Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silk Anoraks

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
Period Finnish fashion magazines mention that Scandinavian skiers used to wear a silk anorak (or more commonly one made from cotton) in the mountains during the 1930s. Unfortunately the garment is not described in detail. It could fit into one's palm and was made out of raw silk. Parachute silk of the period weighted around 1.5 - 2.0 oz/sq.yd or 50 - 70 g/m2 or 12 - 16 momme. The most common cotton anorak design in Finland seems to have been the one with "kangaroo pouch" in the middle of chest.

Was silk used outside Scandinavian countries during the time period? Is there any photograph of such garment?

Graemsay

Practically Family
I've heard of highly packable silk anoraks being used in Alpine mountaineering, and what I can remember would match your description. They might have been rubberised to waterproof them.

I don't know anything else beyond that. Sorry.

Otter

One Too Many
Here in Scotland in that period the most common type of that type of jacket was made from high thread count cotton canvas, Ventile type material. Back when I used to climb I remember some referances to jackets of the type you are talking about, but it was an Alpine type thing, mabe something in one of Gaston Rebuffat's books?

Edit: Some of the UK Special Forces types had two piece suits made out of parachute nylon, saw some of those back in the 90's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany