Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Vintage Rucksacks!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes, of course.
These ideas must become planted in my mind whilst skim-reading.
Regurgitated verbatim, as questions.
Regurgitated verbatim sounds like nasty stuff... äckligt.

Subliminal un-learning.
Blimmin subliminal.

Good stuff, then... the Hemp.

B
T

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Sorry to interrupt your jam session boys.

Anyone know what's happening with Frost River? I've read various accounts on other forums re their current situation and impending financial rescue etc but their website is gone which doesn't look too clever.

I always hesitated with FR due to the silly drawings of their prodcuts but when I saw the real thing I was very impressed. I like Duluth but the "brown-ness" of FR and detailing were/ are great.

Does anyone have an up to date progress report or know whether they will return to the fray? What a shame if not.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
The Bergan's link is fabulous. I'd love to find a 1970's era Telemark or Janoy model. I know, it's not golden era, yada, yada, yada.

I am saddened to hear Frost River is no longer in business. I was in the Frost River store in Duluth over the summer, but have not been back since and had not realized they were gone. Hopefully they can raise some capital and get back into business.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I've just been given a 1934-looking Bergans rygsaek in overall good condition. I've been looking for one for a while. Photos to follow if I can find my camera charger.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
You wanna take it outside..?

B
T

I'll take this one anywhere. I used it on Sunday, just after taking possession. It's light and well balanced, and it's already my favourite backpack. The straps feel strong, but we'll see how they bear up. The leather's incredibly soft and pliable, unlike the thick, heavy hide of the Swiss army 'salt and pepper' rucks.

I don't use my Swedish one so much because the leather straps are too shiny and slip and slide over my shoulders.

For my purposes, it's got to be Swiss salt 'n' pepper or Bergans 1930s finest.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Yes, please move this thread to the Great Outdoors and please post pics of the Bergan.

Edit: Wonderful! Thanks Messrs. Bartenders!
M.M.

grundie

One of the Regulars
I found this in an army surplus store near Omagh at the weekend. It's definitely old, but how old is hard to determine. The shopkeep says it is from the Swedish army, but I have my doubts. The only marking on the is a single rubber stamp inside the top flap:

"HA(two unclear letters)SN 8404"

pN2DFl.jpg

MC9xCl.jpg

Not bad for £5.00!

Apologies for the poor pics, someone dropped his fancy camera in to a sandy beach pool at the weekend.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
That pack is Norwegian and not Swedish. They used to be used to hold the shelter quarter and pegs. I have several of them myself. All bought from A Norwegian Army surplus dealer.
Dave

JockBushveld

New in Town
Folks:

I just received my early Christmas present to myself, a vintage Swedish canvas rucksack, and have a few questions for those of you in the know. I have looked through some of the threads here but didn't see what I'm looking for, but I do admit that I could have missed it. That said, the shoulder straps have the rough side up and the finished side down. It seems to me that putting the rough side on the shoulders would give the straps better grip. Am I missing something or is mine set up wrong. Also, the free end of each shoulder strap has a flat, metal hook on it. I assume this would hook onto a belt or some other piece of equipment? What does one do to keep these things out of the way when walking? They seem strange just dangling there. Other than my confusion, it's a pretty nice bag in fairly good condition. Once I breath a little life back into the leather it will be ready for the great outdoors. TIA for any advice given.

Ennie

New in Town
Hello, do you like my "new" Affe (Ape) from 1934?

5942025.jpg

5942026.jpg

5942028.jpg

Some traditional german boy-scout-groups ("Bündische Jugend") and the "Wandervogel" still use them.

Greetings Ennie

Last edited:

Gijoe

A-List Customer
Folks:

I just received my early Christmas present to myself, a vintage Swedish canvas rucksack, and have a few questions for those of you in the know. I have looked through some of the threads here but didn't see what I'm looking for, but I do admit that I could have missed it. That said, the shoulder straps have the rough side up and the finished side down. It seems to me that putting the rough side on the shoulders would give the straps better grip. Am I missing something or is mine set up wrong. Also, the free end of each shoulder strap has a flat, metal hook on it. I assume this would hook onto a belt or some other piece of equipment? What does one do to keep these things out of the way when walking? They seem strange just dangling there. Other than my confusion, it's a pretty nice bag in fairly good condition. Once I breath a little life back into the leather it will be ready for the great outdoors. TIA for any advice given.

Cut off the strap 1-2 inches under the Brass Button (Pic) !!!! The Flesh side out is normal on swedish Backpacks. I used mine hardyl, a great mountain Backpack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana