Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sin City

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sin City...what a crime...!

Just seen it and felt it was over the top with gratuitious violence that wasn't necessary. Started really promising and just degraded down hill. Also felt it was a tad too long, so all in all, I felt disappointed by it. I really, really wanted it to be a great modern film noir rendition, but it fell miserably short. Sound track score was good, and I liked the mix of colour with b&w, but the yellow guy was just the last nail in the coffin for me. A real shame.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well BT...

BT...A WISE man from the southern hemisphere once quipped..."Just not my cup of pee..." And that sums up my opinion of it, it didn't float my boat for me. No big deal, as there seems to be a plethora of movies at the moment on my TO SEE list. Next one is Downfall (about Uncle Adolf's last 2 weeks in the Fuhrer Astoria!), then there's the mexican movie, "Maria full of Grace," and of course there's the Batman movie (how was it Holly?).
Just recently watched "The Talented Mr Ripley" and "Far From Heaven" again, and love them both...horses for courses I guess.

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
I liked it, but I'm a fan of the comic.

The main problem with the movie in my opinion was that it was always hitting the gas pedal. When you read a comic you have the opportunity to stop and admire a picture, or think about what has happened. Here you couldn't do this. And it made it a bit harder to understand the characters.

ClintonHammond

Suspended
Me, I thought Sin City was one of the best movies I've seen in say the last ten years... I hope they make 10 more just like it.

And I couldn't care less if kids see it... Movies and video games don't make kids violent... bad parenting contributes to it more...

"Then there is the total disrespect for God"
I donno... I recall the movie said nothing at all about "God.'.. but it sure did nail his 'fan club' pretty well, near as I can tell...

"putting a bloody,cut-off head on the pages of an open bible disrespectful"
I'd call it putting one prop on another prop...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Paddy, I think I just saw a trailer for "Maria full of Grace"-
seemed to be a teenage girl swallowing condoms full of heroin...

Mr. Ripley was pretty creepy-

Speaking of films revisited- 'Schindlers List' was a good watch after a few years.
Maybe not an accurate rendering of the story but a good watch anyhoo.

B
T

Dahlia

Familiar Face
I'm reviving this thread just for the fact that I watched Sin City for the first time last night...

It seems there are mixed reviews, and overall I really enjoyed it. I loved the fact that it was a comic book but as a film, there were some shots where you could tell that they paid so much attention to detail to get it to look that cool (and no, I'm not referring to the bloody scenes, I'm referring to things like profiles outlined in a doorway, the really professional and precise use of black and white without it being a black-and-white film, that sort of thing). They may have tried too hard to make it like the comic, making the film cheesy or confusing at times (I know that some people probably had no idea why characters would talk to themselves and things like that). It's not for everyone, and I don't think children should watch it (regardless of whether I think violent movies make kids violent, I know it would have disturbed me if I had watched it as a child). With all that said, I can't wait for Sin City 2.

Feraud

Bartender
I just saw Sin City. I thought I would hate it but liked it a lot. My wife did not, she could not get passed the violence. Her reaction to Reservoir Dogs was exactly the same as to this. A later viewing and some perspective has made her a big fan of R. Dogs. Maybe she will give this another viewing one day.

Sin City is the bleak, depressed, violent and sex laden Noir that drew me to the old films. Think 'Touch of Evil' or 'Out of the Past'. This film is updated to reflect the language, fashion, religious and sexual attitudes of the times. These attitudes are not necessarily correct but there none the less. There are redeeming characters in this mix of over the top prostitutes, gangsters and cops. Most of 'em get killed.

The title should say it all but I will say it again. This movie is not for children! It is 98% violence!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
What I enjoyed about this flic was that it matched the graphic novels. The actors and actresses looked like the characters they portray. I thought it was put together quite well since it was a crossover of at least three of the graphic novels, they did well. For me, a great visual ride. But, that's just my two cents.

Cheers!

Dan

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I watched it on cable last night. Sometimes too much graphic violence in a film is a turn-off to me. So overall I guess this film was a big turn-off. It was entertaining in parts, though.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I am a huge classic noir fan and I have to say I didn't like SIN CITY. The Mickey Rourke storyline (Marv) was pretty good, but the rest I found to be terrible.

I was happy to see Powers Boothe and Rutger Hauer in cameos.

But in the end I think it terms of noir cinema, it ripped off certain stylistic elements, but general adhered more to the genre of comic book, which I don't particularly dig.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I must also admit that watched Ron Perlman in 'Hellboy' last night, too. I did actually find myself enjoying it...who would have thought with a title like 'Hellboy?'

shamus

Suspended
I just saw this thread...

I liked Frank Millers Sin City. I didn't realize I had read the graphic novel years ago. I thought Willis was great. I loved the look and total Noir story line.

I did get an "un-easy" feeling on the violence, but that is what the filmmakers wanted us to feel.

I'm not sure I'd watch it again, but I did enjoy it.

I'm also not sure of the religous concerns towards the film.

It's worth seeing if you can handle unexpected violence.

Hondo

One Too Many
I thought it was okay and agree with Jack, everythings a ripoff....

but general adhered more to the genre of comic book

That was the main thing from this film that made it different

I had no problem, I've seem worse violence, this one wasn't that bad,
Right Shamus, Bruce Willis was great:cool2:

Kill or be killed.

Sin City is a vision of the modern world where everything wrong with the world is coming to a head. (Strangely, most people don't realize that no city can operate if it is totally corrupt. There have to be legitemate honest people in the background to make the infrastructure work.) Here though the failure is on the front burner for the film, corruption of the powerful: police and politicians, corruption of those that are suposed to be God's representatives on earth in Rutger Howers clergyman. Our heros are not simple clean men, they too have wallowed in the filth and taint. The bad guys all are devored by their desires for power, wealth and the need for the submission of others to their will by any means. Our heros don't submit and are punished for it. Now comes time to right a wrong and since the bad guys have no shame, usurped the power and trust they have been given, the gloves are off and our heros have nothing to lose anymore it is a no holds barred kill or be killed kind of fight.

Justice of one form or another is meeted out. Our heros suffer too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner