Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I guess I would add functionality and maybe history to your equation and thus bump a few up.

Those are great additions. You're right, my three criteria are too limited to do justice to the qualities of the makers you mentioned.

Mark

Practically Family
In what regard are they on par with which top makers? I thought SB was midtier.

I guess their patterns are on par with Aero's. (sorry, too easy :p)
I can only go on my experience with their jackets and jackets I own from other makers. In that respect they look and feel as good as any. However there are others better qualified than me to comment on quality etc.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not sure I agree on the customer service part. I emailed them on 22nd Jan and got a reply today , 5th Feb. That’s just crap.

Menu
That would be enough for me. If I have to wait that long to get a reply to an enquiry, the last thing I want to do is send that company a lot of money up front and hope for the best.
Also the recent experience of @JustinW turned me off of them pretty hard. After selling him a jacket that would have fit Sponge Bob perfectly, they tried to stick him with it and only changed their mind when it became clear that this was earning them bad publicity here on the lounge.

sweetfights

I have had two SB British Cafe Racer's, one in Shinki and one in Clayton.
Both were excellent. The construction and leather were both solid. The fit was to my liking which really speaks to body type for the given style.

Superfluous

tenor.gif

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I had a jacket from them and returned it immediately. Not the best experience. I'd go with Field Leathers or Thedi over them in a heartbeat in that same price range. I also bought it before I knew of their history. If I had, I never would have even bought it. It also just didn't work out for me so I have a low opinion of them from every angle.

red devil

I had a jacket from them and returned it immediately. Not the best experience. I'd go with Field Leathers or Thedi over them in a heartbeat in that same price range. I also bought it before I knew of their history. If I had, I never would have even bought it. It also just didn't work out for me so I have a low opinion of them from every angle.

Field Leathers and Thedi are more expensive

Edit: I just checked their website, their J100 is £555 in any leather (no upcharge). I don't think any of the makers here offers something in this range

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Field Leathers and Thedi are more expensive

Edit: I just checked their website, their J100 is £555 in any leather (no upcharge). I don't think any of the makers here offers something in this range
OK fair enough. I sit corrected. In that case, I would still go Vanson over them or just save up for those other makers I mentioned, but I can understand why others would not because SB does offer more leather choices than Vanson as well as more variety in designs if I'm not mistaken.

red devil

OK fair enough. I sit corrected. In that case, I would still go Vanson over them or just save up for those other makers I mentioned, but I can understand why others would not because SB does offer more leather choices than Vanson as well as more variety in designs if I'm not mistaken.

Vanson is supposed to offer patterns as good as Langlitz as far as I understand, and this would be a big plus to consider. Lose in leather, win in pattern. There are always trade offs

Pandemic

One Too Many
With FL, you are getting a fully customizable pattern. Want bells and whistles? Greg will add them! He is hand making an original just for you. Are you weirdly dysmorphic? Greg will tailor ever aspect of the jacket to fit your body. He will also spend hours in discussion with you, checking measurements and asking questions until he is happy that the fit will be right and the design is what you are looking for. Because he is passionate about his craft and he cares about giving you what you want. Then, of course, there is the Shinki hide as standard. And then there is the quality of workmanship he offers. All this for the flat thousand pound charge.

SB have some nice patterns. They offer a lot of really good leathers, many adding to the base price. They will alter the sleeve, chest, waist and body length for you. More than that and you are looking at a 'bespoke' upcharge. I think there have already been enough people documenting their experiences with quality and customer service (some positive, some negative).

El Marro

Vanson is supposed to offer patterns as good as Langlitz as far as I understand, and this would be a big plus to consider. Lose in leather, win in pattern. There are always trade offs
I have owned five stock size 46 jackets from Vanson and they all fit as well or better than my two custom Langlitz. Also, everyone I am have spoken to at Vanson has been pleasant and eager to help me. If they offered a wider selection of leathers they would be hard to beat in my opinion.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Bought a Lewis/Simmons Bilt "Redskin" D1 years ago BEFORE all the courtroom shenanigans. It's held up well, and fits me super since I've lost a ton of weight. Strictly speaking of their jackets I've no actual complaints.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass