewhat. I really like the classic look, but I'd like to update a couple things, such as sewing in some pen slots either inside the bag or inside one of the pockets, and maybe some other ways to organize gear inside the main pocket. I'm also thinking baout adding some quick release buckles. I know! Sacrilege! But I'd only do it if I can conceal them behind the existing straps, so that the buckle still functions but the strap can also be unfastened using the quick release. I'll have to see how much I can do after the bag arrives.

I've basically gotten to the point where I am sure I'll never find everything I want in a pack, so the only alternative is to make what I want. This one seems like a good departure point! It's cheap enough ($30) that I was thinking of getting a second one to cannabalize both leather and canvas for additional pockets, dividers, and buckle attachments. if it works out I may be re-working this pack like Oscar Goldman rebuilt Steve Austin!

Doug C

Practically Family
I gotta say I really like that Finnish army blanket, that's a nice touch. It doesn't seem too awfully big, I bought a vintage Swiss army blanket for this very purpose but it's too large and heavy to incorporate into a small pack like these..shame too 'cause I dig the color and white cross on red background. Your set up is sweat!

Doug C

Rooster

Practically Family
Doug C said:
I gotta say I really like that Finnish army blanket, that's a nice touch. It doesn't seem too awfully big, I bought a vintage Swiss army blanket for this very purpose but it's too large and heavy to incorporate into a small pack like these..shame too 'cause I dig the color and white cross on red background. Your set up is sweat!

Doug C
I'm glad you like it! Here's one in action.
tagebuch1.jpg
[/IMG]
And, here's a picture of the russina sack in action.
327_big.jpg
[/IMG]

JeffOYB

Vendor
Hey there! It's been awhile. BellyTank was kind enough to try to combine both my old rucksack thread and this one. Neat pics!

Here's a link to the several vintage luggage/pack goodies that I resell:

http://outyourbackdoor.com/list_articles.php?catid=31

I'm basically just repurposing various mil-sup items.

The 5-Way "OYB Normal" (say it loud say it proud) Bag has several modifications and 3 extra small straps that I include to let it be strapped anywhere on a bicycle.

The big rucksack has a frame. The small doesn't. I prefer the small for everyday use.

I like those pics of the sacks with the 2 rear pockets---I think I saw them in the movie "Spy Kids" and was wondering what they were. It's funny when I see cool vintage stuff that I want in a movie---good fun trying to track it down. BellyTanks pics are the best lead yet! : )

Here's a pic of the straps-side of the sm. rucksack---this "Y-Frame" stuff is kinda complex and probably is best illustrated by an...illustration. With arrows and such. Actually, maybe I already posted this pic in the other thread. I still don't totally understand it all. I know it relates to a belt. How to make it work great for casual street-use? (I think I added the blue lines to show leather attachment points):

swiss.rucksack.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
*** Newly edited for your convenience and delight! Re: the Y-Strap configuration...

-as long as there are useful attachment points on the'sack, there is no problem
altering the Y-Strap system. Remove the superfluous straps.

Although- I do have a Bergen style Rucksack (with frame), with a normal strap configuration, which has extensions at the front-
Something to hang onto..?

Pics to follow... when I can find the camera...

Here we go...

DSCN3595.jpg

This is the one with extra straps- something to hold onto as you hike with a heavy load...?

DSCN3596.jpg

Such a shame to waste such beautiful leather- I'm gonna use it!

B
T

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
JeffOYB said:
Here's a pic of the straps-side of the sm. rucksack---this "Y-Frame" stuff is kinda complex and probably is best illustrated by an...illustration. With arrows and such. Actually, maybe I already posted this pic in the other thread. I still don't totally understand it all. I know it relates to a belt. How to make it work great for casual street-use? (I think I added the blue lines to show leather attachment points):

Well, the single back hook goes to the rear of your equipment belt. The two front hooks likely hook to the D-rings on your ammo pouches. The two loose straps on the front hook back under your arms to your rucksack.

JeffOYB

Vendor
Here's a pic of a way I've repurposed some old mil-sup shoulderbags. I modify em and am selling them as what I call "OYB Normal Bags." : ) Say it out loud. Kinda corny, but whatever. I also call them "5-Way Bags"---they're the only bags that can be used 5 different ways: shoulderbag, backpack, bike saddlebag, bike barbag, bike pannier. The pic shows 3 of the uses.

But I've hit a snag: they aren't big enough to stuff a sleeping bag or tent into. I want to find a wider mil-sup shoulderbag that could be repurposed to do that and turn into rear-rack bike panniers to hold those bigger items. I'm thinking that a fairly standard shoulderbag could do it. 15"x11"x6", say. I prefer something with leather'n'canvas. It needs two d-rings at the top, spread a ways apart and two d-rings at the bottom, closer together. --So the bag can be hooked to a rear bike rack. A bag with a removable shoulderstrap and waiststrap---like the small bag I'm using, only wider. Any ideas? Whoever finds it gets a free one! : )

trek.bags.sm.jpg

Doug C

Practically Family
I've really been considering getting a Duluth Wanderer because of it's vintage look.. I love the 3 outside pocket but there are a couple thing I wish were different, like I'd prefer regular old fashioned tan leather (why do the new manuf. not use this style any more) and I wish there was leather at the bottom also I'd rather not spend so much money on a backpack. Any close alternatives in something vintage?
http://cgi.ebay.com/WANDERER-by-Dul...ryZ52358QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Doug C

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Here is a pic of my Russian early-war rucksack. Production of these was phased out pretty quickly during the war, since the meshok (as depicted earlier in this thread) was far simpler and more efficient to produce. The early war rucksack is roughly the same size and layout as a WWII German rucksack, and the early-war Russian equipage also used a Y-strap-type suspender system although these were not required to use the rucksack.

rucksack.jpg

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
picked up a slick paratrooper musette pack off the bay, dated 1945, Atlantic Products Corps. OD Green, U.S. inked on the front, has the regular musty canvas smell, but i could care less...i use it for a book bag at college, and im probably the only one...with my grandpas USN Seabees pin and a Army Air Corps wing/prop pin on the front shovel flap...coolest bag around...

also got a 1944 OD Green duffel bag...great bag...use it for everything...love the old stuff...where else can u get a bag(s) that still holds its ground after 60 years?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Same here, I have a named musettebag (101 AB) that my father bought at a fleemarket in Belgium years and years ago. My son has used it as his bookbag at college. Coole.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
Same here, I have a named musettebag (101 AB) that my father bought at a fleemarket in Belgium years and years ago. My son has used it as his bookbag at college. Coole.

YES! im not the only one :D

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Vladimir Berkov said:
Well, the single back hook goes to the rear of your equipment belt. The two front hooks likely hook to the D-rings on your ammo pouches. The two loose straps on the front hook back under your arms to your rucksack.

Rather like the 1937 Pattern British pack system.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
-
Although- I do have a Bergen style Rucksack (with frame), with a normal strap configuration, which has extensions at the front-
Something to hang onto..?

B
T

BT

I have a Norwegian civilian Bergen (i.e. made by Bergen) large pack (like a British 1944 Pattern 'Commando' Large Pack) in good (but dusty) that needs a good home. PM me if you're interested.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner