Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single breasted peak lapel

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
Gary Cooper 1930
2 button single breasted peak lapel
steichen_gary_cooper_b.jpg

Next time I say I'm getting a suit made, remind me that this is what I want.

MattDeckard-vi.jpg

Close enough?

vonwotan

Practically Family
I do like the look of single breasted suits with peak lapels. Here is Cary Grant in a single breasted peaked lapel suit, with Katharine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart in The Philadelphia Story.

388675501_b6f5cd4539_m.jpg

vonwotan

Practically Family
I was trying to politely ignore this... ;) Wish I could have found a still of Edward Arnold in his single breasted three piece with peaked lapels in You Can't Take It with You.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
a very elegant, understated cut: the single button peaked lapel.....

30speakedlapels.jpg

not sure if this is a single button, as Edward G has his hand in the way, but the non-drape
fit is identical....

edwardg.jpg

jacket perfection.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I think I'll get a linen single breasted peak lapel three piece made when I go to Hong Kong. Anyone recommend any tailors there with a reasonable price? I tried Sam's- maybe if I am more specific this time, they'll make me a better suit.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
single breasted peak lapel by Ralph Lauren...

...In the heavy tweed. This tweed has a red and blue line running through it.

I sewed buttons on the outside of the pants, because the side pulls were worn out.

Jovan

Suspended
Mr. Rover said:
That look doesn't work without the cutaway of the jacket, methinks. The modern single-button jackets are just too baggy and straight in the front to look right.
What companies? Every one I've seen today has been from some fashion house and tends to have more open quarters.

My friend makes a very nice single button peaked lapel, if the cut is your thing.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
herringbonekid said:
a very elegant, understated cut: the single button peaked lapel.....

30speakedlapels.jpg
Understated? I dunno. Even by the standards of the later 1930s, the coat is just too short in the skirt and gives the impression of being uncomfortably tight. And I say that irrespectively of whether it actually was comfortable. It looks as tho the coat and vest would undergo tremendous strain if one raised one's arms, bent forward or even took a deep breath.

The gent pictured was obviously long-legged, but such a short jacket makes the legs look too long. That and the funhouse mirror distortion from the windblown pantlegs makes for a rather unsettling picture.

I really think this was an early example of a style that was designed for one body type – slender, not too built, and of average height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany