Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrink a Teamster?

minisoda

Familiar Face
Have a beautiful Teamster that I received late last winter (not much time to wear before the weather warmed up). The leather is gorgeous but the fit and shoulders specifically are just a little too big/boxy for me.

I'm thinking about doing an accelerated break in with water... any chance that hot water might shrink it a bit?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Have a beautiful Teamster that I received late last winter (not much time to wear before the weather warmed up). The leather is gorgeous but the fit and shoulders specifically are just a little too big/boxy for me.

I'm thinking about doing an accelerated break in with water... any chance that hot water might shrink it a bit?
How much do you need it to shrink?

minisoda

Familiar Face
Good question... I think even a little shrinkage would make it fall better on my shoulders.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.

Well, in case you agree to leave almost all the shine behind - it might work. Or might not. Who knows. Horween CXL is quite capricious thing. Vicenza is a bit more predictable, but is way too much more gentle. The final decision - "to be or not to be" - is just up to you. If you decide to try - don't forget to buy a lot of Pecard, it'll come useful to bring the jacket back to life after all trials to shrink it.
My humble but strict advice - you'd better sell it and buy it again but in your correct size/measurements. This way it'll work for sure. Always works))

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That’s a good point HD. In my case I was fortunate that the jacket and the wool liner both shrunk uniformly and that the sleeves were still long enough when I was done. The leather football buttons did not fare well however, they pretty much disintegrated after coming out of the dryer. This was not a big deal for me as I didn’t really like those buttons to begin with and I had them replaced.
Here is a photo of the jacket post shrink with new buttons installed:
F9280D13-8700-4524-B04A-6C335C15BE99.jpeg

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
That’s a good point HD. In my case I was fortunate that the jacket and the wool liner both shrunk uniformly and that the sleeves were still long enough when I was done. The leather football buttons did not fare well however, they pretty much disintegrated after coming out of the dryer. This was not a big deal for me as I didn’t really like those buttons to begin with and I had them replaced.
Here is a photo of the jacket post shrink with new buttons installed:
View attachment 144133
Looks O'k.
P.S. I also don't like "football buttons"))

minisoda

Familiar Face
Mine is Vicenza leather.... maybe I'll start with just some warm water and see what happens before going with the nuclear dryer option.

jeo

One Too Many
Let’s see some photos first. If everything else fits well, you might not need to do anything but wear it and break it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My humble but strict advice - you'd better sell it and buy it again but in your correct size/measurements. This way it'll work for sure. Always works))
^This and only this!! Anything else could potentially ruin the jacket and render it useless. Cut your loses, sell the jacket and buy one that fits. You have the perfect template for any adjustments you need to make right now. Base your numbers for the next one off this one and then sell it! Roll those funds into your next jacket. This way you hit the ground running, if you soak and ruin it you're starting a full two steps back....

minisoda

Familiar Face
Decided to take a hot water shower with it last night and then wear it around the house for a few hours. The family was convinced that I had lost my mind. Seemed to me like leather should be able to get wet without disintegrating, but the dryer option felt pretty risky, so I skipped that.

I couldn’t be happier with the results! The original finish on the jacket was much more uniform and dark than the pictures I saw of battered seal. After the shower, the battered seal really came out. I have a nice contrast of dark and lighter browns. It just aged and looks great.

I don’t think it really shrunk much or became more fitted, but I think the process will accelerate now. I will post some before and after pics asap.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Although I was skeptible things wouldn't go south with Vicenza, glad to hear things worked out for you and look forward to pictures. :cool:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Decided to take a hot water shower with it last night and then wear it around the house for a few hours. The family was convinced that I had lost my mind. Seemed to me like leather should be able to get wet without disintegrating, but the dryer option felt pretty risky, so I skipped that.

I couldn’t be happier with the results! The original finish on the jacket was much more uniform and dark than the pictures I saw of battered seal. After the shower, the battered seal really came out. I have a nice contrast of dark and lighter browns. It just aged and looks great.

I don’t think it really shrunk much or became more fitted, but I think the process will accelerate now. I will post some before and after pics asap.

I have washed many leather jackets in the washing machine with detergent. Over many years, I have never had even a centimeter of shrinkage. The way to shrink something is to use heat to dry it. This is a bad idea for leather and risks permanently weakening the fibres.

I always dry them in the shade and it can take 3 days, depending on the weather.

For me it aids in the break in process, takes some of the shine off and may soften the jacket. But it won't change the size or accelerate any other process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk