Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is an surcharge for leathers, up to 200 GBP for japanese hh. You find that info when you scroll further down.

It‘s like 70 GBP for Horween stuff which is included at Aero, so effectively the Aero HWM and SB Roadster both set you back ~650 GBP + import costs. SB may have the edge for UK customers where Aero adds VAT.

For someone in Europe, for example, a Tailgunner in cxl steerhide (585+250) is more expensive than a Premium HWM at Aero (700 GBP). VAT is added to both.
1672235580191.png

Last edited:

nattevagten

A-List Customer
Goathide and several other leathers have no surcharge, so some jackets are still considerably cheaper at SB – Tail Gunner (£585.00) vs. Premier Highwayman (£700.00); Bootlegger (£675) vs. Detroit (£595), etc., to compare similar jackets.

newtojackets

Practically Family
There is an surcharge for leathers, up to 200 GBP for japanese hh. You find that info when you scroll further down.

It‘s like 70 GBP for Horween stuff which is included at Aero, so effectively the Aero HWM and SB Roadster both set you back ~650 GBP + import costs. SB may have the edge for UK customers where Aero adds VAT.
Are you sure, I literally went all the way to checkout and don't see any additional charge

Attachments

• simmons bilt.png
    simmons bilt.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 49

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
Ah wait, you guys are right. It isn't added to the cart price, so I'm guessing they add it later
You're not charged upon checkout they should confirm every option before sending the invoice.

In January CXL steer was only a 75£ upcharge same as Clayton.
Don't know if prices shot up or if the website is not up to date.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Harris HTM
I don't expect the final price to differ much from the stated prices on website, but they might differ slightly (rather up than down). For example, as being discussed here, SB might charge extra depending on what leather I end up choosing. Same with stuff like lining, hardware choices, inner pockets and stuff like that. I have high hopes that Aero might accept a used Aero jacket that I recently acquired as partial coverage for the upcoming order, which would bump the price down and (hopefully) mean less money wasted on taxes upon arrival to Estonia.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
@Harris HTM
I don't expect the final price to differ much from the stated prices on website, but they might differ slightly (rather up than down). For example, as being discussed here, SB might charge extra depending on what leather I end up choosing. Same with stuff like lining, hardware choices, inner pockets and stuff like that. I have high hopes that Aero might accept a used Aero jacket that I recently acquired as partial coverage for the upcoming order, which would bump the price down and (hopefully) mean less money wasted on taxes upon arrival to Estonia.
I see, hopefully they'll accept your used jacket.
The handling of VAT and duties by DHL is also ridiculously expensive, in the Netherlands they charge a fixed price of 17.5e, independent the VAT you've got to pay (three times more compared to the Postal Service charges).

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Well the VAT / Customs taxes as well as shipping expenses is a whole other topic that I will have to deal with at some point. Hoping to find a good way of avoiding having to throw a fortune down the drain in this regard. Maybe grab some cheap flights to Scotland and grab the jacket myself in person or have it delivered to a friend and then they can send it to me as a gift or something similar. Tricky topic for sure.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Well the VAT / Customs taxes as well as shipping expenses is a whole other topic that I will have to deal with at some point. Hoping to find a good way of avoiding having to throw a fortune down the drain in this regard. Maybe grab some cheap flights to Scotland and grab the jacket myself in person or have it delivered to a friend and then they can send it to me as a gift or something similar. Tricky topic for sure.
Then you'll have to pay the British VAT but definitely avoid any duties and the DHL handling charges. But a trip to Scotland is recommended.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Yeah, actually going to Scotland for the first time in my life to pick up an epic jacket would definitely add to the hype and sentimental value of the jacket for sure. Either way, will make a thread about my experience after the whole thing to share how the whole process went.

Spiney

One of the Regulars
You're not charged upon checkout they should confirm every option before sending the invoice.

In January CXL steer was only a 75£ upcharge same as Clayton.
Don't know if prices shot up or if the website is not up to date.
CXL steer is £250 upcharge on every jacket. Simmons are going to stop using it as they claim it’s too time consuming to make jackets with it because of how heavy/ thick it is.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero PHYM in England is £840 in standard leather.
Yes, of course. Because the 20% UK VAT is included. By the time the jacket arrives in Austria, I also pay 840 GBP + DHL handling fee because there is 20% VAT on import.
For the Tailgunner in CXSH it is about 1000 GBP (585 + 250 + 20% + DHL handling fee).

SB is more expensive for Europeans with the same leather, for UK residents it remains pretty much the same.

This would only change if SB would also deduct the 20% VAT for Europeans.

Goathide and several other leathers have no surcharge, so some jackets are still considerably cheaper at SB
Then there is the question of whether the SB goat is comparable to the Aero goat. Unfortunately, I have not found any information.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
CXL steer is £250 upcharge on every jacket. Simmons are going to stop using it as they claim it’s too time consuming to make jackets with it because of how heavy/ thick it is.

Wow, didn´t know that. It seems that this price is designed to stop customers from chosing it or turn them to Aero in the first place.
Makes sense to me: The reason to chose SB over Aero has only ever been the variety of hides (and some designs/design elements that Aero don´t have); for the heavy Horween hides, Aero has been and remains a top-choice, so arguably SB are moving into a different niche here.

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
Well that's a steep increase then!
I see they also increased the base price by 80£ since earlier this year.
I'll give them that they made me a heavy - 4.16kg / 9.16lbs - and thick - 1.7 / 1.8mm - jacket.
1672242661792.jpeg

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Excuse my ignorance here, but what is the difference between all those versions of HH that Sb offers?
Blattwerk, Clayton, Epsom, Metro, Ranger, Lux. I looked at the Horween website and did not see any metro or whatever. Has anybody had any experience with any of these hides?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have the Blattwerk, Clayton and Lux. I can only recommend the Lux. The blattwerk is too naked and too soft and too expensive. The Clayton stiffs up like a board after getting wet. The Lux has a heavy painted topcoat and a light brown core.
I don’t have the Milan, but it seems to be the best choice from what I see here.

sarevook

New in Town
I can't see how even cheap flight to Scotland can get you a better price than choosing postage. Jackets are made in the UK so you don't have to pay the duty within EU, only VAT, shipment cost and DHL fee. Highest VAT rate in Estonia is 20% so the same you will pay in the factory. I highly doubt you can find cheap flight + train or smth to the factory for less than 27 GBP shipment + DHL fees. I recently received jacket from Aero and I only paid 27 GBP shipment fee + around 10 GBP DHL fees. Unless you find the trip to be entertaining I don't see any savings there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner