Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sinatra Lost Grammy Due to his Hat!

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
and, :eek:fftopic: as per Dean being cooler than Frank...The thing about that one is, that there has to be a Frank. The acme, the one by which all others are judged. Dean is so cool because he had frank as the counterpart. Much like his relationship with Jerry. Both were necessary for his survival. Not saying Dean wouldnt be the suave man we all wish we were otherwise. he made the Young Lions with Brando and Clift after he left Jerry and proved to the world who was waiting to watch him fall on his bum, that he was capable of existing without the other side being there. Im just saying Frank gets too much of a hard time, for being so good at being the classic. Its like those people who dont like Glenn Miller.

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Not entirely happy with Dean as he did, "The Sweetheart of Sigma Chi" and not, "The Dream Girl of Pi Kappa Alpha":mad:

But he is still Suave, regardless:cool2:

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr Maltby said:
In 1959, Frank Sinatra took home other Grammies for this album. However! He lost the award for the best album cover of the year because of his lid. I found this kind of humorous, and rather appropriate info for the FL.

What's the basis for saying the hat lost him the award that year? Opinion or some facts?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. Lucky said:
I didn't know he wore a hat!

Really? It's almost like when did he NOT wear a hat? In the 50's & 60's it was like he ALWAYS had a hat - probably, as mentioned, as a way to cover the receding hairline pre-toupee. But I remember loads of shows as a kid where, for example, he'd be leaning against a lamp post, with a raincoat, flicking a cigarette to the gutter, in porkpie hat or Fedora, singing "It Was a Very Good Year" or "The Lady is a Tramp" or "My Way" among various others. My partner's music director for an upcoming Frank Sinatra musical locally and I've already warned him I want to see all the different hats for the 4 eras covered so I can see if the Loungers think they're appropriate or not.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I don't think anyone would have dared to tell Frank his hat was ugly. Actually, I don't think it's a bad hat at all. Maybe it's too casual of a hat to go with a suit and tie is all. It's a lot better than some of the hats that ol' Bing wore.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Sefton said:
I don't think anyone would have dared to tell Frank his hat was ugly. Actually, I don't think it's a bad hat at all. Maybe it's too casual of a hat to go with a suit and tie is all. It's a lot better than some of the hats that ol' Bing wore.
crosby_bing_sings_christm_radio.jpg

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
Mike -

Its fact. You think I would make that up? im the biggest stingy brim fan around! But the "My Way" reference...If you look at the album art on that album, its frank at his worst, a turtle neck...hold on...im gonna find it...
FS1029.gif

If you see pictures of him then, its all turtlenecks and beads. Blame Mia! That broad ruined our mans image for a short dreadful while. Ah, oh well. We all have our moments.

Now....To put all this Frank's better, Dean's better aside...heres the two men together, with fedoras, BOTH looking slicked to the nines.
frankdeanpack.jpg

Sefton/Mr Lucky -

I know it's hard to believe, but alas. That was the decision. He did take home Album of the year though, which is way better than album cover of the year, no?

James Powers -

I appreciate that you thought of me at all, pally!

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
It could have been in the Robin and the Seven Hoods era--Sinatra wore some three piece numbers in that classic. Interesting note though, pally.

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Dino's pants..... Looks like something Justin Timberlake would sport.:rolleyes:

Very low waist (esp. when you consider how slim Dino was at that time.lol

Dude[huh] WTF?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I was going to say that the hat on the cover looks like he took it from Bing Crosby. Real old man hat. I stilll see them all the time in Hillsborough and Burlingame CA area where Bing lived.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Lincsong said:
I was going to say that the hat on the cover looks like he took it from Bing Crosby. Real old man hat. I stilll see them all the time in Hillsborough and Burlingame CA area where Bing lived.
Hmmm,I live in Burlingame right on the border of Hillsborough and the only person I ever see wearing any kind of fedora is me. I know my custom by Art isn't an old man hat so it must have been the ghost of Bing you saw...:eek:

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Sinatra's UN SWINGIN Hat

Frank has some fairly hip lids in the 1950's, but the Come Dance With Me LP hat photo is NOT one of them. Possibly either Pinky Lee :p or Soupy Sales :p were in the studio during the recordimg date??? lol lol

SC :rolleyes:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Note however that the rest of FS' attire on the Come Swing With Me jacket is impeccable. Pinned "club" collar, quiet tie, moderate lapelled greys tailored to a tee.
1749_352x350.jpg

The hat was clearly an unfortunate experiment. Was anyone else wearing these in 1959?

No, Frank had a few years yet till his musical (or sartorial) shark-jumping period...

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
I Concur FLETCH

The rest of Frank's outfit looks sharp :eusa_clap . Frank was always well dressed in fact I believe he never owned a pair of jeans.

SC ;)

PS In the 1940's/Bobby Soxer Period Frank wore trendy stuff Hollywood jackets, high waist slacks, bow ties, BUT quickly ditched that for the tailored look

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Sefton said:
Hmmm,I live in Burlingame right on the border of Hillsborough and the only person I ever see wearing any kind of fedora is me. I know my custom by Art isn't an old man hat so it must have been the ghost of Bing you saw...:eek:

You're not looking hard enough.lol I used to see them at Brothers Deli on Howard St. in the morning before they closed a couple months ago. You'll see the old guys wearing them in the morning at the various coffee shops around California Avenue, Burlingame Avenue, El Camino Real and Howard Street.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic